meanach

On 20/06/2022 at 07:04, young37215 said:

More Turbots!, 1988 pictures I stumbled upon whilst researching coaching stock formations

37.413  on PW -back - by Horseshoe, Tyndrum. Nov;'88

Apologies for hijacking again, but my LLB 37 has returned yesterday so tried to re-create the above image:

GL140.jpg.f5e86e73c002d316a337fa548456a4ef.jpg

• Like 9

• 6 months later...

On the ‘to do’ list for the last 3 years I finally got around to weathering Mickleover model railway groups exclusive civil engineers BG.

On camera you can’t really tell but there are 3 shades of enamel washes on the body and an air brush weathered roof and under frame . 

After looking it over I decided I wasn’t happy with the roof. An irony is that I have spent many an afternoon shaving off Bachmann mk1 ribs and yet here I am trying to show them on this BG which has none ! More roof patching added and some representation of the ribbed sections of the roof. 

79833B38-69AB-4A62-84F6-109AF52CF0D1.jpeg

Edited by meanach
Updated photo.
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Ian. The MMRG BG is a nice model, interestingly I have only seen it in fairly pristine condition like the 1983 picture below which is a bit of an irritation given mine is also lightly weathered! Still a good Scottish winter will have no doubt added some filth and messed up the nice clean paintwork.

I would like a version of the breakdown train and keep looking at the yellow Bachmann BSK which would give me the two end coaches in the picture. How I go about the middle coach I don't know, perhaps I should settle for a 2 coach consist. 

Eastfield Classic

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Do you know the origin of the centre coach? It has an ex LNER look about it, possibly one of the Thompson match board full brakes chopped around. Like this one.

EED5E007-F8EE-4547-873A-78269F26E427.jpeg.1bc714e2e5b5217b95ca266f7f6498d4.jpeg

If so, they used to be made by Mailcoach and with the ex Ian Kirk stuff  being re-released soon, then it may become available again. They are plastic sides and easy to cut and shut.

Andy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, young37215 said:

Nice work Ian. The MMRG BG is a nice model, interestingly I have only seen it in fairly pristine condition like the 1983 picture below which is a bit of an irritation given mine is also lightly weathered! Still a good Scottish winter will have no doubt added some filth and messed up the nice clean paintwork.

I would like a version of the breakdown train and keep looking at the yellow Bachmann BSK which would give me the two end coaches in the picture. How I go about the middle coach I don't know, perhaps I should settle for a 2 coach consist. 

Eastfield Classic

I could only only find one photo of it and it wasn’t that one so this is interesting . Did it ever get used on its own do you know ? It also looks like it has no corridor connections in this phot? 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Do you know the origin of the centre coach?

No idea I am afraid, old coaching stock is not a subject I am familiar with. A better picture shows it more clearly labelled as a tool van.

Former Eastfield Depot Breakdown Train van 975527

If you click on the picture it takes you to Flickr where my search for '1980's Eastfield breakdown trains' returned a dozen or so pictures. I can't see the BG on its own anywhere, it is usually in a 3 coach consist made up of differing engineers stock. 

As noted by PaulRHB I also note that Kernow are selling off their remaining MMRG BG's at £25 each, that is 50% of the original price!  I wonder if a second one is required?, this 1983 picture from the above search suggests it could be justified and it would be easier to recreate the consist from existing off the shelf models. I need to have a look in my Platform 5 coaching stock books to see what engineering rolling stock was allocated to the SCR around this time before making my mind up.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, young37215 said:

No idea I am afraid, old coaching stock is not a subject I am familiar with. A better picture shows it more clearly labelled as a tool van.

Former Eastfield Depot Breakdown Train van 975527

That looks like a Gresley coach from the roof and bogies although the sides appear to have been completely rebuilt. 
If you post that in the prototype section I’m sure the LNER aficionados will be able to tell you what it was. 

Turning up the contrast shows the distinctive Gresley bogie. 
682141DA-9327-4E07-A49F-6032ADDFA2A6.jpeg.645d9215301889568106a04b2d14e8d7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, micklner said:

Looks like a rebuilt Gresley to me as well . The ends are the only part of the body left.

here it is

https://www.transporttreasury.com/p444133904/hE90D2A37

“GHT5258 - UK BR Class Departmental, ADB975537 at Eastfield - 24-09-1977 - BTU Tool Van .Ex-DE321132, ex-E70495E LNER BGPDia 245 Built York 1940. Originally LNER No.4272. ”

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 21/02/2023 at 12:28, PaulRhB said:

here it is

https://www.transporttreasury.com/p444133904/hE90D2A37

“GHT5258 - UK BR Class Departmental, ADB975537 at Eastfield - 24-09-1977 - BTU Tool Van .Ex-DE321132, ex-E70495E LNER BGPDia 245 Built York 1940. Originally LNER No.4272. ”

Thanks for all this valuable input chaps. (Assuming I’m still ok to use this term?!) Oddly RM web hasn’t sent me any notifications to say you’d inputted anything to my pages ! 

My BG was a show deal at Stafford pre pandemic so it was £35. It’s a pretty niche product really so I’m not surprised it’s being heavily discounted.  Another BG , 🤔 well I guess they do harmonise. 

Ian 

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, meanach said:

Thanks for all this valuable input chaps. (Assuming I’m still ok to use this term?!)

I identify as cake, haribo and profiterole supported so that’s cool 😆

35 minutes ago, meanach said:

Oddly RM web hasn’t sent me any notifications to say you’d inputted anything to my pages ! 

Have you tapped follow below and asked for them? If you have pass it to Andy to check why it’s not working. 😉

• Funny 3

Well , I knew I’d succumb and I did. It’s not really a west highland / highland stalwart but seeing as how I have seen a photo of one in use then that’s good enough for me! Also it replaces my aging / even older than me?! Hornby version . Of course I’m talking about the excellent looking Rapido Ferry van. 

Like all things super detailed , it’s a little fragile ! It lost a buffer as soon as I opened the box and weathering it was a little tricky as I it felt like something may snap off at any moment. 

Air brushed with life colour roof dirt, frame dirt, dirty black, a touch of brake dust and pin washed with MIG dark wash. The roof was finished off with weathering powders and all sealed with Tester dull coat lacquer. I based the weathering on an aerial shot of one at Derby in 87.

Finally internally weighted with 2 car wheel weights. I try to do this with most of my wagons. 

Here it is, sat dumped in the siding at Meanach. 

1F48380E-1907-4616-BDF3-CB32B3BB399A.jpeg

990A32DA-63A2-4118-A733-15B87F4B2A73.jpeg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
On 01/03/2023 at 10:48, meanach said:

Well , I knew I’d succumb and I did. It’s not really a west highland / highland stalwart but seeing as how I have seen a photo of one in use then that’s good enough for me! Also it replaces my aging / even older than me?! Hornby version . Of course I’m talking about the excellent looking Rapido Ferry van. 

Like all things super detailed , it’s a little fragile ! It lost a buffer as soon as I opened the box and weathering it was a little tricky as I it felt like something may snap off at any moment. 

Air brushed with life colour roof dirt, frame dirt, dirty black, a touch of brake dust and pin washed with MIG dark wash. The roof was finished off with weathering powders and all sealed with Tester dull coat lacquer. I based the weathering on an aerial shot of one at Derby in 87.

Finally internally weighted with 2 car wheel weights. I try to do this with most of my wagons. 

Here it is, sat dumped in the siding at Meanach. 

1F48380E-1907-4616-BDF3-CB32B3BB399A.jpeg

990A32DA-63A2-4118-A733-15B87F4B2A73.jpeg

Nice work Ian, the weathering softens the 'out of the box' appearance. You mention a picture of a Ferrywagon on the WHL, can you share it wherabouts please?, I would love to see it and better still find out what it was doing, where it was going.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, young37215 said:

Nice work Ian, the weathering softens the 'out of the box' appearance. You mention a picture of a Ferrywagon on the WHL, can you share it wherabouts please?, I would love to see it and better still find out what it was doing, where it was going.

Now you’re asking Rob ! It was among the many countless images I see on face book pages. I seem to recall it was at Crianlarich in about 82 with some VDA vans. I’ve started to screen shot any potential modelling images now, which is something I should have done ages ago! 

• RMweb Gold

I have had a search on Flickr and managed to find a 1986 picture of an Oban bound freight at Crianlarich with what appears a ferrywagon. That will do for me, I will be adding one or two to my shopping list.

Oban Speedlink

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, young37215 said:

I have had a search on Flickr and managed to find a 1986 picture of an Oban bound freight at Crianlarich with what appears a ferrywagon. That will do for me, I will be adding one or two to my shopping list.

Oban Speedlink

That’s an interesting one, it has a strange door! That’s not the image I recall , the one I saw was facing the other way. What’s also interesting about this is that the adjacent TTA wagon looks to be an Esso style one with the ladder straight down the back.

• Like 1

It does look like it might be one of the European vans to my eyes. 
Also an interesting spot with the TTA Ian. 
An Inverness 37 too. Lots to see in that photo.

• Like 1

Also I have one of the old Hornby Ferry vans that I picked up at an exhibition in the mid 90s when I started to collect stock for my (then) future West Highland layout. This was justified as I too had seen a photo of one on the line but I haven’t the foggiest where I saw the photo and can’t remember where on the line so I didn’t pop up and comment either here on on WHL4 as I had no evidence to back it up. But seeing as others have seen evidence courtesy of Flickr, which obviously wasn’t available when I bought my model.

The Rapido version is a stunning model which I can’t really justify for Mallaig but the OAA will be a temptation to great.

Andy

14 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Also I have one of the old Hornby Ferry vans that I picked up at an exhibition in the mid 90s when I started to collect stock for my (then) future West Highland layout. This was justified as I too had seen a photo of one on the line but I haven’t the foggiest where I saw the photo and can’t remember where on the line so I didn’t pop up and comment either here on on WHL4 as I had no evidence to back it up. But seeing as others have seen evidence courtesy of Flickr, which obviously wasn’t available when I bought my model.

The Rapido version is a stunning model which I can’t really justify for Mallaig but the OAA will be a temptation to great.

Andy

Snap ! Seen side by side , the old Hornby one , although basic , isn’t horrendous ! 

6CD80E2C-18AA-4147-AA96-5606ACB646DD.jpeg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful Primo models larch trees. 3 new ones I’ve just added . Relatively tall at around 20cm they are a scale 49 feet. Often model trees are way under scale which works well when set at a distance but looks wrong close up. 

33EA5171-4A5F-4531-95CE-F75E49F82CC3.jpeg

• Like 14

Another on the ‘to do’ list ticked off. It’s so long since I picked up these mermaid wagons they were only £15 each! 
Not so common on the west highland but they did go up there . I’m reliably informed by driver John Hynd that one sat ‘off the road ‘ north of Ardlui for some years. 

Weathered with Vallejo acrylics air brushed as well as Mig enamel washes and powders. 

2E7E82A7-540D-4977-838B-772519B814A2.jpeg

708596E7-D546-4C4B-BEBD-F07350EB94A5.jpeg

931917BA-560B-4068-8F18-E3818C0EC384.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Ian, the Flangeway Mermaid's weather up nicely with a bit of effort. In addition to a similar technique to what you have done, I added ballast dust secured in place with varnish on mine which I think enhances the appearance. 

927274515_Furthercoachrenumbering007.JPG.1048a485a0ee7239027e1ccc53d13571.JPG

Mermaids at Ardlui, mid 1980's. With their side tipping capability only they seems a strange choice for the single track WHL! 

d_Ardlui_Ballast_wagons_in_yard

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, young37215 said:

With their side tipping capability only they seems a strange choice for the single track WHL! 

Probably because the proliferation of tighter curves means the ballast shoulders need plenty of maintenance. Note the sealions, seacows etc all have side chutes, as well as centre ones, as that’s where most ballast wears away from weathering and vibration from trains. So for maintenance rather than relaying where the bigger Seacows are more flexible they are ideal I guess. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2