Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Actually I have a couple of the old Baccy Nelsons and so could try one of those tenders behind one of my Schools...................................... :locomotive:  :stinker:  :nono:

Ideally just the body, mounted on a bogie tender chassis from a Hornby King Arthur, with the tender pickups and compatibility to make the whole project much simpler.

However, I'm still looking for a cheap non-runner to provide the necessary, myself....

John

• RMweb Gold

Ideally just the body, mounted on a bogie tender chassis from a Hornby King Arthur, with the tender pickups and compatibility to make the whole project much simpler.

However, I'm still looking for a cheap non-runner to provide the necessary, myself....

John

As the budget option, I'd agree - I personally will wait for a Hornby High-sided LN tender to appear on a certain auction site, before attempting the Schools/LN Hybrid myself (unless Hornby announce it first) ;)

Besides ANTB Members are keeping very busy with GW work atm. 

It looks like 'Sir Francis Drake' arrived today at Hornby, out of stock directly also

I hope there are enough of them in the country to satisfy pre-orders!

It makes me wonder if I should pre-order a Princess Coronation 6221 'Queen Elizabeth', described as 'due December' by Hornby but Jan 2019 by most retailers.

I hope there are enough of them in the country to satisfy pre-orders!

It makes me wonder if I should pre-order a Princess Coronation 6221 'Queen Elizabeth', described as 'due December' by Hornby but Jan 2019 by most retailers.

It seems 6221 also arrived , not on new arrivals or else  but only under loco class to find, not sold out still in stock you can order from Horny.

Hornby is also  expecting for this month a lot of Maunsell coaches in coming soon, i am only wondering if all will be in stock in shops this year on time.

Edited by Cor-onGRT4

R3623 or Princess Coronation 6221 may well be in the country and imminently available, as is R3634 'Sir Francis Drake' SR 851... the latter described as 'only one left'.

I am a tiny bit sceptical about the 'only one left', I have to say,  but look forward in particular to the Lord Nelson, having pre-ordered from a retailer.

There is a review of Hornby's Lord Nelson and an article about the prototype in the January 2019 Hornby Magazine. There is also an opportunity to win one with a rake of Maunsell coaches in a simple quiz. I was interested to see that the Lord Nelson was the most powerful locomotive in Britain when it was built and that the Merchant Navy class was designed to replace the Lord Nelsons.

In Southern Style by John Harvey there are some pictures of Lord Nelsons in malachite green but with British Railways lettering and in British Railways experimental apple green livery and these would be interesting variations for Hornby to model.

It looks like an excellent model which was able to haul 10 coaches. I might buy one in Hattons' next Sale of the Century in November 2019.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There is a review of Hornby's Lord Nelson and an article about the prototype in the January 2019 Hornby Magazine. There is also an opportunity to win one with a rake of Maunsell coaches in a simple quiz. I was interested to see that the Lord Nelson was the most powerful locomotive in Britain when it was built and that the Merchant Navy class was designed to replace the Lord Nelsons.

They might have been powerful - but only in the hands of a skilled crew. For all the good PR the Southern put out about them, it remains a fact that they were somewhat difficult machines to handle according to the crews who had to work them* and it was only after Bulleid made various modifications did they actually reach full potential - though this was short lived as the new mans Pacifics started to come on stream.

* Compare the Nelsons to the schools class - which did everything and more asked of them from the word go, or even Maunsells tweaked King Arthurs.....

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

I love the Lord Nelson class. But they did not seem to fit in between the Bulleid Light Pacific’s and the N15’s dominateing everything. And the sidelining must’ve been compounded even more once the Bulleid rebuilding program started en masse and the 5MT’s started entering service a problem I’ve encountered while trying to figure out a timetable for my new layout and with 8 light Pacifics & 6 N15’s it’s beem hard finding a place for the Lord Nelson. But one will still find a home on my layout. But I do have to say that the new Hornby Lord Nelson looks fantastic and I can’t wait for the BR versions to arrive.

Big James

Edited by Big James
  • Like 1

I love the Lord Nelson class. But they did not seem to fit in between the Bulleid Light Pacific’s and the N15’s dominateing everything. And the sidelining must’ve been compounded even more once the Bulleid rebuilding program started en masse and the 5MT’s started entering service a problem I’ve encountered while trying to figure out a timetable for my new layout and with 8 light Pacifics & 6 N15’s it’s beem hard finding a place for the Lord Nelson. But one will still find a home on my layout. But I do have to say that the new Hornby Lord Nelson looks fantastic and I can’t wait for the BR versions to arrive.

Big James

I agree and can't wait for the BR versions.

There was ultimately very little wrong with the Nelsons apart from being tricky to fire with a 10ft-long grate. If they weren't 'front line' they were very close, and not much could compete with a Merchant Navy!

Here is a variation on Mike Wild's Hornby Magazine pic. I have edited the front wheel widths. Done in the style of the Boys Adventure Book of Trains. :)  I note with relief and great admiration that the correct cylinder drains are provided, extending back over the rear bogie wheel. Bravo!

post-7929-0-85759400-1544738856_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

The Merchant Navy class once rebuilt was in my opinion the best Pacific that BR possessed. And the Lord Nelson is one of the most handsome locomotives ever to run in the UK. Hornby have captured her perfectly and robmcg your pics make her look even more beautiful. And I’m hoping the BR version comes out in March as that’s when my birthday is.

Big James

I think we can confidently say that Hornby have reached a new level with the Lord Nelson models.

I am impressed by the slide bar and valve gear detail, as well as the general look of it,  from Mike Wild's Hornby Magazine photo, and my added bits primarily most of the tender , my C&L track, the front wheels, little else.

post-7929-0-01414300-1544745605_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They might have been powerful - but only in the hands of a skilled crew. For all the good PR the Southern put out about them, it remains a fact that they were somewhat difficult machines to handle according to the crews who had to work them* and it was only after Bulleid made various modifications did they actually reach full potential - though this was short lived as the new mans Pacifics started to come on stream.

* Compare the Nelsons to the schools class - which did everything and more asked of them from the word go, or even Maunsells tweaked King Arthurs.....

In some areas of the SR, the Schools were referred to as 'three-quarter Nelsons'. 

As an aside, somewhere a while ago there was a photo of a prototype model of a Lord Nelson to be produced by Triang/Triang-Hornby/Hornby (I'm not sure where they were at then!); it may have been in Pat Hammond's book and/or collection, but it took me along time to figure out why it looked so strange. Eventually, I realised it was the cab. They had used a Schools cab on it. Anyway, it never reached production and the model remained a one-off. It is nice to see this new and superb looking rendition from the current Hornby.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In some areas of the SR, the Schools were referred to as 'three-quarter Nelsons'. 

I've heard them called "Half Nelsons"

Be nice if my Nelson arrives for Christmas but that is now looking unlikely.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

Showing as back in stock and available to order on Hornby website.

What a curious thing.

The R3623 LMS Coronation blue 6221 'Queen Elizabeth' in now out of stock at Hornby, but retailers are still waiting for their ordered R3634 SR 851 'Sir Francis Drake'.

Mind you, I'm not expecting Hornby to deliver to every retailer on the same day.