Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

A look at some of the latest models and prototypes from Hornby Model Railways, filmed on their Roadshow Stand at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2018.

Models featured, included the all new Streamlined Princess Coronation Class 4-6-2, NBR J36 Class 0-6-0's and Lord Nelson Class 4-6-0's.

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No sign of tiny buffers on flush-sided bogie tenders in 'The Book of ............ '  -  though clear photos of tender behinds are always scarce, of course, and there could, perhaps, have been exceptions in the very early days.

There were a lot of tender swaps between the Lord Nelsons and the King Arthurs/S15's/Schools in the early days - I've found one example with the smaller type buffers so far..

• RMweb Gold

On a flush-sided tender as modelled by Hornby ?

No the photo's of the rear of the tenders are very hard to come by during the early days of the Lord Nelson's, the two photo's I found were of E858 & E860 with a Urie tender with the smaller type buffers.

After doing some light reading, some of the class received their tenders from S15's E833-E837, however some detective work is need to find the tender to match the loco - as no mention is given in the Record part of the Book of the Lord Nelsons (this is due the fact they got the tenders when they entered service). It took to other books to find out which and dates (those were Locomotives in Detail 8 Maunsell 4-6-0 Lord Nelson Class & The Book of the H15 & S15 4-6-0's)

Based on this information, E851 inherited her flat sided tender from E833 (S15) in May 1928.

So it is conceivable that the tender could of retained it smaller buffers when it entered service with E851 and the buffers were altered afterwards.

Ah, but did a Nelson ever get paired with a watercart tender, that is the question.

I'm assuming 'no' is the correct answer, yes?

Not that I have seen, As TBG said, some Nelsons used the tenders from S15's which where replaced by watercarts were their bearing problems would be less of an issue.

• RMweb Gold

Do I order 30850 or wait/hope for 850 in Malachite as preserved (but not an NRM glossy one!) to be announced for 2019???

Depends if 30850 is likely to arrive before January 7th, if not, and your real desire does get announced, you can always cancel.

John

• RMweb Premium

There were a lot of tender swaps between the Lord Nelsons and the King Arthurs/S15's/Schools in the early days - I've found one example with the smaller type buffers so far..

...........and as you probably know there was an interesting tender swap with a LN tender going to a Schools in the very last days. I'd like to try that out.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I suggested that to Hornby - before they announced the Lord Nelson (oops)...

Actually I have a couple of the old Baccy Nelsons and so could try one of those tenders behind one of my Schools...................................... :locomotive:  :stinker:  :nono: 

Your name vill go on zee list...

Unrepentant!  I have pre-ordered an SR 851 because, well,  I HAD TO.  

However, I am cautious about the new Princess Coronation, I will have to see one, and go from there. I am no fan of the white wheel hubs and small front wheels, but the white could perhaps be over-painted. The Lord Nelson models on the other hand look every bit as good as the 2007 N15s., which is a high bar.

edit;  which BR version has deflectors which would suit 851,  I wonder?

Edited by robmcg

Actually I have a couple of the old Baccy Nelsons and so could try one of those tenders behind one of my Schools.

...though plugging-in the electricicle thingy might be problematic !

Given the modifications to make the two couple up, surely that's a fairly minor consideration? And there is potential upside. Never seen a Bach LN, but if it has split axle wheelsets on the tender - and better yet if the tender bogie sides are castings mounted on a plastic  bolster - that makes for a simple path to 'no incremental drag pick up off the axle ends' to encourage making the loco to tender wiring arrangement.

(Having 'transplanted' into older body shells current drives from models with slug and pocket connections to a DCC decoder socket in tender, simply hacking a hole in the receiving tender's underside to poke the wiring through is an easy job. If the receiving tender is an all plastic interior, or just needs some electrical tape over the ballast weight to make it so, then the board with the DCC decoder socket on it can just be dumped inside. No need to make prettifying arrangements...)

• Like 1