Bachmann announcements 2018 - full list

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

There’s a lot more historically significant British built steam around the world that’s more at risk than these.

Just because they fit British loading gauge, and look like something British isn’t justification for bringing them back., if they returned all that would happen is painting it like a British one, the Aus livery is hardly inspiring and it would be a sore thumb here.

You could be right, but have a look at those old RODs. Simple to operate, simple to run. If they were fair game, I'd expect the GCR would mount a serious proposal.

I seem to recall the last meeting finished with a shotgun being called.

Ian.

There’s a lot more historically significant British built steam around the world that’s more at risk than these.

Just because they fit British loading gauge, and look like something British isn’t justification for bringing them back., if they returned all that would happen is painting it like a British one, the Aus livery is hardly inspiring and it would be a sore thumb here.

They don't just look British, they are genuine British locomotives that worked here. Sold to an Australian mining company in the 1920s. I think one of them was owned by the Lancashire And Yorkshire Railway. The other two were built by the Great Central Railway at Gorton.

The Major worked on the Mersey Railway between Liverpool and Birkenhead until it was electrified.

Totally pointless bringing them back though. They'll probably never turn a wheel again. Nearly fifty years rotting in the desert has put paid to that.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

They don't just look British, they are genuine British locomotives that worked here. Sold to an Australian mining company in the 1920s. I think one of them was owned by the Lancashire And Yorkshire Railway. The other two were built by the Great Central Railway at Gorton.

The Major worked on the Mersey Railway between Liverpool and Birkenhead until it was electrified.

Totally pointless bringing them back though. They'll probably never turn a wheel again. Nearly fifty years rotting in the desert has put paid to that.

Jason

I dunno, they pull them out of the sea down and restore them down there.

Tough place.

The deserts probably saved them, they look better than stuff here thats rotted for 50 years in our damp climate.

however I'd imagine 50 years working in a coal mine probably didn't do much for them, especially as they were cheap war time cast offs when they went down under, most of ours were done by the end of the 2nd world war, the Australian ones went on another 23 years until 1973 outlasting anything in the UK by 5 years.

I read somewhere there was some 04's found in the desert in Libya at one point, and theres the 8F in Iraq still, but being realistic, the UK patriated two Turkish 8Fs in a long drawn out event, that ultimately saw one of them slipping through the hands of the NRM (who arguably should have an 8F more than anyone else) and was re-exported to Israel, who have restored it quite well.

Maybe Bachmann could do an Australian railways version of one.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

That's a long list...Looks like a very healthy announcement. I do hope Bachmann can deliver and I hope their long lead times don't plague this lot.

- Excellent to see the V2 get a full re-tool, something much requested IIRC

- The range of DMUs is excellent. Never expected that mant DMUs to be done in one go. But it's a classic example of doing something wisely.

- Are the Bullied coaches brand new tooling or just more types added?

I was struggling to find anything, as was interested too. Found it on Hattons

Whiskies galore: Green Class 20 with 3 bulk grain wagons. DCC sound.

Station pilot: LNWR Coal tank with three mk1s.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/337559/Bachmann_Branchline_30_180_The_Station_Pilot_train_set_with_LNWR_Coal_Tank_and_three_Mk1_coaches/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.hattons.co.uk/337558/Bachmann_Branchline_30_047_Whiskies_Galore_train_set_with_Class_20_in_BR_green_and_three_bulk_grain_wagons/StockDetail.aspx

I find it really disappointing that Bachmann are still planning on making HOish scale Trix wagons and passing them off as 00, the molds must be over half a century old now and the Trix/Liliput PAV (Whisky Blue) was always obviously underscale. Are these wagons the oldest 00/H0 (a term that shouldn't exist in the 21st century!) still in production?

On the positive for Bachmann, I might eventually buy a re-tooled 25/2 or /3. As a 1970s - 80s Scottish modeller there hasn't been much of interest in this years Bachmann announcement.

I find it really disappointing that Bachmann are still planning on making HOish scale Trix wagons and passing them off as 00, the molds must be over half a century old now and the Trix/Liliput PAV (Whisky Blue) was always obviously underscale. Are these wagons the oldest 00/H0 (a term that shouldn't exist in the 21st century!) still in production?

On the positive for Bachmann, I might eventually buy a re-tooled 25/2 or /3. As a 1970s - 80s Scottish modeller there hasn't been much of interest in this years Bachmann announcement.

The credit for oldest OO item still in (sometime) production would be the Triang Utility Van, which dates from the mid to late 1950s. Its most recent appearance was in the Winston Churchill funeral train pack from Hornby.

The credit for oldest OO item still in (sometime) production would be the Triang Utility Van, which dates from the mid to late 1950s. Its most recent appearance was in the Winston Churchill funeral train pack from Hornby.

The Trix/Lilliput/Bachmann 'Whisky Blue' isn't 00, it's Trix 3.8mm(ish). Which is why I used the 00/H0 term!

The Trix/Lilliput/Bachmann 'Whisky Blue' isn't 00, it's Trix 3.8mm(ish). Which is why I used the 00/H0 term!

I realised that, but since the utility van was OO (although not entirely an accurate model), I used the OO term only.

• Like 1

47359 has an incorrect roof and doesn't have boiler tanks so not that simple

Boiler tanks are available as spares and just clip in

Boiler blanking plate could modded with available etchings.

Depends what level of accuracy the OP wants I guess as thankfully everyone’s modelling tastes and skills are different.

I was thinking that, just looking at its roof, I was thinking 47599 ? Is that an option ?

47599 in Metals spent a summer around Manchester on Birmingham, Crewe, Preston (for Glasgow or Blackpool) mcr- Blackpool area passenger workings, and the parcels from Bolton... saw too much of it.

Roof is incorrect for 599 too, also the logos are wrong and you’d need to source ETH jumpers too

Again depends whether people are happy with a representation of a favourite loco or a 100% accurate copy.... that’s what’s good about our hobby, everyone has differing levels, so long as you are happy with that level who cares what others think

• RMweb Gold

Roof is incorrect for 599 too, also the logos are wrong and you’d need to source ETH jumpers too

Again depends whether people are happy with a representation of a favourite loco or a 100% accurate copy.... that’s what’s good about our hobby, everyone has differing levels, so long as you are happy with that level who cares what others think

logos wrong ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/widnes_road/11483646255/in/gallery-50619197@N07-72157649741936966/

Etc jumper is hardly a challenge, what’s with the roof ?

Edited by adb968008

Like this one in Dorringo   :O

Poor old girl... at least they capped the chimney to prevent rust from within.

I've said it about the Bachmann version before but if the world has too many real GCR 8k locomotives then there's a 'Jersey Lily' fighting to get out amongst those components, Churchward was perhaps the best but not the only advocate of standardisation.

Boiler tanks are available as spares and just clip in

Boiler blanking plate could modded with available etchings.

Depends what level of accuracy the OP wants I guess as thankfully everyone’s modelling tastes and skills are different.

The boiler tanks do just clip in but the issue is that the cab/tail light switches will then not line up. The switches need unscrewing, turning 180 degrees ( if I remember rightly) and placing on the alternative and slightly higher side. Then the wires are not long enough so they need rerouting through the chassis which is a real pain. 

The Talyllyn slate wagons are an interesting addition - they appear to be reliveried from the Thomas range, which I thought Bachmann wasn't allowed to do. I wonder if this means that in future we can hope for a Talyllyn, Dolgoch or Midlander?

The Hunslets are definitely on my list. A small, Victorian narrow gauge industrial engine is exactly what I've been hoping for, and the Hunslets are among my favourites. Good on Bachmann for really going for it with their narrow gauge range.

• Like 1

An alternative to 47599 is 47594, I have 3 47359 models that I have renumbered, 47594, 47063 in construction and 47279 rfd. 47594 has had an etched boiler port fitted but possibly needs a little more weathering on the roof. post-6038-0-35983500-1515511766_thumb.jpgpost-6038-0-84967800-1515511784_thumb.jpgpost-6038-0-72583000-1515511830_thumb.jpgpost-6038-0-12287800-1515511845_thumb.jpgpost-6038-0-86493400-1515511860_thumb.jpg

...I've said it about the Bachmann version before but if the world has too many real GCR 8k locomotives then there's a 'Jersey Lily' fighting to get out amongst those components...

Never spotted that. So If I took the entire cab, boiler and smokebox off a ROD which will receive an old B1 cab, boiler and smokebox to make an O4/8 (a plan of longstanding queued behind other projects); then if a cut down Gresley pacific chassis can be inserted into the Robinson body, we're more than halfway to a 'Franken Lily'...

Never spotted that. So If I took the entire cab, boiler and smokebox off a ROD which will receive an old B1 cab, boiler and smokebox to make an O4/8 (a plan of longstanding queued behind other projects); then if a cut down Gresley pacific chassis can be inserted into the Robinson body, we're more than halfway to a 'Franken Lily'...

The Jersey Lily, often regarded as Robinson's finest looking locomotive, is deserving of at least a place on on the Rmweb wishlist survey. Hopefully there will be an RTR version some time in the future.

Retford_%28GN%29_Locomotive_Depot_with_E

Edited by andrewwaite1
  • Like 3

There is sufficient demand for Bachmann to release the D11/1 in the intricate regrouping GCR livery as Butler Henderson, Mons and now Zeebrugge, so why no new Wainwright 'C' in the full-fat Wainwright SECR livery?

Especially with the current interest in birdcage coaches, Hornby's Wainwright 'H', Hatton's Wainwright 'P' and all things SECR.

Edited by andrewwaite1

Just been sent the price list by the Bachmann rep at CPPR.

I wonder if there is a new philosophy as all the recent past locos are still on the list - for example class 66 EWS , now before these were deleted fast when they weren’t current anymore. The EWS and mainline became “ discontinued “ and went off the website long before they all got sold

Are they going to continue to produce these as stock items as they haven’t announced any new ones ? Or will they just be on the list till they sell out from barwell ?

• RMweb Gold

Interesting video, there’s a whole lot to the range beyond railways there.

I see Dennis Lovett announces his retirement in the video, he mentioned this at Warley but I guess it’s formal now, another great name retires.

In the last seconds of the video I see a short named (Crepello, Ballymoss, Nimbus, Alycidon, Tulyar, Meld or Pinza ) Finsbury Park Deltic with white ends in the cabinet, but don’t seem to see one matching that description in this years, or last few years ranges, have I missed a one made recently, the short names in FP white cabs were quite some time ago ?