At last some new 33s

owentherail

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

Given the two panels under the radiator looked printed,  I think you are right. 

Roy

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

Yep air horn covers are not removed and an overly etched radiator grill.

• RMweb Gold

And they are not weathered...

:rolleyes:

Sultan looks a bit more interesting now...

Definitely looks like the new tooling, the bufferbeams, buffers & steps are the newer version.

ive ordered one, lets see what arrives.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Willoughby Glen said:

Is the main bodyside grille supposed to be painted black instead of blue on 33025?  Cant find any photos online to show it in this condition and on the Gaugemaster version they painted it blue, yet the photos for the new one show it painted black!!

No, and if the photo I have just seen is really of a production sample, I won't be buying one as it looks so wrong.

Roy

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

No, and if the photo I have just seen is really of a production sample, I won't be buying one as it looks so wrong.

Roy

Not Hattons I presume - unfortunately they've used a photo of the weathered Gaugemaster version...

I have just received one each of the new Eastleigh & Sultan (can confirm black grilles on both). I have found an unusual running problem with Sultan. On 3rd radius curves, no problem. On second radius curves, no problem in either direction when the loco is facing one way, but when turned, consistently de-rails when entering the curve in either direction. The problem happens when the speedometer cable is on the outside of the curve. I can't be sure, but I think it might be the top of the speedo cable preventing sufficient bogie travel. But yet Eastleigh, with identical bogies, has no problems at all. Could this just be a manufacturing tolerance thing? Any advice gratefully received before I have to return it.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, stevewright22 said:

I have just received one each of the new Eastleigh & Sultan (can confirm black grilles on both).

Well, that is it for me then. I am getting fed up with livery errors (from many manufacturers) and quite frankly I feel that we, the customer, are now almost being treated with contempt. 

Yes, many are simple fixes, but I have decided I am now going to vote with my wallet. Only that way will manufacturers get the message. 

Roy

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Well, that is it for me then. I am getting fed up with livery errors (from many manufacturers) and quite frankly I feel that we, the customer, are now almost being treated with contempt. 

Yes, many are simple fixes, but I have decided I am now going to vote with my wallet. Only that way will manufacturers get the message. 

Roy

I agree. There are times when I think Heljan may have turned the corner and at last are getting things right. Then absolutely ridiculous stuff happen like these black grills and I just shake my head and say  “For *profanity* sake, what the eck is wrong with them?” In this day and age we have a wealth of images at our fingertips. Just 30 seconds of research shows they don’t have black grills. If it’s a factory error, this should not be happening. They should have colours of body parts in fine detail.  It’s not hard to get it right but Heljan (and they really are not alone on this as others mess up regularly as well) seem to struggle with this. It’s just Lazy and sloppy to be getting things so wrong in this day and age. 
I’ve somehow missed this thread over the last few days. Reading that Eastleigh and Sultan were the new tooling got me all excited for all of 30 seconds until I read on about the error. Another couple of sales needlessly down the drain AGAIN Heljan! 
 I just wish the new boys in town (Accurascale and Cavalex) modelled all my wants and needs as they seem to give a *profanity*.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I have decided I am now going to vote with my wallet. Only that way will manufacturers get the message.

I only wish it were that simple, Roy. Unfortunately, your lost sale is likely to go either to someone less discerning or unnoticed. And if it is noticed, likely falsely attributed. 

In the event of simple-to-fix errors I’m therefore tempted to just fix them myself. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, truffy said:

I only wish it were that simple, Roy. Unfortunately, your lost sale is likely to go either to someone less discerning or unnoticed. And if it is noticed, likely falsely attributed. 

In the event of simple-to-fix errors I’m therefore tempted to just fix them myself. 

Yes, I know you are probably right, but I am sick the hind teeth of this. As 66738 said, it is very simple for checks to be made these days, and to have got the "Railroad" version for Gaugemaster right, and to then get this wrong is unforgiveable. I was looking forward to this, but hey ho.

It is such shoddy oversight that has led to me not pre-ordering Heljan models these days.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/09/2020 at 17:48, Willoughby Glen said:

Is the main bodyside grille supposed to be painted black instead of blue on 33025?  Cant find any photos online to show it in this condition and on the Gaugemaster version they painted it blue, yet the photos for the new one show it painted black!!

33025 "Sultan" Liverpool St

(flickr link).

its not blue here, though the Heljan images look a little to raised / edged. I may tone them down a little.

This image too, its clearly darkened by weather... its the same colour as the roof grilles, which 100% arent blue or white...

http://www.class33crompton.co.uk/images/33-33025-1986-08-08-BristolTM-c.jpg

i think the issue isnt the colour, its the lack of depth.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

(flickr link).

its not blue here, though the Heljan images look a little to raised / edged. I may tone them down a little.

This image too, its clearly darkened by weather... its the same colour as the roof grilles, which 100% arent blue or white...

http://www.class33crompton.co.uk/images/33-33025-1986-08-08-BristolTM-c.jpg

i think the issue isnt the colour, its the lack of depth.

The frame is blue, the Heljan one has a black frame, different to all other Blue 33s they have done.

Roy

31 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Yes, I know you are probably right, but I am sick the hind teeth of this. As 66738 said, it is very simple for checks to be made these days, and to have got the "Railroad" version for Gaugemaster right, and to then get this wrong is unforgiveable. I was looking forward to this, but hey ho.

It is such shoddy oversight that has led to me not pre-ordering Heljan models these days.

Roy

I was in the same boat and Heljan lost 2 sales from me for their so-called new or updated tooling Class 33.

I really wanted the Preserved D6515 but rejected it due to the colour being incorrect, the cab ends & body stripe are cream & not white!...but hey they still sold out apparently as people still purchased it knowing it had a major livery colour error.

The other one was the WCRC with its incorrect cab end tooling, but it was new-tooled right?, so I rejected that one as well but again probably sold out anyway so no need for Heljan to correct another glaring error.

But if you look at this thread since the latest Class 33 was released there are countless posts highlighting errors etc. throughout the range but not once have I seen anyone from Heljan come on here and provide a statement of sorts considering they apparently have a presence in RMWeb and I've seen very little interaction even in other Heljan threads I'm following especially those for new forthcoming products.

With Accurascale, Revolution, Cavalex and even Dapol producing outstanding products its simple really as previously stated I'll vote with my wallet and if you make avoidable errors that can't be corrected easily then I simply will not buy it no matter how much I want it.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

The frame is blue, the Heljan one has a black frame, different to all other Blue 33s they have done.

Roy

you mean the grill frame, not the running frame (that is blue and is supposed to be) as per 33025.

i’ll have a look at mine when it arrives and post a close up picture.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, adb968008 said:

you mean the grill frame, not the running frame (that is blue and is supposed to be) as per 33025.

i’ll have a look at mine when it arrives and post a close up picture.

The outer frame for the grill and the horizontal bar - which are blue on the Gaugemaster* model,  but seemingly black on the full-fat model. See this as an example: 

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/39237/Heljan-3441-oo-gauge-class-33-025-sultan-br-blue-fye-light-grey-roof-diesel-locomotive

It is wrong, plain and simple.

Roy

* an image of which seems to be used by many sites for the full-fat model.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I was in the same boat and Heljan lost 2 sales from me for their so-called new or updated tooling Class 33.

I really wanted the Preserved D6515 but rejected it due to the colour being incorrect, the cab ends & body stripe are cream & not white!...but hey they still sold out apparently as people still purchased it knowing it had a major livery colour error.

It was consistent with both Lima and all prior Heljan class 33 releases in BR Green.

it will be a long frustrating life if you cant accept trivial errors, nothing is ever flawless, not even model railways.

wise old man once say..

When one dog barks at a shadow, a hundred bark at the sound.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

The outer frame for the grill and the horizontal bar - which are blue on the Gaugemaster* model,  but seemingly black on the full-fat model. See this as an example: 

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/39237/Heljan-3441-oo-gauge-class-33-025-sultan-br-blue-fye-light-grey-roof-diesel-locomotive

It is wrong, plain and simple.

Roy

* an image of which seems to be used by many sites for the full-fat model.

Thanks, it looks like its standing a little standing proud too.

gives me something to do.

its no harder than adding yellow to black headlamp brackets on earlier releases, or yellow to silver handrails on recent class 27’s.

Sultan was a regular around Bristol in the summers of 85-87 as I recall seeing it many times on Portsmouth trains.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, adb968008 said:

Thanks, it looks like its standing a little standing proud too.

gives me something to do.

its no harder than adding yellow to black headlamp brackets on earlier releases, or yellow to silver handrails on recent class 27’s.

As I said, I could fix it, but I am not going to. Heljan have no incentive to get it right if that is all we do. This is one that I will not purchase. As a Southern modeller I know I may be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but that is how I now feel. There are plenty of other models (2 HAP for example) that I can spend my money on.

And, yes, it is standing very proud which is, again, a backwards step (along with printed panels)

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

As I said, I could fix it, but I am not going to. Heljan have no incentive to get it right if that is all we do. This is one that I will not purchase. As a Southern modeller I know I may be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but that is how I now feel. There are plenty of other models (2 HAP for example) that I can spend my money on.

And, yes, it is standing very proud which is, again, a backwards step (along with printed panels)

Roy

True, but fixing it is easier, than recreating it.

Not too many 33/0’s in blue released on the new tooling... only 2, one of which was 7 years back, Ive never seen one come up on ebay.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

It was consistent with both Lima and all prior Heljan class 33 releases in BR Green.

it will be a long frustrating life if you cant accept trivial errors, nothing is ever flawless, not even model railways.

wise old man once say..

When one dog barks at a shadow, a hundred bark at the sound.

Yes agree there will always be errors of some degree but currently with pre-production, production tech as well as awareness provided by social media & access to prototypes it really needs to be kept to an absolute minimum.

I feel Heljan need to do much better with their products and the errors I highlighted weren't trivial as they are related to actual tooling and colour inaccuracies, for the Preserved D6515 which Heljan modeled specifically, the wrong colour to me is unforgivable considering it runs on the mainline and there are a thousand photos of it to analyse.

Edited by classy52

16 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

Goodness Roy - your hard to please.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

True, but fixing it is easier, than recreating it.

Not too many 33/0’s in blue released on the new tooling... only 2, one of which was 7 years back, Ive never seen one come up on ebay.

Careful with the words new tooling there. The one 7 years ago is not the new tooling.

Recently in banger blue we have had at least 33012 (weathered), 33059, 6544, D6558 (weathered).

Roy

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Goodness Roy - your hard to please.

Why? It is not too much to get the livery to match both the other 33s they have released and the prototype?

Stop giving them an excuse to churn out incorrect models.

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

I don't get what grille(s) is (are) the problem? - is it the one(s) above the cantrail?

Toning down with clag and  filth - powders - airbrush shouldn't be too difficult unless yours is stored in a glass case?

Ian

No, the main radiator grill on the side. It has a black frame when it should be blue. It almost looks like they didn't paint the moulding and just stuck it on after.

Roy