eBay Best Offer - Why Do Sellers Use It?

BG John

Just now, tigerburnie said:

It was a buy it now or make an offer, what dim wit would offer more than the buy it now price.

Sorry I stand corrected, but no mention that what you described as asking price, was actually a buy it now item

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

When an item I fancy has been relisted at least twice I tend to put in a really cheeky offer. Sometimes I win, sometimes they come back with a middling counter offer, sometimes it stays listed for months at the same price (the Mallard Models Gresely suburban for example - £70? Have a laugh!).

• 1 month later...
On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 11:22, njee20 said:

the point of "make an offer" is about offering something to end the auction early (ie I think it'll end up at x, so I'll just give you that now), it's not designed as a "I don't think your item will sell so I'll offer you less than the starting price".

I think that's just a recent fad.

Best Offer, as I have operated it and understood it is that you might accept a price lower than the starting price.  Ebay even warns you about ending auctions early (although admittedly you don't get this with best offer).

Never understand people who list things at a price, you offer and they reject right out.

Then when asking "what sort of price are you looking for?" they don't bother answering or give some sort of non-committal answer.  I can't be bothered with the little "get the other person to say a price first" game, especially when they know what price I am looking at - and especially when the difference between that and the starting price is £2.50!

Similarly, I never understand people who list something at a £10 (with best offer) - you offer £8.

They reject, but it also doesn't sell.  The next auction, you offer £8 and they still reject it.

It's almost like people don't actually want to sell their stuff or certainly think it's worth more than it really is.

Many listings I think have happened by default without the seller realising it has been included. I have been caught out a couple of times (similar to Global Shipping Program beina the default option)

No excuse for not replying to an offer,  eBay offers an automated rejection system below a preset amount, which may explain the lack of replies

Make me an offer works both ways, it could be a request for higher bids to end the auction early, especially when the item is listed at a low price for what it is

22 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Best Offer, as I have operated it and understood it is that you might accept a price lower than the starting price.  Ebay even warns you about ending auctions early (although admittedly you don't get this with best offer).

Exactly, especially when there are plenty of the same item to choose from. I have been watching and Just won an item that failed to sell and was relisted twice. On its third listing I offered 25% under the starting price, which was accepted. Other sellers of the same item seem to be holding out at even higher starting prices.

23 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

eBay only warn you about ending items early on straight auctions with no offers or buy it now options, as you wont be covered if the sale goes wrong

23 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Never understand people who list things at a price, you offer and they reject right out.

Then when asking "what sort of price are you looking for?" they don't bother answering or give some sort of non-committal answer.  I can't be bothered with the little "get the other person to say a price first" game, especially when they know what price I am looking at - and especially when the difference between that and the starting price is £2.50!

Similarly, I never understand people who list something at a £10 (with best offer) - you offer £8.

They reject, but it also doesn't sell.  The next auction, you offer £8 and they still reject it.

It's almost like people don't actually want to sell their stuff or certainly think it's worth more than it really is.

I use offers on my auctions, I list an item at the very least I want for it, say £50, I set the auto reject for offers up to just less than I would like to sell it for, say £60.   If someone  offers me £61, I'll counter with £70 in the hope they raise their offer.  If they do, great.  If they dont thats fine.  If I get no offers and it sells for 1 bid on £50, then thats a risk I've taken.  If it doesnt sell, I dont relist it for a good while.  

Why dont I list it at the price I'd like to sell it for you might ask?  To draw people in, if there are 10 of the same item on at £70 but one at £50, the lower priced one will get more views, and more bids as people want to grab a bargain.  Folk can get into bidding wars and the item can go for way above what I'd ever imagine I'd get (sold an Ian Kirk set of kits a while back, I would have been happy with £40 for them, I got well over £300)

Some buyers can get really cheeky with offers and get all snotty when you dont accept them.  

Why don't I list 

Same here for the automatic  offer listing .I then have to reject offers .I swear ebay just slap it on at random so I watch out now .Normally  I want the listed price ,Thats what Its there for  but its always worth a try on the buyers part.one rejected buyer scalded me for not accepting his low offer stating that as there wasnt much  money involved he was surprised I didnt accept .I then replied the same for the reverse .if he wanted why didnt he just pay the price .It wasnt  a huge sum.

Most stuff goes in the end as long as it isnt outrageously priced.you just wait .If I want to sell it quick I just put a really good price on it that a buyer just cant refuse.I have done this with guitar stuff to pay for  another one ,Same with locos.Good old Ebay .

Edited by friscopete
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, friscopete said:

.one rejected buyer scalded me for not accepting his low offer stating that as there wasnt much  money involved he was surprised I didnt accept .I then replied the same for the reverse .if he wanted why didnt he just pay the price .It wasnt  a huge sum.

I would keep well away from a buyer with this sort of attitude, may be asking for trouble

Why moan at sellers asking price !!  If you don't like it then don't buy it

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It looks like best offer is getting confused with buy it now. So if a seller starts an auction with a start price of £50 but really wants £60 then Set the buy it now to £60. Best offer means just that, it can be either higher or lower than the start price. Unfortunately many on eBay have unrealistic thoughts on what there items are worth. I recently made a best offer after an item I was watching didn’t sell my offer was refused, did I get the hump, no.

51 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

It looks like best offer is getting confused with buy it now. So if a seller starts an auction with a start price of £50 but really wants £60 then Set the buy it now to £60. Best offer means just that, it can be either higher or lower than the start price. Unfortunately many on eBay have unrealistic thoughts on what there items are worth. I recently made a best offer after an item I was watching didn’t sell my offer was refused, did I get the hump, no.

Its not just eBay, my second job after leaving school was for Dixons Photographic, then the electrical side was very small and there was a thriving second hand business, everyone who bought in their cameras/equipment had an inflated view of its value. Property is the same, sellers value their home on what a similar house sells for, regardless of the different specifications between the two or the difference in location

True some do have an unrealistic opinion of what their items are worth, if its too high it doesn't sell. On the other hand many don't. quite often starting the auction at 99p, clearly to create interest and to start a bidding frenzy. Like most I prefer to buy under what I perceive is market value, just because I do not want to pay what they ask does not mean its too expensive.

On the other hand as a seller my intention is to get as much as I can for the item. I list items at the minimum amount I would be happy to let the items go for, just because one group of buyers feel its too expensive does not mean I have an an inflated view of its worth. Or I have an item that if I wait for the correct buyer will get me more than what I get on a quick sale within 7 days

Or the person who runs a business selling items at MRRP, if I am desperate for that item I will pay it, but would prefer to buy the item for less if I have the chance. Many do not have the luxury of a decent model shop on their doorstep and rely on these traders. 

Still how bland life would be if we all thought the same

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I recently listed a second hand Craghoppers shirt for auction starting  at £9.95 and thought that if I got anywhere near £15, I would be happy. I then received a message offering £28. needless to say, I leapt at that. :D

I have also listed some N gauge rolling stock BIN with offers invited. Most went for asking price, the offers were within a couple of quid and helped shift everything a bit quicker.

Edited by Night Train
  • Like 1