Paint job gone wrong on cut and shut model. Advice needed.

I've been building a OO gauge cut and shut MK1 BSO. I've used superglue and a liquid solvent in the construction (it's called'Mr Cement'). The painting stage has gone wrong and I need to return it back to bare plastic and start again.

Can anyone offer any advice regarding paint removal without the model falling apart and all the delicate detailing falling away?

Can anyone recommend  paint strippers that can be picked up on the high street? I don't have a model shop close by.

Edited by peak experience

• RMweb Gold

Solvent cement should fuse the plastic body parts together and superglue should be strong enough to resist paint removal liquids, so I should think you shouldn't have any problems as long as you don't use aggressive strippers, or leave the model in the solvent for too long.

Mike.

Guest Model.Maker

Original Dettol works fine for me, never had a reaction in anyway with glued joints nor putting top coats on, providing the shell is very well cleaned and allowed to dry naturally

Hi, is it the paint finish itself that is the problem? Or Varnish top coat that has bloomed? T-cut colour restorer (from auto accessory shops or supermarkets) used as per instructions will remove bloomed acrylic varnish without affecting underlying paint or adhesives/filler etc in my experience (although it will remove transfers in the process), I used this method on my class 126 cut & shut when the varnish bloomed. It would probably work on straight paint finishes too but care would be needed to ensure all the rubbing doesn't put pressure on joints causing them to fail. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned off before any further paint is applied too.

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

I’ve used the paint stripper made by Delux Materials specially for models. I certainly didn’t cause any problems on a Lima Deltic body.

They attend exhibitions or you could contact them for advice. They showed me some useful tricks with their superglue at Ally Pally.

• RMweb Premium

isnt the normal recommended brake fluid not usable ???

Should be, but the correct type - Dot 4 IIRC - isn't always easily available, depending on where you live (though Wilkinson's is a good source). Dettol is easier to find and takes the same time and gives the same results. But it really, really stinks. 

The Phoenix liquid went through a phase of attacking plastic a few years ago (a few people on here reported similar results) and I stopped using it. Plus, it's overpriced compared to brake fluid and Dettol, and you pay 7 quid to get it posted. 

All this assumes you need a full strip. If not, Signaller69's suggestion sounds good. 

• RMweb Premium

In the past I've used Mr Muscle oven cleaner on plastic with success. Pop the model in a plastic bag (big food bag) spray all over with the cleaner, seal the bag and leave for about an hour. Scrub paint off with an old toothbrush if loose, if not reseal and leave a bit longer. No problem with Milliput, epoxy resins or solvent welded joins. Unsure about other fillers (wasn't using them at the time) or superglues (rarely use even now).

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I think i'm going to the T-cut method, suggested by Signaller 69, on the parts where the paint has bloomed and hopefully a full strip down won't be required.

I had one further thought. If it is just a small area of bloom, an even easier way to remove it is to rub a tiny amount of olive oil into it and the white bloom will disappear, which is fine if you don't want to apply any further varnish but further coats could be problematic. I have tried this myself and it does work, and doesn't require as much rubbing as the T-cut method, but does need cleaning off after application of course as it gets everywhere otherwise.

• RMweb Gold

Should be, but the correct type - Dot 4 IIRC - isn't always easily available, depending on where you live (though Wilkinson's is a good source). Dettol is easier to find and takes the same time and gives the same results. But it really, really stinks. 

Halfords have Dot 4.