class 68 DRS or Class 57 GWR

• RMweb Gold

hi all, i'm looking to complete my night riviera in fgw/gwr livery. i model the southern/ south west region into two distinct time frames. the vast majority of my stock is late 1930's to late 1940's and recent fgw/gwr. i have a  fgw dynamic lines hst set with a couple of night riviera coaches. i also have a single gwr buffet car and on order the Hornby class 800 in gwr livery,

now my question is what can i use to pull the night riviera,

Bachmann class 57 in gwr

Bachmann class 57 fgw (although really rare and costs a fortune so scrap this one)

Bachmann class 57 network rail, but this then falls out side of the gwr stuff i want to run as it stopped this service in 2014 i think.

Bachmann class 57 drs

class 68 DRS, now i love this loco and although gwr mentions maybe using the class 68 for the night riviera i can't find any pics so assume this never happened.

thoughts please...

68's since their introduction have never appeared on the Night Riviera by First Great Western/ GWR. However, in recent years there have been Back to Back power cars hauling it, Network Rail, and DRS 57/3's, but the usual traction booked for these is GWR's own 57/6's which have a poor reliability rate IMO. If youre modelling the night riviiera in an earlier period Cotswold Rail have loaned their 47s when they had them back in 2007, moving back to more recently, I think a Colas 47 has featured part way as well? 

HTH

NL

68's since their introduction have never appeared on the Night Riviera by First Great Western/ GWR. However, in recent years there have been Back to Back power cars hauling it, Network Rail, and DRS 57/3's, but the usual traction booked for these is GWR's own 57/6's which have a poor reliability rate IMO. If youre modelling the night riviiera in an earlier period Cotswold Rail have loaned their 47s when they had them back in 2007, moving back to more recently, I think a Colas 47 has featured part way as well? 

HTH

NL

Please list all the failure attributed to the locos in the last 12 months please.

Signed a GWR driver.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Gold

Please list all the failure attributed to the locos in the last 12 months please.

Signed a GWR driver.

Last I can recall was a year ago, so not that bad. Hasn’t 57310 been more of a naughty girl?

That said, whilst not failing, hasn’t reliability been quoted as the reason for the DRS hire-in?

Roy

• RMweb Gold

i'm leaning towards the latest gwr livery as this is my era for newer stock. the older green fgw are reasonably priced (which is always a good start) but then would not be suitable when my class 800 arrives, where as at a  stretch i could use my fgw dynamic lines coaches, having not yet been refurbished with a gwr class 57.

i love the network rail 57 but again, i don't think its suitable for when my 800 arrives.

decisions, decisions....

• RMweb Premium

Last I can recall was a year ago, so not that bad. Hasn’t 57310 been more of a naughty girl?

That said, whilst not failing, hasn’t reliability been quoted as the reason for the DRS hire-in?

Roy

Wasn't the DRS hire-in to cover extended exams of the GW 57/6 fleet?

Cheers,

Mick

The Night Riviera has failed 4 time this year and totalled 4 for 2016. Both directions. See The Railways of Cornwall section under Special Intrests on this forum for  annual statistics posts !!

Apart from the SLEP ex Lima, everything has to be modified from r-t-r stock as none have the correct window arrangement.

• RMweb Gold

The Night Riviera has failed 4 time this year and totalled 4 for 2016. Both directions. See The Railways of Cornwall section under Special Intrests on this forum for annual statistics posts !!

Apart from the SLEP ex Lima, everything has to be modified from r-t-r stock as none have the correct window arrangement.

And as per my post, I think 57310 has been responsible for more than its fair share of those.

Roy

And as per my post, I think 57310 has been responsible for more than its fair share of those.

Roy

As a GWR employee at Long Rock whose team deals solely with the Night Riviera, I can say this year its one each for 602,3,4 and 5 along with another partial for 2. Perhaps because unless its a last resort, DRS hire-ins are restricted to emu/ecs workings ?!

Expect Hornby to do the new livery for the SLEP in 2018.... .

• RMweb Gold

As a GWR employee at Long Rock whose team deals solely with the Night Riviera, I can say this year its one each for 602,3,4 and 5 along with another partial for 2. Perhaps because unless its a last resort, DRS hire-ins are restricted to emu/ecs workings ?!

Expect Hornby to do the new livery for the SLEP in 2018.... .

Thanks Paul - interesting as that is at odds to what a driver was telling me recently.

How is the new depot coming along? I know structurally a lot has happened, but I assume changes are afoot inside as well?

I am looking forward to when it is complete.

Best regards,

​Roy

P.S. Anybody stuck a new 4 and a 1 on 08410 yet? Been like it so long I keep considering whether I have to take them off my Kernow limited edition!

Edited by Roy Langridge

First loco should have gone in Tuesday but I'm off this week. As of last Friday, it was just the electrics for the depot protection left. Trackbed being prepared for new Walters and Shunt spur along with new trainxare outbuilding.

410s digits went missing at Derby after its return for warrenty repairs following its overhaul there. Still missing !

Signed a GWR driver.

well very recently 57602 was rescued by 604 and the set was moved to Old oak during the day time, and as previously mentioned its not been so bad recently, but it does seem that there is usually a DRS 57 on standby for GWR and I cant list every instance over the past 12 months however

NL

DRS have the rescue contract and yes, the latest was last weekend but included in my statistics. Are we going OT here ?!

Will say the current coach refurb is designed to last 10 years max so by then the mk3 and 57 will be somewhat dated. "Mk5" is on the cards. Traction will depend upon electrification progress..... .

I'm in a position to know and knew of the current refurb plans some 4 years before the public as regulars of the Railways of Cornwall section will know

Can't say any more or I will have to kill you !

Certainly, anyone modeling the modern Riviera as is today, will not have to remodel for around 5 years.

Edited by Co-tr-Paul
  • Like 1