Green Leaf Brewery London

Aldgate Box Boy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just had chance to see this layout in the flesh and have a go ... it is absolutely superb.  It is also a lot of fun to operate ... think Timesaver or Ingelnook only five times more complicated.  Tim has done a brilliant job in making the headshunts long enough to look realistic, but tricky to shunt ... well done!!

I thought we had been chatting and operating for half an hour, but when I looked at my watch we'd been playing trains for over two hours.

IMO the only flaw in this layout is that it isn't exhibitable!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Excuse me if I've missed it but has a track plan/size been published?

I'm on the verge of building my own small 7mm layout and have been looking at numerous plan/sizes to see what space saving ideas they might have.

Dear Ray, thanks for the message.some of the details are in an earlier post on page 1.

The layout is 316 cm by 80 cm (10' x 2' 6" approx.) taking up one side of a room. I have nicked lots of ideas but the space saving idea of two three-way points is from Dutch River Dock layout which I think is great.  The points are Marcway - 2 x three-way, 1 x Y point and 5 mixture of left and right hand points.  The track is Peco flexi.  There is cork underlay under the points as there is a height difference. I can recommend Marcway points especially to get around frog switching all done internally with the switch. Point motors are DCC Concepts operated by their Switch Levers. As a lot of people have noted it's worth thinking and planning as much as you can.  However I don't think you can avoid making errors and learning lots. Good luck with yours why not start a thread?

I am attaching some phots and one of the diagram which gives you a rough idea.

Cheers Tim

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks

There probably will be a thread when I know which way I'm pointing the needle !

The remaining signals for my 4mm layout are the current priority. However, there's only a couple (with multiple arms) left so I'm hopeful I'll get something moving on the 7mm layout soon. At least I can take my motive power to the club for a run in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...

Now, you could put a slight incline on the track heading top right in the over all layout pic above, through the window, and escape into a garden railway!! :jester::jester:

Go on ... you will ... you will ... you will ...

On 16/09/2019 at 12:38, Aldgate Box Boy said:

IMG_0248.JPG

Edited by Jack
Picture not displaying