Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

Thanks to DJM Dave...

For the exciting news and updates, and highlighting what will be standard features, your definitely selling it to me to buy two..., if only hey!

With Regards to the Sound for the APT-P, I would love to have but is it, the real thing as the recordings for this iconic train wasn't heard of back then and I guess electrics sound like all other electrics despite what class of loco it was, because its electric!

Does anyone know if the APT-P at Crewe is in full working order still, I'm sure one of my fellow RMWeber's will know the answer to that...?

I'd be interested to hear from those that do have a Sound APT-P even if it is currently on the Hornby Model, thumbs up... if you recommend the Sound... How many different function keys are there etc. Which is the better version to buy, the v4.0 or Zimo or any other that can be recommended.

Finally, which is the best Speaker for the job, sugar cube or base sounds etc, not that it would sound anything like a Deltic that needs those deeper pitches, so I'm guessing a base speaker wouldn't be needed but advice on the best for the very best iconic train that ever ran for that era...!

Recommendations on which Sound Chip & Speaker would be well appreciated.

Regards

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

'

Does anyone know if the APT-P at Crewe is in full working order still, I'm sure one of my fellow RMWeber's will know the answer to that...?

No it’s not worked in 30 years, unlikely ever to work again. Best hope is to get a class 91 as power some day, but costs alone would be beyond the horizon, and of the 7 remaining cars there’s only 150 seats in it, so it would never wash its face if someone did.

Concorde has a better chance, and that’s a no hope too.

It does have lights and a working tilt though... enough for a party !

Edited by adb968008

Thanks for that adb968008

Sounds like the same as the class 89 (89001) at Barrow Hill, after GNER had run it into the ground.  

I take it, its powered externally through some thick extension lead :nono:  to the APT then to get it to tilt and light up by the sounds of that

(no pun intended on my Sound question :no: )

Don't get me started on the Concorde another Iconic of the Air as is the APT-P of the Rails.

If Only the APT had the same funding as what the Concorde had, we would have had tilting trains way before it was ever considered elsewhere in the world!

Nice to talk about two Great Icons of this world that sadly is now more.

Regards

Jamie

The 91 was developed from the APT power cars wasn't it? how similar would they have sounded?

Hi GordonC

I never knew that, interesting, I guess they would sound the same then, from that information!

APT Entered 1979

APT-P was in Service in 1980-1986, so the class 89/90/91 were built, so... I wonder if there are much differences between the APT-P and the other sounding Electrics of that time period.

Most Likely Sound

Build Date for the class 92 was 1993-1996 (I'm guessing this would sound the least like the APT-P)

Build Date for the class 91 was 1988-1991

Build Date for the class 90 was 1987-1990

Build Date for the class 89 was 1986

Least likely Sound

Build Date for the class 87 was 1973-1975

Build Date for the class 86 was 1965-1966

Build Date for the class 85 was 1961-1964

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

• RMweb Premium

From what I can glean, 89001 is being rebuilt so that it can infact run again and earn money. The AC Loco Group seems to be spending lots on money on her, but the reports on the open part of their webpage don't get updated very often...

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi GordonC

I never knew that, interesting, I guess they would sound the same then, from that information!

Yes, the class 89 & 91 were built, so... I wonder if there are much differences between the APT-P and the other sounding Electrics of that time period.

Build Date for the class 91 was 1988-1991

Build Date for the class 89 was 1986

Regards

Jamie

Above my pay grade that one, but I understand the IC225 concept (140mph Class 91 and DVT) was based on the APT Technology and Power car, I'm sure someone here knows.

Class 89 is a Brush product and I understand closer in commonality to the Channel Tunnel Bo-Bo-Bos but again I'm sure someone here better than me knows.

According to Wikipedia (I know, not that reliable!) the APT-P had 4 × Asea LJMA410F traction motors. It refers to this page:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080821122335/http://www.therailwaycentre.com/Recognition%20Tech%20Data%20EMU/EMU_370.html

HI DoubleDeckInterurban

That's a great website, I get side tracked on sites like that as they are so full of information and great photo Index to, Thanks you for sharing that Information.

Regards

Jamie

N & OO Gauge Crowdfunded APT Press release Friday 12th January 2018

With it now being 7 weeks since the surprise announcement at the Warley MRC 2017 exhibition, it is time for a progress report.

Both Durham Trains of Stanley and DJModels Ltd are very pleased with progress so far with OO, running at over 65% of the total required to be self funding in all aspects achieved, and more orders coming in on a daily basis.

The N gauge is, surprisingly, just over 25% funded so far but it is hoped that as more become aware of the project they will jump on board and order.

Adverts will soon start to appear in the press pushing the project forward into modellers consciousness, and press releases will continue to be released as we go along.

For those that do not know, this model promises to be the train a lot of you have always wished for, and to that aim we have specified and had agreed the specification which is available online, but a few things do need to be reiterated here.

Namely,

A working tilting mechanism in both gauges, Next18 or higher decoder socket, On board DCC sound capability, directional lighting, internal car lighting throughout, heavy metal chassis and gearing based on the best of Japanese / American Practice in design and construction, Seats with correct tartan seat and seat back design and colours, Painted and finished buffet car, fully modelled and painted cab interior with cab lighting, removable nose with accessory pack containing buffers and lifting arm for nose and NEM coupling for those that wish this feature, 5 pole skew wound motor with flywheels and a host of other fine detail you would expect for such a prestigious model.

Design still goes on in the background as it is felt that working through the design features of the model now, will give us a ‘head start’ on the model and testing before the model goes into tooling. However the thinking process on how we can make this model even better goes on, and we welcome any ideas our customers might have to help develop what could be the ultimate model electric train made.

There will be regular updates from this moment forward, and once we reach the line, and hopefully cross it, we will organise the laser scanning party at Crewe Heritage Centre.

Best regards

Mick Worrell (Durham Trains of Stanley)

Dave Jones (DJModels Ltd) 

Hi DJM Dave

Excellent Updates and thank you for the Information on the CrowdFunded side of things, that all clearly understood.

Will the APT-P have the Door Steps that pull out, hard to replicate would be a nice touch, and the Doors sliding open, I'm guessing that wish list is more of a dream, but like most Bachmann Models the cabs have spring loaded opening doors, Have you considered making the Cab door a spring loaded opening door, it would be a great Add-On if you haven't taken the possibility in to the possibilities of that being ever possible on the new model. Just a thought as you were open to any idea's for others that may or may not be possible... but it would look great to have if at all possible.

Regards

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Hi DJM Dave

Excellent Updates and thank you for the Information on the CrowdFunded side of things, that all clearly understood.

Will the APT-P have the Door Steps that pull out, hard to replicate would be a nice touch, and the Doors sliding open, I'm guessing that wish list is more of a dream, but like most Bachmann Models the cabs have spring loaded opening doors, Have you considered making the Cab door a spring loaded opening door, it would be a great Add-On if you haven't taken the possibility in to the possibilities of that being ever possible on the new model. Just a thought as you were open to any idea's for others that may or may not be possible... but it would look great to have if at all possible.

Regards

Jamie

Jamie it's expensive enough already. :) :)

Hi DJM Dave

Regards

Jamie

Jamie it's expensive enough already. :) :)

I find a lot of that sort of stuff are just gimmicks. I ask who would have any use of that other than as a simple decoration or something that's 'just there'. The spring loaded doors would not be possible due to most (if not all) of the doors are sliding plug doors. This would be hard to recreate, and even if they could make it that will raise the price even higher (as Colin_McLeod has already mentioned) and this feature wouldn't be able to work without DCC either. Some will disagree with me, but this just my opinion.

I have a sound equipped Hornby APT at the moment, and am considering ordering one of these to replace it.

I have 3 ESU 3.5 version chips on board, one at each end with horns and door cab opening and compressor sounds on, and one for the power car noises.  These were recorded by Legomanbiffo, I understand from the APT at Crewe, so presumably it was started up for him.  There are recordings on his YouTube channel of his similarly equipped APT set.

Edited by Dixie Dean
  • Like 2

I have a sound equipped Hornby APT at the moment, and am considering ordering one of these to replace it.

I have 3 ESU 3.5 version chips on board, one at each end with horns and door cab opening and compressor sounds on, and one for the power car noises.  These were recorded by Legomanbiffo, I understand from the APT at Crewe, so presumably it was started up for him.  There are recordings on his YouTube channel of his similarly equipped APT set.

Hi Dixie Dean

That sounds good, I'll give that a look into with the sound chip!

Regards

Jamie

Hi DJM Dave

Regards

Jamie

Hi all

Perhaps a miss understanding here... with regards to the Door Steps that pull out and the opening sliding doors, I know the APT doors all have Sliding Doors and I know that would be so expensive to achieve, which is correct, it would just add to the final price of the APT...! (That would be a first to have opening doors any UK OO Gauge coach regardless of APT/Mk1/Mk2/Mk3/Mk4 etc., we are only just starting to get lighting on some Mk2 & Mk3, so I know to have opening doors would be a huge undertake and timely efforts and cost to achieve, perhaps in 10 years time that may be the norm to have opening doors on coaches) hence... I'm guessing that wish list is more of a dream...!

I was only really referring to the Opening Cab doors, just like all other Bachman/Hornby Cab Doors that Open on other models, so it would only be 4 doors max I'm taking it.

I hope that as explains what doors I was referring to.

Regards

Jamie

post-5212-0-22509200-1515984231.jpg

• RMweb Premium

But again... why? So you can poke it and say “look, it opens!”. You’re not going to be running with the door open, and if it’s sprung then it’ll only stay open with some sort of grossly overscale finger involvement.

Hi all

Perhaps a miss understanding here... with regards to the Door Steps that pull out and the opening sliding doors, I know the APT doors all have Sliding Doors and I know that would be so expensive to achieve, which is correct, it would just add to the final price of the APT...! (That would be a first to have opening doors any UK OO Gauge coach regardless of APT/Mk1/Mk2/Mk3/Mk4 etc., we are only just starting to get lighting on some Mk2 & Mk3, so I know to have opening doors would be a huge undertake and timely efforts and cost to achieve, perhaps in 10 years time that may be the norm to have opening doors on coaches) hence... I'm guessing that wish list is more of a dream...!

I was only really referring to the Opening Cab doors, just like all other Bachman/Hornby Cab Doors that Open on other models, so it would only be 4 doors max I'm taking it.

I hope that as explains what doors I was referring to.

Regards

Jamie

We were (at least I was) aware of what you were talking about. See next paragraph. We're not turning down the idea but I feel this is not something that is really necessary as a part of the already heavily detailed plan for this model.

But again... why? So you can poke it and say “look, it opens!”. You’re not going to be running with the door open, and if it’s sprung then it’ll only stay open with some sort of grossly overscale finger involvement.

This is exactly what I meant by 'Gimmick'. The only benefit from sprung cab doors is amusement for pushing them open and closing them. I've seen in quite a few detailing projects that the springs are removed and you'd either have the door glued wide open or you'd have a guy leaning out of it. Although sprung buffers is now becoming a standard, and really I have no problem with this, although for the case of rolling stock they do become useless when they are spaced too far apart. Than they're a gimmick. 

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

I can see more use for something like opening cab doors for things like shunters where it might be propped open by staff hanging out the door while shunting around. But not for a high-speed express unit so the time it would spent open is probably minimal and its already a very detailed and expensive model

• RMweb Premium

Yep, agreed, quite a nice feature to have someone hanging out of the door of a loco parked in a depot or something, but utterly pointless on something like this. Likewise (for me) DCC opening doors too. It's all just gimmicks.

Hi everyone,

APT orders continue to come in, and I need to clarify a couple of things..... although i’m open to ideas, I’m not open to doors ;-)

Would be nice if we could incorporate dcc operated opening plug doors, and maybe we could, but the price would sky rocket I think.

I think the price for the APT will be seen as quite fare when compared to new model prices nowadays and in the near future.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 5