Bachmann Turbostars (Class 168, 170 & 171) - Retooled

joejab95

On 16/02/2021 at 10:13, Legend said:

...but as far as I can see Railtec don't do spotrail for 170s , although I'm wondering if the 320 decals could be adapted.

You're in luck @Legend. These were already in design and have now just been released after some considerable effort. Bit of a mammoth pack to cover all that detail across 3 vehicles and it's one of the largest packs in the Railtec catalog. Luckily I'd spent a bit of time living in Inverness and crawled all over these with a tape measure and a camera so even all the seat number configurations are there. The 156s/158s will be re-released imminently too.

4mm-2154: ScotRail Saltire class 170 Turbostar

spacer.png

For those with an eager curiosity, the above Marks are of course reproduced with the permission of the Scottish Ministers..

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, railtec-models said:

You're in luck @Legend. These were already in design and have now just been released after some considerable effort. Bit of a mammoth pack to cover all that detail across 3 vehicles and it's one of the largest packs in the Railtec catalog. Luckily I'd spent a bit of time living in Inverness and crawled all over these with a tape measure and a camera so even all the seat number configurations are there. The 156s/158s will be re-released imminently too.

spacer.png

Just ordered . Thanks Steve . Hope it’s a good seller for you . I think it should be 

• Thanks 1

On 28/02/2021 at 22:47, XChris said:

Personally I'd appreciate a TPE 170, but I think pigs will fly first.

Maybe something to be reworked when the new tooling is out.

Id be in for a TPE 170 too - in face maybe one or two of them, given the absence of the 185. Thats a gap that Bachmann should have noticed and hit first but as ever, they picked a few and then will sit back and do something more obscure again later... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Id be in for a TPE 170 too - in face maybe one or two of them, given the absence of the 185. Thats a gap that Bachmann should have noticed and hit first but as ever, they picked a few and then will sit back and do something more obscure again later... 

If Bachmann were clever they would do the 170/3's and at a very similar time announce a 185 and capture what's left of the available TPE market seen as Dapol/Accurascale have got the TPE 68's, Hornby can do the 802's.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, XChris said:

If Bachmann were clever they would do the 170/3's and at a very similar time announce a 185 and capture what's left of the available TPE market seen as Dapol/Accurascale have got the TPE 68's, Hornby can do the 802's.

I think that makes the 185 a more viable idea, but so do does the amount of Northern Midnight blue stock, such as class 144, 156, 150, 153, 158. Whether the 185 comes from Bachmann, however.... 

• Like 2

On 05/03/2021 at 08:54, The Black Hat said:

I think that makes the 185 a more viable idea, but so do does the amount of Northern Midnight blue stock, such as class 144, 156, 150, 153, 158. Whether the 185 comes from Bachmann, however.... 

Whatever Northern stock/livery is released always seems to sell quickly, I suppose when they operate such a vast area then people modelling anywhere in the north will want them. More 144's and 156's are coming from Realtrack and then Bachmann are doing a new 150/2 and Rainbow have done the 158, so there are some already out or coming soon.

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, toolongtoremember said:

Anybody have an update for the release of these models? 

From last year:

'Whilst work may continue on these projects in readiness for their future release, no further updates will be provided until such a time that the models are ready for release.'

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 5 months later...
On 08/03/2021 at 09:57, XChris said:

More 144's and 156's are coming from Realtrack and then Bachmann are doing a new 150/2 and Rainbow have done the 158, so there are some already out or coming soon.

I'd love Bachmann to do a Northern 170 (and a 158 too). Only reason I don't have the 150 yet is I want to see if it gets any cheaper first (back to the price I originally ordered it for). Realtrack 156 already ordered!

Relatively speaking though Northern don't have that many 170s. They have more 158s than anybody else but Bachmann haven't done one of those yet (about the only thing I really hope for in their announcements).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I'd love Bachmann to do a Northern 170 (and a 158 too). Only reason I don't have the 150 yet is I want to see if it gets any cheaper first (back to the price I originally ordered it for). Realtrack 156 already ordered!

Relatively speaking though Northern don't have that many 170s. They have more 158s than anybody else but Bachmann haven't done one of those yet (about the only thing I really hope for in their announcements).

I'm actually hoping for Northern purple units as I never got the 150/1, and want a retooled 158 in the purple too.

I can't blame you for holding out for the price to drop, seen as the new 150 isn't any different tooling wise to the old model.

4 minutes ago, XChris said:

seen as the new 150 isn't any different tooling wise to the old model.

They put the accessible toilets in, so it is slightly different but not a game changer.

I would want the white Northern where applicable as 2020-2021 is my era of interest, but the dream would be white 170, white 3 car 158 and a purple 2 car 158 (as they are still about albeit debranded). I am less fussy about the specifics of the branding than I am the overall livery.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Just as an update:

There is no update.

In fact, the actual wording from Bachmann when I asked if there was a production date was:

I’m afraid we have no further updates on a re-tool of the Class 170 at the moment. I’ve added this as a suggestion to [our product suggestions database, which is periodically reviewed by our Research & Development team when they are considering future products], as that way the team will be aware that there are still requests for it.

That last part doesn't read like it's still in development...

Perhaps they're just being super tight-lipped about it all.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

As they said that they would be, back in 2020:

On 21/03/2021 at 09:50, Paul.Uni said:

From last year:

'Whilst work may continue on these projects in readiness for their future release, no further updates will be provided until such a time that the models are ready for release.'

Edited by Paul.Uni

1 hour ago, Paul.Uni said:

As they said that they would be, back in 2020

I think the thing is that they said "work may commence" as though there is a chance work won't happen and therefore it won't go anywhere. I don't read what you have quoted to mean they definitely intend to follow through with it.

Given the fact @Sir TophamHatt been told it's been added to the suggestions list also suggests it might not be WIP and could be dormant, possibly never to see the light of day.

Edited by TomScrut
corrected tag
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/09/2022 at 12:37, Benjamin Brady said:

I am rather hoping it is being worked on in the dark and we shall end up with an outstanding model like the 158. 

One of these 3 month announcements and it shall appear, although some more 158 liveries would be nice also.

I spoke with Kernow at the weekend, who may or may not have a 159 up their sleeve for release. They advised me it won't be released until the next batch of 158s are due, which sounded like early next year, but does confirm that new 158 liveries are on the way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SouthernMafia said:

I spoke with Kernow at the weekend, who may or may not have a 159 up their sleeve for release. They advised me it won't be released until the next batch of 158s are due, which sounded like early next year, but does confirm that new 158 liveries are on the way. 

Thank you for posting this information, it’s greatly appreciated. 

I think the Bachmann 159 that is to be the Kernow model is in the South Western Railways livery. I saw a few weeks ago a photo of one on Twitter. I can’t remember if it was posted on the Kernow Twitter page or if it was by a modeller/collector who had gained some information. I suspect it will be a very popular model. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

On 27/09/2022 at 10:31, Sir TophamHatt said:

Just as an update:

There is no update.

In fact, the actual wording from Bachmann when I asked if there was a production date was:

That last part doesn't read like it's still in development...

At the time it was clearly announced as a space-saving move to stop others doing it... whether that stops anyone however, remains to be seen. 

Accurascale Turbostar anyone? Personally, yes please!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

At the time it was clearly announced as a space-saving move to stop others doing it...

It's interesting that despite there being more players in the market now than back then, that this activity seems to have reduced rather than increased. It must have hit home with them how frustrating it is to us as consumers to have stuff announced but not arriving with little to no updates for years on end.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

It's interesting that despite there being more players in the market now than back then, that this activity seems to have reduced rather than increased.

Hi,

The truth is the opposite, there is a colossal amount of activity and development happening, and on some really exciting stuff, it’s just that Bachmann and others are choosing to not make that development public until the models are ready.

As I’ve said multiple times, the Turbostar is being worked on as Bachmann have stated.

Simon

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

The truth is the opposite, there is a colossal amount of activity and development happening, and on some really exciting stuff, it’s just that Bachmann and others are choosing to not make that development public until the models are ready.

I think you have completely misunderstood what I was saying, nobody seems to be announcing stuff and then delivering a long time into the future. The timescale from announcement to arrival seems shorter which completely agrees with what you're getting at.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I think you have completely misunderstood what I was saying, nobody seems to be announcing stuff and then delivering a long time into the future. The timescale from announcement to arrival seems shorter which completely agrees with what you're getting at.

Oh, I see, fair enough, I take it back :)

Simon

• Like 1

On 23/02/2021 at 00:25, railtec-models said:

spacer.png

For those with an eager curiosity, the above Marks are of course reproduced with the permission of the Scottish Ministers..

Hi Steve, 

Could you to do pack with the alternative numbers and the Gaelic branding, rather than buy a whole sheet?

Regards & thanks

Mr B