Some interesting posts there...

As I think I've said before, my first introduction to the SECR, LBSCR, NLR and LSWR was through the Railway Series, so best not to knock it too much!

It is vital that it continues, for the sake of the hobby, and of late it has (I looked into it a bit more last night whilst sleepless!), I believe, had to dispatch two original characters (cannot remember their names off the top of my head...) in favour of two, new, Female ones. Now I can see both sides of this, but when something has been around, albeit much altered (Like all locos!) for well over 70,years then I can get that people are worked up about it.

Personally, the Bulleid is a bit annoying because it will now become a common line when I'm wandering around the shed at the Bluebell or the yard at Ropley, to hear children referring to 'Blackmoor Vale' or 'Wadebridge' by the new characters name. It's bad enough with Stepney, and as far as I know that one hasn't appeared for many a year! Nobody highlights 'Primrose', 'Bluebell', 'Adams', 'Cromford' or 'Baxter' now, do they... and they were some of the few 'faceless' locos to ever appear!

What is potentially bad for the hobby is some of the very poor content produced by some online with regards TTTE, including Fan Fictions, but also some (BY NO MEANS ALL!!!) Youtube series. I think some will see where I'm coming from here, and I come across some slightly disturbing stuff whilst researching LBSCR Locos. That's another annoying thing - when one is trying to find pictures of actual E2's, not  a stumpy little blue tank engine which may or may not have had a passing resemblance to one at some stage. There are some very nice pieces of TTTE modelling, and some of the best can be found right here on RMweb, but I can't help thinking some of the poorer examples on Youtube (Not modellers The sort who use shop-bought toys. Oh. Wait...) are not helping some of the Hobby's image of men playing with toy trains (something which, as proven in this very forum is entirely untrue)

You took the words right out of my mouth, sem. Speaking as someone who also has Asperger's, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Regularity may have been blunt but he does have a point. A great deal of people do view this hobby as being a bit... childish? is the word I want to use? and the TV series' fanbase doesn't really help with that perception.

Also, Freightliner, we were discussing the Railway Series analytically, not attacking it, and with the TV series we (or at the very least myself) were attacking the mindset of the company behind the show and select groups of fans and not the show itself. It has its place and we all accept that, like it or not. I myself am a similar age to you (slightly younger actually) and grew up with the RWS books and the early part of the TV series (Season 4 and earlier) and while I'm not a fan of the TV series by any stretch of the imagination or like what HiT are doing with the source material it is not my place to demean people who do like it... so long as they don't attack other people over their opinions.

The RWS, as I myself said, has a cherished place in the mindset of nearly every railway modeller and deserves that place. The TV series also has its place, and it is quite an important one at that. It is what will hopefully plant the seeds that will keep the hobby alive for generations to come and no amount of toxic (and somewhat disturbing, if I'm allowed to be honest) fanbases and irritating corporate cash-grabbing by HiT will ever change that.

Also, sem, the two characters you're looking for are Edward and Toby I believe. For me that is annoying as those were my favourite RWS characters as a child. Henry was apparently also removed from the main cast. You can thank my seven-year-old younger brother for that information.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

Ladies & Gentlemen

Is there any way we can get back to the main thread of this listing and avoid all the drivel.

I have Parkinsons, and to plough through all the postings which are not relevant to the original subject is hard work.

Many thanks for the useful postings though

• Like 1

Ladies & Gentlemen

Is there any way we can get back to the main thread of this listing and avoid all the drivel.

I have Parkinsons, and to plough through all the postings which are not relevant to the original subject is hard work.

Many thanks for the useful postings though

Sorry. sem, please return us to our regularly scheduled programming.

Would love to have a go at a Manning Wardle 2-4-0T or 0-4-0ST myself. Love those engines, plus they'd be fitting considering the inspiration my own work takes from Colonel Stephens' lines.

There's a rather nice one on Shapeways here in 4mm - I've got it in Frosted Ultra Detail, and have just heard back from the designer what gearbox and motor they designed it for, so hopefully soon I'll be able to get it up and running!

post-793-0-43156500-1521547467_thumb.jpg

[Edit: Mashima 1015 motor, and a High Level Kits "Horizontal Micromiser" gearbox, apparently]

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 7

There's a rather nice one on Shapeways here in 4mm - I've got it in Frosted Ultra Detail, and have just heard back from the designer what gearbox and motor they designed it for, so hopefully soon I'll be able to get it up and running!

attachicon.gifManning Wardle.jpg

[Edit: Mashima 1015 motor, and a High Level Kits "Horizontal Micromiser" gearbox, apparently]

...actually sitting thinking about it I believe we actually discussed this same topic on one of your GSR threads, Skinny. Hmm. No wonder I was getting déjà vu after that last post.

Either way it's a beautiful little engine and certainly one I'd like to add to the KLR fleet.

attachicon.gifManning Wardle.jpg

That's the first one of those that I've seen with paint on it and the surface doesn't look as bad as I though it might. Will it pull the skin off a rice pudding?  Are the tanks and boiler hollow and could you get a decent amount of lead sheet in there? I'll be very interested to see that finished and working.

One of those tiny 2-4-0T Mannings is something I've been considering scratchbuilding but in the old-fashioned way, by bashing lumps of brass, but I could be tempted to try this 3D print malarkey instead. I may have to chop off the canopy and make that out of thin brass instead though. :scratchhead:

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 2

That's the first one of those that I've seen with paint on it and the surface doesn't look as bad as I though it might. Will it pull the skin off a rice pudding?  Are the tanks and boiler hollow and could you get a decent amount of lead sheet in there? I'll be very interested to see that finished and working.

One of those tiny 2-4-0T Mannings is something I've been considering scratchbuilding but in the old-fashioned way, by bashing lumps of brass, but I could be tempted to try this 3D print malarkey instead. I may have to chop off the canopy and make that out of thin brass instead though. :scratchhead:

Oh, I adore all of Manning Wardle's locomotives. The issue would be finding a chassis to fit it seeing as I'm useless at assembling chassis and connecting motors generally.

• RMweb Gold

Regularity may have been blunt but he does have a point.

Not sure if bluntness works well with a point....

As I said, most are afraid to criticise the infantilism of TTTE, and you can see why: infantile abuse, which we can do without. Both my kids have been diagnosed formally as having ASD (my wife says they got it from me!) but they wouldn’t stoop so low as some of the things said recently in this thread. I brought them up better than that.

Edited by Regularity

Not sure if bluntness works well with a point....

As I said, most are afraid to criticise the infantilism or TTTE, and you can see why: infantile abuse, which we can do without. Both my kids have been diagnosed formally as having ASD (my wife says they got it from me!) but they wouldn’t stoop so low as some of the things said recently in this thread. I brought them up better than that.

Sorry if I offended you. I was trying to end the argument before it started. As such, can we please not drag the thread off the rails again just as it's gotten back on them? 

• RMweb Gold

Sorry if I offended you. I was trying to end the argument before it started. As such, can we please not drag the thread off the rails again just as it's gotten back on them?

Firstly, I wasn’t offended.

Secondly, if I was, it wasn’t by you: I put a space between paragraphs to separate a humorous remark in response to you from a serious point about rudeness (as opposed to bluntness) and the ongoing irony of people claiming a right to free speech whilst simultaneously denigrating someone else doing the same thing simply because their view is different.

Thirdly, I have been away from the forum since I made my initial statement of opinion, and wished to exercise my right to reply.

Fourthly, yes.

Fifthly, who’s seen my pet camel?

Firstly, I wasn’t offended.

Secondly, if I was, it wasn’t by you: I put a space between paragraphs to separate a humorous remark in response to you from a serious point about rudeness (as opposed to bluntness) and the ongoing irony of people claiming a right to free speech whilst simultaneously denigrating someone else doing the same thing simply because their view is different.

Thirdly, I have been away from the forum since I made my initial statement of opinion, and wished to exercise my right to reply.

Fourthly, yes.

Fifthly, who’s seen my pet camel?

1. and 2. Thank you for clarifying. I thought that was the case but wanted to be safe.

3. Fair enough. You are entitled to such. And yes, you made an excellent point.

4. Certainly then. 

5. But Mr Regularity, aren't you in fact a trainspotter? (Sorry, had to.)

But yes, back to Manning Wardle tanks. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

5. But Mr Regularity, aren't you in fact a trainspotter? (Sorry, had to.)

No problem, but no.

Apart from a few weeks when I was 13.

And then I asked myself what was the point of it?

• Like 1

No problem, but no.

Apart from a few weeks when I was 13.

And then I asked myself what was the point of it?

D*mn it, you ruined the reference.

But yeah, I might need to invest in the motors and such needed to work the Manning. Do you think I could fit tension-lock couplings to that chassis?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was lucky enough to have most of my undergraduate lectures in rooms overlooking the WCML at one of its more interesting locations during an interesting era, certainly to the detriment of my academic progress as I spent too much time looking out of the window. As such, quite a few of my friends called me, “Simon the trainspotter” to distinguish me from other Simons they knew.

I suppose it could have been worse, e.g. Simple Simon.

Back to the topic... why would anyone want to lock in the tension? Still, if the coupling fits...

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

D*mn it, you ruined the reference.

TBH, you’ve lost me there.

What reference?

But yeah, I might need to invest in the motors and such needed to work the Manning. Do you think I could fit tension-lock couplings to that chassis?

Ask the designer: it seems a reasonable thing to want to do, given that is the U.K. standard buffering-coupling.
  • Like 1

Firstly, the reference:

Am I the only who cringed at the number being 'above the piston box'? Yes? OK...

Secondly: Yes, that is something I too would be interested to know.

Edited by sem34090

Am I the only who cringed at the number being 'above the piston box'? Yes? OK...

Let me make it clear that no you are not. It doesn't detract from how funny the sketch is though - the Pythons are comedians, not railway enthusiasts. In fact in my mind if anything it makes the sketch funnier.

Ask the designer: it seems a reasonable thing to want to do, given that is the U.K. standard buffering-coupling.

Fair enough. I'm asking because all my KLR stock uses them. 

I was referring to Jasper Carrot.

Not particularly familiar with his work actually. Really should be; he's kind of up there with Spike Milligan and the Pythons themselves for surreal comedy.

• Like 1