RMweb

Scottish steam for 2018

shunny

This is just a tease but I have been reliably informed that next year we will finally get a model of a Scottish steam class from Hornby as one of there new 2018 models.

I am not going to say where I got this as I don't want anything being traced back to the person and I don't want to spoil Hornby's announcement but I am pleased that we will be finally getting a super detailed model off a Scottish prototype.

It is the season for frothing (I make no apologies for the froth moaners) so I thought I would give us Scottish modellers some good news and to make up for Hornby's recent lack of teasing on the engine shed blog.

• Like 5

They're re-releasing the Triang Caley Single in the Railroad range?

One can hope they update the mess that is the Triang Single!

I consider the most likely Scottish engines to be made would be an 812, J36 or Caley Single, if this does bear fruit hopefully more down the road?

A Jones goods would be stunning in original HR livery, Hornby could also produce this in LMS black.

Three liveries for that one - HR (dark) green, "improved engine green" and LMS black.

812 class would surely be the obvious choice - a pretty pre-grouping livery, long lived and of course very similar indeed to the already produced 700 class.

• Like 1

Three liveries for that one - HR (dark) green, "improved engine green" and LMS black.

812 class would surely be the obvious choice - a pretty pre-grouping livery, long lived and of course very similar indeed to the already produced 700 class.

Why wait for that one? I'm almost finished another hack about to turn it into an 812. :butcher:

• Like 1

Please let it be an ex-CR Dunalastair/Pickersgill 4-4-0, arguably the most elegant and long lasting Scottish loco.

(As an aside I have often wondered why the manufacturers have not gone for a K2/2, especially with all those lovely Loch names, and their English counterparts.

Hoping for something blue, but I think it’s Maude. No worries I’ll still buy it. Hopefully it will demonstrate there is a market for Scottish locos

Aye, in which case it'll be down to us to put our money where our mouth is. I might be forced into doing overtime!

D4

• RMweb Premium

That's what I think. And some NBR rolling stock.

Hornby's first batch of Gresley teak non-corridors (R4515 1st - 32078, R4516 3rd - 3182, R4517 lav compo - 32456 and R4518 brake 3rd - 3731) all had the pre-1946 3xxxx running numbers as they were assigned to the LNER Southern Section area (i.e. ex-North British)

It'll be very interesting if some NBR carriages were also released to add variety, there are a few survivors in varying states of repair to measure up at Bo'ness and one carriage on the Strathspey. 

• RMweb Premium

Yes but Maude is primarily a freight loco, so doesn't need matching coaches at all. Ironically Oxford have some NB minerals that would go just fine. I'll be happy with Maude but would have been ecstatic at an 812 with kat lovely Caley livery. Still you never know . I believe Maude has been measured up though, while no mention of 812 getting measured.

Several J36s on the trainset so I suppose it was inevitable that after all the effort in kit building someone will produce a rtr!

Maude on the table at Alloa..built by one of our members who also has an equally superb Caley Jumbo.

post-2371-0-37287000-1512305788_thumb.jpg

I echo a previous poster in requesting a Caley 4-4-0 but whatever the forthcoming Scottish offering might be please choose a prototype that ran through until near the end of steam.

This would make much more marketing sense as it would suit modellers of all eras rather than limit it to a restricted period.

Caley Coaches are apparently to produce a 'Bogie' but of a class that was extinct by 1950!..why?

Is it not obvious that it would appeal to many more if they chose one of the very similar and beautiful 4-4-0s that graced the rails not just from the 'first'  blue era but right up until the 60s.

Dave.

• Like 3