LNER 'Toad B' and 'Toad E' 20T Brake Van announced

Garethp8873

Bit of joined up thinking, surely - J36 and Toad B with wooden duckets, which IIRC were mainly deployed in the Scottish area.

Like what Hornby did the SR Cattle wagons, they tackled this wagon by giving us wooden/steel ducket examples. Well done Hornby!!

Bit of joined up thinking, surely - J36 and Toad B with wooden duckets, which IIRC were mainly deployed in the Scottish area.

Plenty in East Anglia too Jonathan. There are several photographs taken from the hill above Ipswich tunnel that show a siding alongside the up main between the running lines and the locomotive depot that held a line of brake vans. If you look closely there are Toad Bs with wooden duckets and veranda end supports, with steel duckets and wooden end supports and possibly even wooden duckets with steel tee end supports; after that those with steel duckets and steel tee end supports could be either Toad Bs or, more likely, Toad Es. And that's before the variations in planking width, those Toad Bs with broad planks were typically built at Faverdale and those with narrow planks at Doncaster.

Oh, and end views would be nice, to see the number and position of lamp irons that would help identify the period being represented.

Edited by Pint of Adnams
  • Like 2

Plenty in East Anglia too Jonathan. There are several photographs taken from the hill above Ipswich tunnel that show a siding alongside the up main between the running lines and the locomotive depot that held a line of brake vans. If you look closely there are Toad Bs with wooden duckets and veranda end supports, with steel duckets and wooden end supports and possibly even wooden duckets with steel tee end supports; after that those with steel duckets and steel tee end supports could be either Toad Bs or, more likely, Toad Es. And that's before the variations in planking width, those Toad Bs with broad planks were typically built at Faverdale and those with narrow planks at Doncaster.

Oh, and end views would be nice, to see the number and position of lamp irons that would help identify the period being represented.

Glad you mentioned East Anglia, I was going to ask this. Presume this applies early BR days? 

• RMweb Premium

Glad you mentioned East Anglia, I was going to ask this. Presume this applies early BR days? 

Up to the early 1960s in traffic use; later than that in departmental service.

Why were these called "Toads"? I thought it was restricted to the GWR ones only.

On the LNER, in summary:

Toad A - continuation of the build of Brake Vans based on the NER V4 type

Toad B - revised design of the above, originally with wooden duckets and veranda end supports

Toad C - the one-off cast concrete bodied version of the Toad B

Toad D - the extended wheelbase type with end platforms designed originally for express workings and with steel duckets

Toad E - the updated version of the Toad B with steel duckets and tee end supports

The Toad D was the basis for the BR Standard Brake Van.

Edited by Pint of Adnams
  • Like 2

There was also variations in buffers and end stantions between different build batches and locations. Hopefully these variations are/will be included in the tooling. Most should be simple enough with various interchangeable parts, but there are a few that I suspect will cause a few headaches if indeed they are attempted.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this progress, and I might see if I can get my second Parkside one done before this emerges. You can never have too many brake vans!

Cheers

J

There was also variations in buffers and end stantions between different build batches and locations. Hopefully these variations are/will be included in the tooling. Most should be simple enough with various interchangeable parts, but there are a few that I suspect will cause a few headaches if indeed they are attempted.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this progress, and I might see if I can get my second Parkside one done before this emerges. You can never have too many brake vans!

Cheers

J

Looking at the drawings, they have included the different end stanchions and buffers along with the wooden/steel duckets. Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This could turn out to be an interesting thread. When the models appear on the market no doubt modelers will want to carry out surgery in order to personalize their models by creating detail variations.

Hopefully some old un-built Parkside toad B's will be offered for sale too which are great for kit bashing into representations of Toad A's and Hull and Barnsley brake vans.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's alright, I've already got half a dozen Parkside kits. :)

Jason

I've got one of their old Toad B kits nearly completed, just awaiting handrails and transfers................

It took a lot of finding and much effort to get it together square - I get why they discontinued it. :jester:

John

• RMweb Premium

Toad C, why do i imagine a WW2 pillbox on wheels?

Any photos of such?

There is a picture of it on page 320 of LNER wagons vol. 4B.

Basically it looks just like a toad B without the planking. It's numbered 158355 and appears to have white painted verandas and surprisingly it has spoked wheels. It's insignia were cast into the concrete. So maybe not easy to model!  Edit2: 3D print anyone?

Edit: Found it http://www.freerails.com/view_topic.php?id=6817&forum_id=43

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch

Toad C, why do i imagine a WW2 pillbox on wheels?

Further to 'Sasquatch' post above, there's every possibility the body still largely exists unless it was deliberately demolished, as it would make a low maintenance lock up.

...I'd rather have a diesel brake tender

Three varieties available RTR, classes 15, 16, 17. Well that was one railwayman's opinion heard in the sixties, why the need to build such things when the duff designs were just as suitable to the purpose? The 16s were so dire they beat steam out of service...

Is there much difference between the Toad B's with the thick wooden end stanchions and the NER V4 brake vans, or are they basically continued production into the LNER era?

Major differences, in that the V4 was a shorter wheelbase 10T vehicle: it is what ye ancient Triang double verandah brake van was clearly based on.

The LNER's Toad B was clearly derived in general features from the V4, and by that means the V4's 'design DNA' moved on to the 'D' and thus to BR's standard brake van.

• Like 1