I actually managed to get some CAD done today!

The T3 is progressing, and Derwent will be receiving attention before the day is out.

In the meantime, some layout pictures from 'Kimmeridge', my 009 'Tea Tray':

16475365-3.1024.jpg

16475456-3.1024.jpg

16475458-3.1024.jpg

16475460-3.1024.jpg

16475465-3.1024.jpg

• Like 8

The T3 is progressing, and Derwent will be receiving attention before the day is out.

16475365-3.1024.jpg

16475456-3.1024.jpg

16475458-3.1024.jpg

16475460-3.1024.jpg

16475465-3.1024.jpg

Nice one!

I am, as you know, notoriously 'company blind' and, indeed, 'region blind', as I love the pre-Grouping scene from at least the 1830s to the Great War and beyond, and that includes all counties and companies, though I confess I know much less about Scottish and Irish railways than I'd like.

I'm also gauge blind; so I am as interested in Victorian and Edwardian narrow gauge lines as I am in the standard or broad gauge (or Irish broad gauge) ones! 

So I, for one, have no problem with NG stuff in this part of the website.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

Well, the South Dorset Narrow Gauge railways had a very complex history, all starting out as independents, some getting absorbed by the GWR, some by the LSWR and some remaining independent. One even went under WD Control!

Here is Dorset Railway No.2, which was absorbed into LSWR stock and allocated the number 032. It retained this until BR days, when it simply became No.32, as the front line engine that had caused it to go on the duplicate list was long since gone.

14491586-1.1024.jpg

The loco is a very poor 3D print that was based on some CAD for an NLR 4-4-0T that was sent to me.

• Like 4

This has reminded me that I need to make a proper micro roundy-roundy some day... Mainly so I can make up my own wacky and wonderful rolling stock.

Would that be a Kato chassis you're using or something more home-made?

• Like 1

Well, the South Dorset Narrow Gauge railways had a very complex history, all starting out as independents, some getting absorbed by the GWR, some by the LSWR and some remaining independent. One even went under WD Control!

Here is Dorset Railway No.2, which was absorbed into LSWR stock and allocated the number 032. It retained this until BR days, when it simply became No.32, as the front line engine that had caused it to go on the duplicate list was long since gone.

14491586-1.1024.jpg

The loco is a very poor 3D print that was based on some CAD for an NLR 4-4-0T that was sent to me.

It's not that bad a print from the photo. I think it's quite sweet actually. Love to see a working version!

No.32 does run, or at least will run when I fit a chassis to her!

Today proved to be very profitable, and only £15 was spent in total!

The first haul of today at the Narrow Gauge South show in Eastleigh was a K's LNWR Webb Coal tank finished as No.6874 in LMS black. It is currently lacking a motor and chimney but is otherwise complete. It will at some stage be stripped of its LMS insignia and finished as per the preserved example as I cabbed it at Horsted Keynes last year. Also, as someone who does not yet have any form of LNWR stock, it allows me to run the loco with MK1's. I may contact London Road Models for the chimney.

Next haul was a set of four Triang Clerestories, nicely finished in GWR Pre-1928 livery. Two have been fitted with cast Dean Bogies (the two brakes), one bears a single Dean bogie, and the other no bogies or glazing. These were purchased at only £2.50 each as workbench-fodder, but I think I will maintain two as GWR Coaches. They all have three-links too.

Finally, I accquired some professionally-constructed baseboards and legs! These were on sale throughout the show, gradually reduced until the owner was offering them for free! Always being one for a freebie, and requiring boards for either Bognor or a larger 009 project, I jumped in and took three of the four boards, the other being nabbed just as I got there.

All in all, considering I thought I wouldn't be buying anything significant, a very good day! I don't often strike it lucky like this...

Still, there was a beautiful LNWR 2-4-0T and 2-4-2T, running, at £30 each. I didn't have that kind of money, and they went fast. Unfortunately the majority of my model railway budget has been allocated to an Andrew Barclay. I don't regret ordering one, but was a bit miffed. Still, could be much, much, worse!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That was indeed a good haul Sem.  The clerestories and the Coal Tank would be considered good enough, but three baseboards for free really slathers the icing on the cake.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

16475365-3.1024.jpg

16475456-3.1024.jpg

16475458-3.1024.jpg

16475460-3.1024.jpg

16475465-3.1024.jpg

Funny you should think of showing off your 009 now. You should keep an eye on Oak Hill this week!! (probably tomorrow!)

Gary

I have still yet to take photographs...

In the meantime, the T3 CAD is progressing, I've got mid-way through rebuilding a Fleischmann 'Magic Train' Diesel into an 0-4-0T (Using part of a Hornby NBR D, a scratchbuilt chimney and a Bachmann E4 smokebox door to offer a slight late-LBSCR look.) and have stripped down the Coal tank's chassis ready for the motor to go in once I have a romford screwdriver to sort the wheels out with. I have also put the first coat of white on two of the Clerestory roofs.

I'm actually doing some modelling for a change!

• Like 3

Where do I begin...

The T3 had been progressing well - it was almost finished. Then, I went to measure part of the chassis. I applied it to the 3D chassis, and it looked wrong. So I measured another part of the chassis, and another, and soon realised that I had modelled the whole chassis too small, and there was no way a T3 would fit it.

So, I've had a re-think. I need to get a 4-4-0 to fit a Hornby Midland Compound chassis by Wednesday at the latest (Anyone who wants to know why should PM me). I am currently looking at doing an LNWR Webb 4-4-0, but if anyone has any suggestions (And, crucially, drawings) please, please, post them here or PM them to me.

Thank You.

The T3 had been progressing well - it was almost finished. Then, I went to measure part of the chassis. I applied it to the 3D chassis, and it looked wrong. So I measured another part of the chassis, and another, and soon realised that I had modelled the whole chassis too small, and there was no way a T3 would fit it.

So the T3 is considerably smaller than the Midland Compound? Did the same designer do a larger 4-4-0 that shared common parts like some of the SECR classes that you could rescale bits of it for? X2, T6 etc?

Edited by TurboSnail

Are you measuring the wheels over the flanges? 32mm would translate as 8 foot driving wheels (the same size as the Stirling Single)! I'm struggling to find anything that's very close, but perhaps a Southern L1 class? (Do the opposite of what Triang did when they converted their L1 into a 2P) I'm not sure quite how close it'd be, but the bonus of no outside cylinders...

• Like 1