Bachmann Class 25 retool announced 2018

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, JohnR said:

What would be interesting is a review comparing the Bachmann 25 side by side with the Heljan and SLW 25s. Which is best? Theres only one way to find out!

image.png.6a2d520c5f4320ad9738649e3afe723d.png

Already know under the hood which one is the winner, and the loser.

and 3rd place is definitely quite a lap behind  1st and 2nd.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I’ll be running all 3 in perfect harmony, so will post some pics when the SLW ones eventually turn up. I’ll most likely end up with 3 off each manufacturer as 25s, like 40s are essential for my modelling period.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi, 

It would be nice if there was a Model of a Class 25/0 which was built with slot machine controls, and maybe a new tooling Ethel.

Thanks Fred

If you want a 25/0 surely just renumber a headcode box 24/1 ?.

The only problem is trying to replicate an early 1970s blue 24/1 which kept all it's tinwork (valances and hatches). I need to respray one of my green ones so that I can put numbers on all four corners and arrows on the cab doors.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

In DC the Heljan 25 is better than the current Bachmann 24 (and possibly 25 assuming same mech) particularly at slow speeds. Not had an

opportunity to run an SLW in Dc.

• Agree 1

On 17/05/2024 at 15:48, Covkid said:

The only problem is trying to replicate an early 1970s blue 24/1 which kept all it's tinwork (valances and hatches). I need to respray one of my green ones so that I can put numbers on all four corners and arrows on the cab doors.

A headcode box 24/1 is the base to work from but underframe tanks need removing too to match the chosen subject, whether they should have dials, plus careful attention as to whether the end doors are sheeted, plus if you really want to get it right all the other bits that vary from loco to loco such as sandboxes, lamp irons, whether the chosen subject had a modified roofbox (quite a few did)...it's not a simple renumber!

• Like 1

On 17/05/2024 at 15:48, Covkid said:

In addition to points mentioned above, boiler exhaust needs removal. There's a good pic on the Derby Sulzers site in the Class 24/25 roof details section.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Just now, Fredo said:

Hi, have you seen Hornby Magazine and Model Rail’s review of the new Bachmann Class 25’s? Thanks Fred

I note from MR that delivery is imminent. Is this correct ? 
Are they perhaps going to grandstand its release at Sutton Coldfield next Saturday ?

Posted (edited)
On 19/05/2024 at 14:57, andyman7 said:

A headcode box 24/1 is the base to work from but underframe tanks need removing too to match the chosen subject, whether they should have dials, plus careful attention as to whether the end doors are sheeted, plus if you really want to get it right all the other bits that vary from loco to loco such as sandboxes, lamp irons, whether the chosen subject had a modified roofbox (quite a few did)...it's not a simple renumber!

It's rarely been a simple renumber on the 24s and 25s if desiring to model specific locos, and the greater the number of years since construction the worse it got.........the fun I had modelling 5180 and D7657 as running in 1971 based on Bachmann's 25034 and D7646, which I had to hand but then they only cost me £100 for the pair!

PS I wonder if any of the current Class 25 manufacturers will ever offer a blue full yellow early example with gangway doors, i.e. 1967 to early TOPS years?  😊

Edited by Halvarras
Added the PS
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

It's rarely been a simple renumber on the 24s and 25s if desiring to model specific locos, and the greater the number of years since construction the worse it got.........the fun I had modelling 5180 and D7657 as running in 1971 based on Bachmann's 25034 and D7646, which I had to hand but then they only cost me £100 for the pair!

PS I wonder if any of the current Class 25 manufacturers will ever offer a blue full yellow early example with gangway doors, i.e. 1967 to early TOPS years?  😊

It’s on SLWs current list…. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Halvarras said:

I would be in the market for Blue FYE , gangway doors and D numbers but it's not likely to happen with Bachmann sadly. 

They'll just turn out refurbed examples with TOPS numbers and domino headcodes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

It’s on SLWs current list…. 

D5195 and 5184 - by coincidence I've just noticed those in SLW's magazine ad! Both in early blue though (4 logos). As one would expect with SLW, the logos and numbers are in slightly different locations as D5195 was repainted by Derby who cleared the cabsides by moving the works plates to the cab doors, whereas Crewe left the plates where they were and then had to squeeze the logos in between them and the cab side window frames.

I photographed 5184 at St Pancras in nearly ex-works in late July 1970. Crewe outshopped a few Class 25s in early blue style around that time, including 7562 and 7609. 7609 was renumbered 25259 still in this style, 7562 was repainted into standard blue in 1973, and I think 5184 was one of those 'caught in the middle', entering Derby (probably) as 5184 and emerging as 25034 - a renumbering date of January 1974 would support this as the vast majority of TOPS renumbering didn't start at depots until well into the following month.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Halvarras said:

D5195 and 5184 - by coincidence I've just noticed those in SLW's magazine ad! Both in early blue though (4 logos). As one would expect with SLW, the logos and numbers are in slightly different locations as D5195 was repainted by Derby who cleared the cabsides by moving the works plates to the cab doors, whereas Crewe left the plates where they were and then had to squeeze the logos in between them and the cab side window frames.

I photographed 5184 at St Pancras in nearly ex-works in late July 1970. Crewe outshopped a few Class 25s in early blue style around that time, including 7562 and 7609. 7609 was renumbered 25259 still in this style, 7562 was repainted into standard blue in 1973, and I think 5184 was one of those 'caught in the middle', entering Derby (probably) as 5184 and emerging as 25034 - a renumbering date of January 1974 would support this as the vast majority of TOPS renumbering didn't start at depots until well into the following month.

SLW often advertise in RE to be fair.