Possible US small (it started out very small but is turning into medium size) HO project

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, yeah, we all fall for that one/try & kid ourselves - "I'll only need a couple of locos" ;) :jester:

Two (maybe 3) for the shortline. two, (maybe 4) for the Class 2 road and one (maybe 2) for the passenger. 9 in total - phew!

So far I have one loco for the Class 2 (GP40-2) with another awaiting the ransom note customs bill from Parcelforce and 1 passenger (F59PHI)

One thing to consider is how you plan to work your fiddle yards, if there's going to be a lot of lifting of stock, your going to have to train your crew's where/how to pick them up, lots of small parts to break off!

one of the reasons I use blue box, roundhouse, trainman freight cars, they don't have the detail, as your intermountain etc, but I don't have a box of small parts after an exhibition, at viewing distance 3-4ft they look ok,( well to me they do!!)

Ray

It's bad enough with UK models with added details. I have a few bits from Bachmann 66s and 37s that find their way into the bottom of stock boxes at exhibitions,

Blackmill had a lot of stock handling as locos had to be swappped in the dead end fiddle yards,New Bryford suffers a lot less as the locos often stay on the track all weekend with it being a roundy-roundy.

I have a couple of the Peco loco lifts that will be employed that will minimise direct handling of the loco.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

One reason why I havent replaced my detailed blue box Athearn locos. All the details have been added but its still the original metal Athearn handrails which are robust despite being a bit crude.

post-1557-0-76901700-1519909848.jpg

post-1557-0-18596900-1519909916.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Those old Athearn blue box models formed the basis of plenty of first class models. With a lot of work they could be made very presentable, the idea of a painted shell and RTR mechanism "semi-kit" is a good one if people want to promote people having a go at modelling things.

Agree with all of the above!

I could not believe, back in about 1990, that I could buy a new Athearn switcher (shunter!) for a bit over twenty quid that I could detail up as much as I liked, fettle and have running virtually as well as a Roco model costing about four times as much. Hornby/Lima were priced higher than Athearn but much lower quality wrt drive train.

But, still, the best thing about US outline for me, is the ability to use Kadee couplers without the interference of pesky buffers!

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Two days rostered off, so I've been studying more US rail videos and trying to find out about the rail history in Florida.

Current thinking is to do an interchange between Florida East Coast coming from the Titusville direction (or CSX from the west) and a shortline running into the outer areas around Sanford/Orlando,

The passenger service is a east-west cross the Greater Orlando area as a separate entity from the north-south SunRail operation, towards Lakeland, hence the Lakes Express.

Township names on and around the intended route/area are Chuluota, Bithlo, Wewahotee, Lake Hart, Union Park and Wedgefield.

Although this is in CA, I love the condition of this GP9 with patch painting - see 5.11 and 5.35

Cheers,

MIck

• Like 1

Anybody know where I can get a CF7 in the UK?

I know there's a few variants, but Rule 1 applies.

Cheers,

Mick

I just had a quick look at the Model Junction (Slough) website. I haven't looked at the prices of HO locos for a while, an-  HOW MUCH...??!!??  :scared:  :fool:  :shout:

Feel much better about my O Scale, now!!!  :angel:

Oh and they didn't have any CF7s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I just had a quick look at the Model Junction (Slough) website. I haven't looked at the prices of HO locos for a while, an-  HOW MUCH...??!!??  :scared:  :fool:  :shout:

Feel much better about my O Scale, now!!!  :angel:

Oh and they didn't have any CF7s.

McLaren Models in Falkirk don't have any either.

I'm not in any rush and something else may catch my eye in the meantime.

Cheers,

Mick

I have a couple of the Peco loco lifts that will be employed that will minimise direct handling of the loco.

Cheers,

Mick

These flimsy looking bits of plastic and foam are an absolute must when handling anything delicate.

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Premium

Stop it, stop it, stop it.

Blue is the colour............ (closet MCFC fan and living in sight of BRFC training ground)

I'm looking to recreate something like this careworn look:

post-408-0-93922100-1520202756_thumb.jpg

on a GP7 thro' GP38/xx-preGP40/CF7 or maybe a B-series GE...

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3