OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

Having watched the WSR Mogul trundle through Blue Anchor last week it certainly does not click - but then no doubt it has a more modern brake system. I wonder how the Dapol team sourced their recording for this.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Andy Keane said:

Having watched the WSR Mogul trundle through Blue Anchor last week it certainly does not click - but then no doubt it has a more modern brake system. I wonder how the Dapol team sourced their recording for this.

Remember it's not a real Mogul, Andy.

That won't make much difference to the sounds because of standardisation and being derived from a very similar (under the skin) Prairie but worth bearing in mind.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Remember it's not a real Mogul, Andy.

That won't make much difference to the sounds because of standardisation and being derived from a very similar (under the skin) Prairie but worth bearing in mind.

Yes I did know that - but the real issue is the change to the air brake systems on almost all preserved locos I guess.

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Yes I did know that - but the real issue is the change to the air brake systems on almost all preserved locos I guess.

I must admit I don't follow the heritage scene very closely but I didn't know they were being changed to air brakes. I think I can hear vacuum pumps spitting on many recent videos of GWR locos and the last times I was near to one of the Manors and 2999 they both made spitty/clicky sounds from their vacuum pumps.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Mainline running locos are equipped with air brakes for the train but retain their vacuum brakes for the engine and heritage line working. The sound of GWR motion operated vacuum pumps can vary between quite harsh and softer depending on their condition 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3