Chivers Finelines Etched Brass: Birdcage Continental Utility Van

finelines

• RMweb Premium

My lads are reeling from the shock of what they are finding in Chivers Finelines, but there is the best kept secret even they don’t know about, the last three unissued kits in etched brass. Two of them would only be of interest to a limited audience but one I think would have a wider following: the Birdcage Continental Utility Van.

Are there enough people to make it worth finishing off?

Roger

Hi Roger,

I take it that these vans ran in France? If so (& it's a long shot!) i just wondered if there would be any scope in doing a H0 version also - for the French market as well as the (very small!) British H0 market?!?

I'd have one in H0!

Cheers,

John E.

Hi Roger,

I take it that these vans ran in France? If so (& it's a long shot!) i just wondered if there would be any scope in doing a H0 version also - for the French market as well as the (very small!) British H0 market?!?

I'd have one in H0!

Cheers,

John E.

They ran in France, though only on the 'Night Ferry' as far as Gare du Nord, I believe. There were a similar number of SNCF four-wheeled fourgon which worked the opposing workings.

After they ceased to be used on the Night Ferry (only the SNCF vans were used in its last years), they went into the general pool of ex-SR vans, and wandered far and wide. I saw S3S, resplendent in Rail Blue and somewhat cleaner than the photo, at Swansea High Street in 1971 or 1972.

I could be tempted by one of these- shame it's not plastic.....

Please forgive me for hijacking this thread slightly, but I brought this old Chivers kit secondhand in the late 80's, firstly in answer to the comment 'pity its not in plastic' I put this together 20+ years ago when I had very little skills in soldering, but the main bits soldered up easily and the detail parts were superglued (I would solder these now).

post-1131-12704600884_thumb.jpg

As can be seen the paint finish is a bit thin in the picture but not in the flesh (from memory I used clear etched primer and a Precision spray can)before I give it another coat (I have an air brush now) are the door handles etc painted or brass please as they will need fitting either pre or post painting (thanks for the photo link). And is there a better roof available, as I can never get these vac formed roofs right.

Back to the thread I would be interested in buying other variants as I realy enjoyed building this van, are they available or will they be?

I believe 'Dibber' may be able to assist with some background information on these vehicles... He wrote some articles in Model Rail a while back on the Night Ferry and the 'van' in question in particular.

Model Rail released the etched kit of the SNCF vans I believe when they were doing those articles.

I saw S3S, resplendent in Rail Blue and somewhat cleaner than the photo, at Swansea High Street in 1971 or 1972.

How am I meant to resist one when you say things like that Brian?

Roger - I'm in for one if you decide to push on with the kit.

Pix

My lads are reeling from the shock of what they are finding in Chivers Finelines, but there is the best kept secret even they don’t know about, the last three unissued kits in etched brass. Two of them would only be of interest to a limited audience but one I think would have a wider following: the Birdcage Continental Utility Van.

Are there enough people to make it worth finishing off?

Roger

I'd love one but alas probably about half the size you have in mind..

Alan

• 10 months later...

Model Rail released the etched kit of the SNCF vans I believe when they were doing those articles.

Indeed, we did. The kit we sold was made by Mike Radford (MARC Models)who can, I'm sure, still supply them, so I'm inclined to think that producing another etched kit would be a waste of effort. We don't have any left at Model Rail, however.

Mike also did the two SNCF Fourgons (with and without guard's compartment. All these models were to 4mm:1ft scale to run with the Night Ferry sleeping cars which Mike also produced for us.

The great thing about the Southern birdcage vans was that they ran in Wagons-Lits dark blue, to match the Night Ferry sleeping cars. (The SNCF vehicles were in that railway's dark green).

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived