Bachmann announcements 2018 - full list

Andy Y

Maybe the idea of the Pullman with a controller is to try and encourage new entrants ? Now I know that sounds funny for £900 trainset but I was thinking of the scenario of recently retired and well heeled folk , with a decent level of disposable income....possibly living in Surrey ...same cost as 3/4 year golf club membership. Maybe , this is the logic applied ?

The chiltern 168/3 has intrigued me. I really need a two car DMU of that home counties usage for the next plank. Not familiar with this prototype .

I don’t think it’s all that flexible (C1 mechanism, prospects for fitting in a C2). I think I recall this being mentioned before and it was explained that the mechanism had not been designed to fit inside the body of a small-boilered Atlantic. If it is done, it would have to be completely retooled. I hope it will be done but it won¹t be as straightforward as it appears.

Yes, but. The difficult aspect of the mechanism design is done and proven successful (packing in that unbelievably tight coupled wheelbase by using wheels at maximum permitted wear) and as I understand it present model tooling practise is to create an entirely new tooling suite for each model. The mechanism does need to be redesigned to the extent of lowering the motor mounting to fit inside the lower pitched and smaller diameter boiler, but that's not a huge task. However Bach. have told us in the past that the concealed mechanism isn't the most expensive part, it is the external tooling that costs. Insofar as they have the patterns for the visible loco running gear and tender ready to use in CAD, the major design job is the loco body (comparable to what Hornby did making the Clan on the basis of what was already available from the Britannia). My feeling, the C2 will get its day in the sun only if the C1 sells very strongly; critically for interest they didn't get even close to BR period service. 

post-31247-0-69721900-1515487848_thumb.jpg

2018 RANGE COMPETITION

WIN £500.00 WORTH OF RAILS VOUCHERS.
To enter simply purchase one of the new 2018 catalogues and pre-order at least one item from any of the new ranges by 28/02/18. (Winner announced 01/03/18)

Edited by Oliver Rails
  • Like 1

GRRRR

No available this year of headcode split of class 37 Railfreight livery

No available this year of class 47/0 - 47006 or 47210 construction livery

No available this year of OBA Dutch of civil engineer livery

37068 still available to buy

47006 is a simple enough rebadging job from 47359

2018 RANGE COMPETITION

WIN £500.00 WORTH OF RAILS VOUCHERS.

To enter simply purchase one of the new 2018 catalogues and pre-order at least one item from any of the new ranges by 28/02/18. (Winner announced 01/03/18)

View the full ranges and order the catalogues here:

Hmm, how do I enter without getting a catalogue. Sorry call me modern, but I have no need to waste a tree on a book that I can easily view online at the Bachmann and Hornby websites. 

Dapol have the ideal solution to those who like a catalogue, a PDF online. But I do feel one of the best decisions by the previous Hornby management was to axe the catalogue. The images in these things are often out of date well before the models are released. Where as they are continuously updated on the relevant Bachmann and Hornby websites. 

Also, why do you not offer free postage over a certain price. Sorry but the probability of winning the £500 is so small, I rather stick to a retailer who offers free postage and gives a sustainable gift in the form of loyalty credit all my 2018 Bachmann orders. 

Edited by 159220

Hmm, how do I enter without getting a catalogue. Sorry call me modern, but I have no need to waste a tree on a book that I can easily view online at the Bachmann and Hornby websites. 

Dapol have the ideal solution to those who like a catalogue, a PDF online. But I do feel one of the best decisions by the previous Hornby management was to axe the catalogue. The images in these things are often out of date well before the models are released. Where as they are continuously updated on the relevant Bachmann and Hornby websites. 

Also, why do you not offer free postage over a certain price. Sorry but the probability of winning the £500 is so small, I rather stick to a retailer who offers free postage and gives a sustainable gift in the form of loyalty credit all my 2018 Bachmann orders. 

Bit of a Moaning Minnie today aren't we?

Jason

For me the most interesting thing is that semi-hidden in the announcement of the retooled 25 is an indication that the 24/1 is going ahead.  Many were expecting this to be dropped bearing in mind developments elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium

I read that it was supposed to be today. 

Just checked and I still have the old site too.

You may have to clear your cookies to force your computer to look for the new site.

EDIT: I have just checked at home on my computer and both before and after clearing cookies I still get the old site so looks as though the new site will be along soon.

Edited by Chris116

Nice to see that Australia has finally discovered paint.....

Now please conserve the rest of "your" heritage before we take them back due to negligence. ;)

Jason

Like this one in Dorringo   :O

post-17668-0-19393100-1515429592_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

47359 has an incorrect roof and doesn't have boiler tanks so not that simple

I was thinking that, just looking at its roof, I was thinking 47599 ? Is that an option ?

47599 in Metals spent a summer around Manchester on Birmingham, Crewe, Preston (for Glasgow or Blackpool) mcr- Blackpool area passenger workings, and the parcels from Bolton... saw too much of it.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Are you getting the new site then??

Isn't working on incognito and that doesn't store cookies :/

Unless my ISP has a cache I don't think there is anything my side which is wrong...

I was only on my phone when I wrote that comment and now having got home to check things out and I am getting the old site. I cleared my cookies and still get the old site so looks like they are behind with the new one.

Yes, absolutely, you’re completely right.

I’d like to suggest no-one enters. It’s obviously a huge scam and the chances of winning are far too small. So can I discourage everyone from entering this, as a protest.

I promise not to enter either. Oh, yes. Promise.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Like this one in Dorringo   :O

There will be some significant hoop jumping, if you think you can come in 'and whisk it away'.

Australia has very strict rules about letting stuff go, once it goes past a certain age. I have an idea it's about 10+ years, but look it up. Pendennis Castle nearly came a cropper when it was repatriated.

Canberra put a stop to it because white people were 'looting' aboriginal artefacts.

Ian.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you very much for the reply and for letting me know. I really appreciate it. 

I didn't think of that. 

Sadly when I tried on my home computer I still get the old site. 

It is a trick that I have used before but if the new site is not up and running then it does not work!

There will be some significant hoop jumping, if you think you can come in 'and whisk it away'.

Australia has very strict rules about letting stuff go, once it goes past a certain age. I have an idea it's about 10+ years, but look it up. Pendennis Castle nearly came a cropper when it was repatriated.

Canberra put a stop to it because white people were 'looting' aboriginal artefacts.

Ian.

They were fair game a few years ago. Someone tried to buy them (it was reported in the press that they had been purchased). But I believe it was the transportation costs that was the stumbling block.

Don't forget they've been dumped for well over forty years.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Ian.

There’s a lot more historically significant British built steam around the world that’s more at risk than these.

Just because they fit British loading gauge, and look like something British isn’t justification for bringing them back., if they returned all that would happen is painting it like a British one, the Aus livery is hardly inspiring and it would be a sore thumb here.

• Like 2