TTS Sound not working

liamsantini

Hi all, I have a TTS decoder. The decoder is working the train very well, and very smooth. But there is no sound when I press F1. So I decided to buy a new speaker, I connected it up, put back on track and still no sound. So I reset the decoder on CV8 and then reinstalled the loco back into the controller. Still nothing, I then reset CV8 but pressed 5 like the manual says to reset sounds...nothing! All connections seem ok...what is the issue??? Decoder works...two speakers and no sound lol....

To be honest chaps, this is the second time this has happened. I feel like paying the extra £60 or so at YouChoos or digitrax! These TTS decoders seem to be very temperamental sometimes! I will be emailing them though just to make sure they know. Thanks chaps

To be honest chaps, this is the second time this has happened. I feel like paying the extra £60 or so at YouChoos or digitrax! These TTS decoders seem to be very temperamental sometimes! I will be emailing them though just to make sure they know. Thanks chaps

I think you are right. Hornby TTS is designed around a price point and they are pretty basic.

I don't know what the engine is, but depending on type there is likely to be a Zimo or Loksound decoder which will give you much greater flexibly, and much more satisfaction.

Look at Digitrains British sounds and at Youchoos.

John

Johh

Almost all of my sound decoders in both N & 00 are Zimo from Youchoos (10) and can't fault them. Of the others 1 is a Loksound supplied by Hornby in their class 08 from a few yeas ago and one TTS in their Black 5

Although the TTS in the Black 5 is good for the price, the output and sounds loaded are not a patch on the Zimo with files from Youchoose, and had Bachmann done a Black 5 I would have gone down the Zimo route with that as well, might still replace the TTS decoder with a Zimo yet.

Paul

I think you are right. Hornby TTS is designed around a price point and they are pretty basic.

I don't know what the engine is, but depending on type there is likely to be a Zimo or Loksound decoder which will give you much greater flexibly, and much more satisfaction.

Look at Digitrains British sounds and at Youchoos.

John

Johh

DCKits/Legomanbiffo sometimes has some of the older V3.5 Decoders available (Normally 21Pin) at around £60.00. Worth Asking.

Charlie

i cant see Hornby replacing or repairing if you've chopped the wire off and replaced the speaker

The installation instructions talk to using your own speaker and describing how best to do it, so they shouldn't quibble as long as the speaker used was 8-ohm 1 Watt per the blurb.

Rob

• Agree 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.

I bought a Hornby class 37 TTS chip to go in my Bachmann class 37 (8 pin socket).

The sound worked briefly when I installed the chip this morning, but then stopped and now won’t  produce any sounds at all.

The sound chip gets too hot to touch, the loco still responds to standard motor instructions (forward, reverse, speed, etc.).

Does anyone have any idea so to assist me please, worried to put the loco back on the track because of the heat in the sound chip!

Thanks in advance, stay safe and well.

TTS warranty is no quibble including user finger trouble, providing the plug is still attached, although it doesn’t mention the latter in the warranty. Call HCC to get it sorted.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

My son saved up his pocket money for a Class 31 TTS. He was very pleased with it, however, loco was put back in its box after a running session, but when he got it back out again after a week, the decoder is dead. He is an unhappy 13 year old, and I am not much different (in fact just older).

We haven’t got a receipt that we can find to see if still under warranty. Not overly impressed. 

Roy

If the loco was bought using a credit or debit card any retailer should be able to confirm date of purchase for warranty purposes.

I recently took a drill back to B&Q and the receipt had faded to unreadable but they soon tracked the sale from my card and replaced the drill.

I have one now, ebay purchase, won't programme with SPROG, tried both ways, still inert, the only sign of life is the led at the front of th HST, sound,, I found the red wire off from the chip, so removed the whole speaker until I could replace properly, does this class asa warranty claim?

Not even sure if I still have the box!

Ian

• RMweb Premium
On 13/04/2020 at 21:01, Roy Langridge said:

My son saved up his pocket money for a Class 31 TTS. He was very pleased with it, however, loco was put back in its box after a running session, but when he got it back out again after a week, the decoder is dead. He is an unhappy 13 year old, and I am not much different (in fact just older).

We haven’t got a receipt that we can find to see if still under warranty. Not overly impressed. 

Roy

I’d just double-check by trying it both ways around on the track. The decoders fitted to the 31 TTS only worked one way around with some DCC systems. Soon got fixed with subsequent batches but it might be one of the original ones. My 31 TTS is but works fine both ways on my PA2 system but not the Sprog .

Izzy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Izzy said:

I’d just double-check by trying it both ways around on the track. The decoders fitted to the 31 TTS only worked one way around with some DCC systems. Soon got fixed with subsequent batches but it might be one of the original ones. My 31 TTS is but works fine both ways on my PA2 system but not the Sprog .

Izzy

Agree with izzy here... A known issue with the early tts 31s is they only work with the loco facing one direction.... A return to Hornby however and they will update the firmware which fixesvthis issue. But try turning the loco 180 degree's... 

Edited by pheaton

• RMweb Gold
On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 11:55, Izzy said:

Izzy

Thanks for the suggestion. I have now tried both directions to no avail. The DCC system does not see the chip and I cannot read any CVs.

I have investigated further and discovered what I believe the fault to be. The wires at the decoder end have had too much insulation stripped and, in some cases, are able to touch each other. Red and orange show clear signs of being burnt. Of the eight wires, six have in my opinion (and I am a qualified electronics engineer) too much insulation stripped, the other two are just passable. Also, no wires are passed through the plated through holes prior to soldering - lazy workmanship and increased risk of poor joints.

A fuzzy photo showing issue:

TTS_31(2).png.03c31776492757f1254947f336675663.png

I have emailed Hornby with my findings.

Best regards,

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Can't spell!
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have now tried both directions to no avail. The DCC system does not see the chip and I cannot read any CVs.

I have investigated further and discovered what I believe the fault to be. The wires at the decoder end have had too much insulation stripped and, in some cases, are able to touch each other. Red and orange show clear signs of being burnt. Of the eight wires, six have in my opinion (and I am a qualified electronics engineer) too much insulation stripped, the other two are just passable. Also, no wires are passed through the plated through holes prior to soldering - lazy workmanship and increased risk of poor joints.

A fuzzy photo showing issue:

TTS_31(2).png.03c31776492757f1254947f336675663.png

I have emailed Hornby with my findings.

Best regards,

Roy

Good job you haven't got a Hornby 4-pin decoder

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/39802/Hornby-r7274-any-scale-4-pin-decoder?utm_source=Mailing+List&utm_campaign=46b10de824-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_04_21_08_16&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_74d01bc2ed-46b10de824-5515689

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Premium

I'm sorry things haven't worked out. All the TTS decoders I have seem to have been properly assembled, with the wires fixed through the holes on alternate sides to help keep them apart. I have only had issues with one, despite adding wires for stay-alives to some. The problem one was my fault in that I decided to change the speaker wires and soldering new ones onto the decoder seems to have damaged the amp. It still works and produces sound, but at a reduced volume and less crisp......

Izzy