OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

One line I've never visited - remedial action required!

Front seats on a DMU are the biz!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I’m quite happy with the body and livery of my mogul from the first batch (number 7310), but I’d prefer the running / gearing characteristics of the second batch. Has anyone done a chassis swap or just generally removed and then reassembled the loco body? Anything to watch out for? Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

I’m quite happy with the body and livery of my mogul from the first batch (number 7310), but I’d prefer the running / gearing characteristics of the second batch. Has anyone done a chassis swap or just generally removed and then reassembled the loco body? Anything to watch out for? Thanks. 

Or is it possible to buy the motor and or gearing  as spares and swop ? Another thought is the motor / gearing from the Manor compatible?

I used to know a mechanic who could take 4 Mini  and 1100 engines and gearboxes and build 3 combinations and still have bits spare .

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 1466 said:

I used to know a mechanic who could take 4 Mini  and 1100 engines and gearboxes and build 3 combinations and still have bits spare .

I've been taking things apart, putting them back together and ending up with spares all my life. I didn't realise that was anything clever.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

On 28/02/2024 at 16:57, 1466 said:

Or is it possible to buy the motor and or gearing  as spares and swop ? Another thought is the motor / gearing from the Manor compatible?

Good shout. I have sent an email to Dapol to ask this question as I can’t see the parts listed as spares on their site. Thanks. 

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Adrock said:

I have sent an email to Dapol to ask this question as I can’t see the parts listed as spares on their site.

DCC supplies are the official spares partner. They list both motor and gears but it doesn't say which version, or if it is actually possible to swap - its certainly not shown as if its a simple drop in unit.

https://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/43xx-mogul-oo-gear-set-4/

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

DCC supplies are the official spares partner. 

Not any more. They only hold Dapol spares for warranty work. The official Dapol spares supplier is now Peter's Spares.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rembrow said:

Not any more. They only hold Dapol spares for warranty work. The official Dapol spares supplier is now Peter's Spares.

Peters bought up some old stock but I thought, at the time, it was made clear they haven't taken over as the main source.

Interestingly though Dapol now have some stuff on their website particularly for newer releases so perhaps they will just supply direct.

I needed some spares from the Lionheart 45xx when it had just come out and didnt ever manage to get any, even through Dapol, so unfortunately I dont think its as easy as it used to be.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 3

19 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Peters bought up some old stock but I thought, at the time, it was made clear they haven't taken over as the main source.

Interestingly though Dapol now have some stuff on their website particularly for newer releases so perhaps they will just supply direct.

I needed some spares from the Lionheart 45xx when it had just come out and didnt ever manage to get any, even through Dapol, so unfortunately I dont think its as easy as it used to be.

Yes, looks like there are now several sources, rather than DCC Supplies being the sole source. I don't think Dapol stock any 'oo' gauge spares now. I thought that DCC was just going to be there for warranty work only, and the spares side was going to fade out, but looks like they are still a source.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, rembrow said:

Yes, looks like there are now several sources, rather than DCC Supplies being the sole source. I don't think Dapol stock any 'oo' gauge spares now. I thought that DCC was just going to be there for warranty work only, and the spares side was going to fade out, but looks like they are still a source.

Its not very clear. I cant find where i read Peters had only bought old stock but it was on here somewhere - they certainly don't have anything recent in 7mm anyway.

Dapol have got 2 windows available from the recent Lionheart narrow gauge coaches but not much!

Back to this topic, both Peters and DCC supplies have a 43xx motor and gears but i suspect its the old one as the rest of the spares that can be identified, look like the first release.

Hello,

Reading the later posts about the higher ratio of the new chassis, during development it was necessary to also modify the bearing holes of the chassis to accept the new gears initially for the prairie models followed by the Manor, and now the new 43xx Mogul locomotives, so unfortunately the gears are not interchangeable between chassis.

• Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/02/2024 at 20:58, Coach bogie said:

I would like to recommend the David Andrews book on the moguls. Details of every locomotive. with images and description of all the variations/modifications. I had to borrow a friend's copy for years until I found a signed copy in a charity shop.

Mike Wiltshire

moguls book.jpg

This is indeed a cracking little book, that deserves far more recognition than it received. An absolute must for Churchward disciples!

I encountered a copy in the second hand bookshop in Cromer this week. Very good condition and for only £3, an absolute bargain.

Regards,

Andy.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 04/03/2024 at 20:30, coeurdelyon said:

Hello,

Reading the later posts about the higher ratio of the new chassis, during development it was necessary to also modify the bearing holes of the chassis to accept the new gears initially for the prairie models followed by the Manor, and now the new 43xx Mogul locomotives, so unfortunately the gears are not interchangeable between chassis.

Picked up one of the new release Moguls at Rails today ( along with a couple of useful £10 vouchers  ) . Have to say I’m immensely impressed by the improvement in performance and yes with the overall finsh ,despite qualms about the livery application. For me a lesson in seeing what you’re buying in a display cabinet rather than the usual virtual experience online. Worth the drive,the ghastly weather and 3 way traffic lights at the road junction outside the rebuilding works at Totley station. And then over Baslow Edge with glorious views to indulge myself at the Chatsworth Farm Shop. Haven’t done that for years. Still have that £10 voucher which is redeemable with online purchases. 

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Returning to Adrock's question about combining a body from the first release of Moguls (63xx) with the chassis and gearing from the most recent releases (43xx), has anyone actually tried a straight body swap? If so, are there any issues?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.

• 2 weeks later...