OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

On 12/02/2024 at 09:21, wainwright1 said:

I had been contemplating the ROD liveried version of this in khaki livery but disliked the very light 'sand' livery they showed on the pre-production model. I saw somewhere that it was said that the error in the livery had been noted and would be corrected to Khaki for the production model. However, when I saw the model yesterday, it would appear that nothing has been corrected.

Interesting that my observations have not generated any comments.

I am sure that if this had been a Hornby model the experts would have been queuing up to tear strips off them.

It looks like Dapol have got the black wrong on some of the other versions ?

Sounds like the original class 73 livery issues all over again.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

I am sure that if this had been a Hornby model the experts would have been queuing up to tear strips off them.

It's either weary acceptance, too early for most people to have formed their own opinions or not wanting have a go at a manufacturer that is making a decent effort to upgrade a model and provide new variations.

But to get the colour black wrong is a bit of a howler...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps Dapol need to get a lady or two involved with their colour choices. Females are often better-equipped to see subtle differences in colour acuity than are males, and recent scientific research supports this assertion. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

There certainly has been discussion of the ROD livery, both here and on another thread. But I think it's inevitable that it will generate less conversation compared to the more "normal" everyday liveries of GWR/BR. Liveries are clearly Dapol's Achilles heel. They are capable of getting insanely intricate liveries right, while making basic mistakes on common liveries. They certainly aren't alone in that but it does seem to happen a bit more regularly with them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

I have the lined version (4321), a nice model undoubtedly but as someone earlier pointed out, the crest on the tender is far too dark and the lining seems a bit indistinct - I would even go as far to say that Oxford did a better job with the livery on their Dean Goods a few years back. Given their excellent attempt at SECR green on the D class, it's a bit frustrating that they can't seem to get something so relatively simple as GWR lined green right.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, The Badger said:

I have the lined version (4321), a nice model undoubtedly but as someone earlier pointed out, the crest on the tender is far too dark and the lining seems a bit indistinct - I would even go as far to say that Oxford did a better job with the livery on their Dean Goods a few years back. Given their excellent attempt at SECR green on the D class, it's a bit frustrating that they can't seem to get something so relatively simple as GWR lined green right.

I guess it’s down to opinions.

I agree about the garter crest being dark and slightly indistinct.

However regarding the lining I personally prefer that Dapol have done it so subtly. To me it appears more realistic.

I don’t want to go back to the days when GWR and BR OO models had the lining so bold that it was still distinct at 20 feet away.

As for the GW green on Dapol’s new 43xx I think it’s an improvement on their previous rendition.

Edited by rprodgers
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, rprodgers said:

As for the GW green on Dapol’s new 43xx I think it’s an improvement on their previous rendition.

I can vouch for the green being an improvement, I can also vouch for the black being abhorrent.

DSCN9252.JPG.05b179c16fbf560c4a6289ea00df6fb3.JPG

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

If I decide to buy one, it will be a loco and tender body only as I will be building to P4 standards. I have two of the etched chassis produced by Chuffer Davies before they escaped to Brassmasters.  My concern is more about the cab roof profile than the paint as I will be repainting anyway. My impression is that with Panzer grey black ones and dark yellow (Dunkel Gelb) ROD ones, Dapol are trying to convert you lot to armour modelling.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I can vouch for the green being an improvement, I can also vouch for the black being abhorrent.

4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

In what way Rob is the Black so off? Is it because Dapol realise that there can only be a filthy Mogul and so it won't matter?

Sorry, also I think that Green is far too Victorian Toilet Tile Green. 

Still love the Dapol Moguls though. I do not need another one...no way.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Georgevonse said:

What impact will the closure of Hattons Model Railways have on the availability and pricing of their exclusive products, and how will it affect the overall model rail industry?

Have you read the Hatton’s closing thread? Your issues have been discussed thoroughly there, whereas this a thread about Dapol products that are not exclusives. Most if not all of Hatton’s exclusives have been taken on by someone else.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I just returned my grey mogul.

I couldn't live with it and I couldn't face dismantling it, masking it up, buying an airbrush, learning to airbrush, etc., etc... to put it right.

😞

Edited by Harlequin
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Here's a comparison between an Accurascale Manor and the Dapol Mogul. 

It's the best I can manange but the light in the shop is not the best. 

20240215_131727-02.jpeg.bd1c66bd4ca197ea78f36799a2908039.jpeg

Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

All the black parts on this Dapol 7mm loco are brush painted in enamels - matt black, a hint of brown and an even smaller hint of gunmetal. Thin the paint right down to a milky consistency with white spirit, use a large soft brush aiming for one stroke covering the area evenly as quickly as possible. Use natural breaks such as the chimney base etc. Avoid any temptation to fiddle and after it has throughly dried, buff slighty with kitchen roll or flick with a clean brush, to smooth out any marks.

No need to mask or airbrush and you can always give it a 2nd coat as so thin.

245042093_DSC_3792(3).JPG.554cc0188b44b426f290d714b63d76e7.JPG.d2b82ae174d773747a46498dfbe1014a.JPG

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Here's a comparison between an Accurascale Manor and the Dapol Mogul. 

It's the best I can manange but the light in the shop is not the best. 

20240215_131727-02.jpeg.bd1c66bd4ca197ea78f36799a2908039.jpeg

Rob

Many thanks Rob for this. A definitive outing for black without question. The trick is to enlarge the images of both. The Accurascale Manor remains sharp black. The Dapol Mogul fades outward with a tinge of pink. Well it does to my eyes anyway. The conclusion has to be that the smoke box black on the GWR Moguls is unfortunately repeated with the overall black of the WR examples. Both models shown on your image are lined with small BR e/c. 

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Many thanks Rob for this. A definitive outing for black without question. The trick is to enlarge the images of both. The Accurascale Manor remains sharp black. The Dapol Mogul fades outward with a tinge of pink. Well it does to my eyes anyway. The conclusion has to be that the smoke box black on the GWR Moguls is unfortunately repeated with the overall black of the WR examples. Both models shown on your image are lined with small BR e/c. 

The A/S Manor smokebox has a matt finish which makes it look lighter.

The Dapol Mogul's smokebox has the same satin finish as the rest of the black areas on that model and similar to the non-smokebox areas of the A/S Manor - and similar to 99% of GWR loco models we've ever seen.

Dapol would be very foolish indeed to try to replicate the different surface finish of the A/S Manor smokebox by greying down their standard satin finish over the entire model - and I don't think that's what they've done. I think they've either chosen to use grey for some other reason that's difficult to understand or it's a factory mistake.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

The A/S Manor smokebox because that has a matt finish which makes it look lighter.

The Dapol Mogul's smokebox has the same satin finish as the rest of the black areas on that model and similar to the non-smokebox areas of the A/S Manor - and similar to 99% of GWR loco models we've ever seen.

Dapol would be very foolish indeed to try to replicate the different surface finish of the A/S Manor smokebox by greying down their standard satin finish over the entire model - and I don't think that's what they've done. I think they've either chosen to use grey for some reason that's difficult to understand or it's a factory mistake.

Well if you consider the “khaki” Mogul,my money would be on factory error. Given current circumstances,it must be difficult for Dapol to keep a grip on matters at the factory face. 

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

The lining looks better on the Dapol model though.

Swings and Roundabouts!

Jason

Can't say as I'd be offended with that Mogul personally but each to their own. As soon as you weather black it goes grey anyway.  It's a bit like these really: 

image.png.fff67a63103c5f1eff110e20314ba9dd.png

• Like 6

I've received Great Western green 5350 earlier.  Out-of-the-box IMHO, the loco starts more smoothly than the Accurascale Manor I had and the first edition of the mogul from Dapol.  There's the odd hint of cogging, but only during the first speed step.  Above that first speed step, running is excellent. Hopefully, this will improve with more running.  Whilst the satin very dark grey/faded black (the rendition of black) appears ideal for the chassis area, it does look strange on the smokebox and roof.  I'll probably use powders weathering to improve the roof and smokebox.

• Informative/Useful 1

Regarding DCC running, I decided to look at trying a Zimo MX617F decoder via a LAISDCC NEXT18 Adapter.  Much smoother starting than with the Next 18 Decoder. With the the MX617F, running right from the start is excellent throughout.

Running further with the MX617F has been excellent.  Definitely a smoother start that either the Accurascale Manor or the earlier 43xx.

There was quite a bit of movement forward and backwards from the front pony pivot and in the tender connection.  A shim has easily sorted the front pony.  I might simplify the tender to a bar connection, if that looks practical at a later date.

Edited by liathach
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/02/2024 at 19:25, Craigw said:

My impression is that with Panzer grey black ones and dark yellow (Dunkel Gelb) ROD ones, Dapol are trying to convert you lot to armour modelling.

I foiled their plan by already doing (a limited amount of) military modelling. Their ROD loco is way too light for dunkelgelb. 😉

Khaki is a quite a light colour (especially if the uniform has been washed a lot) so it may be "correct" in that respect, what I don't know is what the actual colour the ROD locos should be. Were they actually khaki drab, a quite different colour than khaki and probably more in keeping with the European theatre? It doesn't really bother me too much as it's not a livery I'm interested in.

Found a discussion by military types here:

https://landships.activeboard.com/t51746194/railway-operating-division-rod-colours/

image.png.930127c60a0746f0f56a670fa839ae44.png

• Like 3