UK's last mixed standard and narrow gauge? Welshpool cattle docks.

Andy Y

On 26/02/2018 at 22:43, pete_mcfarlane said:

And the Londonderry Harbour commissioners, - there's a really good article on this in the February issue of Railway Bylines, including their 5'3" locos shunting 3' gauge wagons. 

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

And the Londonderry Harbour commissioners, - there's a really good article on this in the February issue of Railway Bylines, including their 5'3" locos shunting 3' gauge wagons. 

Not UK but it was formerly, the Guinness brewery in Dublin which had mixed gauges (1' 10" & 5' 3") and used Irish gauge cradles/adaptors so that the NG shunters could move full size stock

Guinness_17.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 04/03/2021 at 19:40, travelbugs said:

Hello people

I am researching the possibility of a railway transfer dock at Shrewbury station, the cattle market was near by from 1850 till 1959, and it was a very large market. i have heard of a ramp from the road to the station for cattle, but the person only heard of it from another, known to them but no photos or drawing. Does anyone here have any info or know where i might best look for it?

on the map i have added some shapes, the brown one is the station building and CP, the red one the signal box, the green one as some building now but maybe,  And the blue i wonder if a possible but it as a high wall along here, 

Also over the other side oppersite the green shape there used to be siding and i wonder if that may have been a option. I am making this up as i go and clearly need help from those of you who have more idea them me!! 

1212378718_Screenshot2021-03-04at19_30_31.png.d2dc0b9710bfca957515e0b3184546f5.png 

There are several maps of the area on the NLS website.

This one: https://maps.nls.uk/view/121150019

seems to show a ramp down to street level from the station.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...