Bachmann Class 25 retool announced 2018

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

They do look nice, though I have most variants covered with recent Heljan purchases and ones on order from SLW. I’ll go for 2 middle sound fitted blue 25/1 models and save a few bob by weathering them myself. They’ll need dominoes fitting as well.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Just watched the video . Excellent presentation . Thanks to Richard I think for the clearest explanation of 25/0 25/1 25/2 and 25/3 . Has always been a puzzler to me with different body styles in 25/2 . It’s also apparent that there’s much more than 6 releases . I think I counted 11 and confirmation 25057 will be available weathered and unweathered . 

I’m almost certainly going to get one . I run analogue and again Richard makes a big point of being able to run sound fitted locos on analogue . I’d really love to see an example of this . TMC did it with the Heljan 47 , it would be great to see how a sound fitted 25 performs on analogue . What is the effect on speed . If it’s still reasonable I’d really be tempted . One of my abiding memories is of a 25 sitting at the buffer stops platform 3 at Queen St . Behind her was a train to Dundee which as was common then , she was going to bank out and up Cowlairs incline . The roar as she throttled up was superb and I’d love to recapture this with a 25 . Yes I know I need DCC to get the whole effect, but that’s not going to happen with the many old locos I run . So I’d really be interested on what a sound loco runs on analogue .

But overall great job Bachmann . Lots of choice there . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Wayne 56089 said:

£40 cheaper than SLW I think will sway a few people. It does look good in the video. 

I suspect the impact on SLW will be less than on say Heljan as SLW sound and attention to detail still has the slight edge.  However having some of these tasty models next to SLW examples is likely to be less of a problem than previous examples so I suspect many Rat fans will find room for both.

Helps explain the glacially slow progress on the models since announcement as clearly at some point the decision was made to go for a full on range redesign, possibly spurred by the development of the SLW range.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

13 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Just a shame there's still no early series 25/0

The 25/0 needs to be derived from the related Class 24/1 tool set which they cosmetically resemble so I can understand the omission from the rest of the Class 25 family for now - hopefully it will come soon

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Interesting feature mentioned at 14.23 (spoiler alert: it would be unprototypical on a Class 73). 

But schoolboy humour aside, this was a very professional and well thought-out media release, and the locos - in my opinion - attain the prototype character very well indeed.  I saw (and heard) Bescot specimens daily during the seventies and the blue ones here are dead-ringers for those. 

I have a right rat roster that's been slimmed down in anticipation of these arriving, and foresee about ten making their way here to replace the earlier Bachmann effort. There's really no comparison now these beauties have broken cover. 

It only remains for me to establish if representatives of the variants I require are available:

D5233 (boiler-fitted late body style) ttGSYP - I think yes, renumberable;

D7602-08 ttGSYP - I think yes, renumberable;

D7591 (old body style) pGFYE - no;

D7677 (eBFYE) - renumberable.

Transition Era Diesels Key:

e early

p plain

tt two-tone

B blue

G Green

FYE full yellow end

SYP small yellow panel

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I must admit to thinking of getting a blue late body style one to go with all the others too. One advantage of Bachmann’s approach is the ability to buy one from stock somewhere as and when. I’m not fussed about the tinted windows of the deluxe, but having the speaker already installed in the DCC ready one is useful as an alternative to buying the middle sound version if I decide to stick one of Biff’s in later.

They just need to retool the 40 now.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

The 25/0 needs to be derived from the related Class 24/1 tool set which they cosmetically resemble so I can understand the omission from the rest of the Class 25 family for now - hopefully it will come soon

Yup , I'm aware of this , wouldn't be surprised if Mr Sutton gets the early 25/0 out first though

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wayne 56089 said:

£40 cheaper than SLW I think will sway a few people. It does look good in the video. 

Some locked in early, at £185+ p&p so maybe sitting pretty on the slw one.

But the argument for the 25/1 is compelling.

23 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I must admit to thinking of getting a blue late body style one to go with all the others too. One advantage of Bachmann’s approach is the ability to buy one from stock somewhere as and when. I’m not fussed about the tinted windows of the deluxe, but having the speaker already installed in the DCC ready one is useful as an alternative to buying the middle sound version if I decide to stick one of Biff’s in later.

I made a DCC sound loco purchase this week, I looked at the price of a DCC Ready (with speaker built in) and then added an after market zimo chip and sound file on top.  It was a lot cheaper to purchase the loco sound fitted with an ESU so I did that, I only want the chassis to go under another body I already have for this particular loco.

So when discounts come into the equation it can be cheaper to go with the sound option than to go to the after market.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Legend said:

Might be tempted by this . I still run my old Hornby 25. But this looks interesting . I think SLW would be the one to get , but I’m fed up looking at that thread about people who have been waiting years . Seems like it’s a cottage industry compared to a mainstream release 

Hornbys 25/1 releases in painted green/ blue, in early 1990’s was a really nice model for its day.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I made a DCC sound loco purchase this week, I looked at the price of a DCC Ready (with speaker built in) and then added an after market zimo chip and sound file on top.  It was a lot cheaper to purchase the loco sound fitted with an ESU so I did that, I only want the chassis to go under another body I already have for this particular loco.

So when discounts come into the equation it can be cheaper to go with the sound option than to go to the after market.

The one advantage of adding sound is that the sound file is different, so it gives the loco a different character. Biffo sometimes does different files for a given class which is good too. Having said that, the Bachmann sound projects are very good and the latest 40 is especially driveable. Just could do with room for a bigger speaker without needing a milling machine!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Hornbys 25/1 releases in painted green/ blue, in early 1990’s was a really nice model for its day.

Hornby got the cab shape a lot better than the original Bachmann version which makes me squint! I’ve seen plenty of very realistic scenes marred by having the original Bachmann 25 as the centrepiece!

• Agree 3

I guess we have Accurascale to thank for these models from Bachmann.

If it wasn't for their uplift in quality then Bachmann would not have had the impetus to really look again at what they produce.

Same as when Dapol first started in N and Bachmann turned out the V2 expecting a lot of praise and got roasted because it was no different to the old Farish designs.  Luckily Bachmann have also picked up the challenge on N too with the Next 18 sound chassis they deliver with most models.

I know the competion here is SLW and Heljan for the 25, but SLW is still small volume in comparison and Heljan don't put as much inside the shell as Bachmann it feels.

Still a good time to be an OO modeller but not for me I am happy in N.

17 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I guess we have Accurascale to thank for these models from Bachmann.

If it wasn't for their uplift in quality then Bachmann would not have had the impetus to really look again at what they produce.

Same as when Dapol first started in N and Bachmann turned out the V2 expecting a lot of praise and got roasted because it was no different to the old Farish designs.  Luckily Bachmann have also picked up the challenge on N too with the Next 18 sound chassis they deliver with most models.

I know the competion here is SLW and Heljan for the 25, but SLW is still small volume in comparison and Heljan don't put as much inside the shell as Bachmann it feels.

Still a good time to be an OO modeller but not for me I am happy in N.

Im not entirely convinced of that argument to be honest i also think that in the detail verses practicality debate Bachmann are still a bit more balanced on this in my view. 

• Agree 3

33 minutes ago, 40002 said:

Im not entirely convinced of that argument to be honest i also think that in the detail verses practicality debate Bachmann are still a bit more balanced on this in my view. 

I don’t disagree but having competition means you have to look at the quality and price of your offering, keeps firms on their toes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Just now, franciswilliamwebb said:

Conspicuous by its absence, unless I missed it, was the DCC controlled uncoupling as showcased on the Class 31.  Shame, I'd like to see that as a standard option across the range.

The 25s have been in development longer so perhaps that's why, the 31 possibly broke ground quicker to challenge the Accurascale models

• Like 1
  • Agree 1