RMweb

Which older RTR models do you still admire?

Regardless of its opposite-of-finescale detail and accuracy, the Wrenn A4 holds a special place for me. Perhaps it's just the echoes of my eight-year-old self (my father purchased it new in about 1977), but Peregrine in wartime black is built like a brick privy and has a presence that to me isn't matched in any other model loco I've seen running. When I had the chance to help restore it to running condition last year, I jumped at it.

[Edit: I notice Chris (Sandhole) also uses the term 'presence'. I think it's an appropriate term - I have plenty of reasonably detailed locos, but none come rumbling down the track in the same way this one does]

20160619_105127_resized.jpg?raw=1

Edited by Skippy
  • Like 2

The old Triang bogie well wagon!  You can still find dusty forgotten examples rotting away in the bottom of frayed cardboard boxes at most shows for a few pounds and with a little work they still look good...

Is it actually a model of an identifiable prototype, and if so would you care to divulge?

I still have one in fully original condition, although the sparking Conqueror tank load was long ago shot to pieces by anti-tank airgun fire during my teenage wargaming phase. (Throwing dice, pah! Actual projectiles are what you want.)

At present this wagon serves a very useful purpose as the test drag standard for class 3 steam traction: an LNER chair screw (found on the old Luton and Dunstable very close to my present home) sits neatly and stably on it to provide the load. I will have to make alternative arrangements using the discarded bogies if this old trouper can be made into a model.

Most early N gauge was horrible. It’s only in recent years that acceptable models have become the norm. My nomination for a decent N gauge model from earlier years is the GWR railcar.

The Minitrix Class 47 and HAA still stand up well, and ditto the Lima CCT. I never owned one, but the Peco Jubilee also has its fans.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Mainline J72 so far. Mine was modified 30-odd years ago to represent a Midland 1F.

Apart from in the first post. ;)

Now that Wizard are re-releasing the Mainly Trains parts I intend to detail one and convert another into a J71. That's if those kits reappear.

Jason

Hornby at one time made a LBSCR brake van.

The basic shape was very good if rather lacking in the refinement found in more modern offerings.

For the period, when many Hornby wagons were rather dire, it was excellent and still looks OK on a passing train.

Bernard

Hornby at one time made a LBSCR brake van.

The basic shape was very good if rather lacking in the refinement found in more modern offerings.

For the period, when many Hornby wagons were rather dire, it was excellent and still looks OK on a passing train.

Bernard

Still available.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/250918/Hornby_R6802_10_ton_brake_van_55891_in_Southern_Railway_brown/StockDetail.aspx

Jason

There’s some stretching of the forty year boundary going on here ...... do the ‘rules’ relate to when the model was first introduced, or last produced?

My devious reasons for asking will become clear when I post a photo of the real Hornby L1, which was introduced around the same time as the Hornby A4 .......

I vote for the Hornby-Dublo E.M.U. The one axle drive tin plate flyer of dubious parentage. I had two units which I bolstered out to four car units and I ran them on the club layout together. Much under breath muttering from those members running a kettle and five or perhaps six coaches, as my train thundered around at breakneck speeds. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice work.  I'm working on a few of these myself (well, actually 13 I think).  Need to get order in for a batch of Fox transfers.  I might not go to the expense of the brasswork though, that would breach my "Tightwad" principles.

• RMweb Premium

Mainline bogie bolster A and C, Conflat, 1 plank, 3 plank, and some of the vans.

A lot of Mainline rolling stock holds it's own.  I know the chassis look a bit chunky and crude now but the bodies are nicely done, unlike some by other contemporary manufacturers - mineral wagons with side doors on the outside but not on the inside! - and some of the PO liveries were superb.  I remember when you could buy these Mainline wagons new for......£1.25.

<Sigh>

• RMweb Premium

Is it actually a model of an identifiable prototype, and if so would you care to divulge?

I still have one in fully original condition, although the sparking Conqueror tank load was long ago shot to pieces by anti-tank airgun fire during my teenage wargaming phase. (Throwing dice, pah! Actual projectiles are what you want.)

At present this wagon serves a very useful purpose as the test drag standard for class 3 steam traction: an LNER chair screw (found on the old Luton and Dunstable very close to my present home) sits neatly and stably on it to provide the load. I will have to make alternative arrangements using the discarded bogies if this old trouper can be made into a model.

The Triang bogie well wagon I believe is loosely based on a prototype but which one I am unsure.  To bring mine up to spec I removed the old dust and grease accumulating bogies and replaced them with Cambrian ones, bolted through the existing holes with the holes on the top filled and filed before a repaint.

I'm always amused that Henry Greenly's Model Engineering contains construction details for a number of working model artillery pieces which, if constructed today, would have kevlar plated policemen with submachine guns coming through your front door at 6am :D.

I have one on my main layout.  I got it because I want to concentrate more on the central sector of SR.  The only (relatively minor) bad thing about it is there are no NEM pockets on it, so you have to muck around a little bit to fit Kadees (or less intrusive tension locks if that is your preference).

A lot of Mainline rolling stock holds it's own. I know the chassis look a bit chunky and crude now but the bodies are nicely done, unlike some by other contemporary manufacturers - mineral wagons with side doors on the outside but not on the inside! - and some of the PO liveries were superb. I remember when you could buy these Mainline wagons new for......£1.25.

<Sigh>

You make it sound like hundreds of years ago ! I am only 55 and remember them comeing out! It's not that long ago.....or doesn't feel like it.

By the way a pint of beer was 43p in 1978. So that's three pints to a wagon ! And now it's still around three pints to a four wheel wagon at full RRP so theirs no need to Sigh! Especially if you shop around and only pay two and a half pints!

Edited by Graham456
  • Like 1

It's based on something LMS I think (approximatly like most Tri-ang stock of the era). The very first Tri-ang (ex Trackmaster) wagons - the van and open/coal wagon - are actually quite reasonable vehicles.

The Wrenn Class 20 has Dublo origins (as does most of their range) and the Dublo EMU is based on the LMR Watford line units (class 501), but they gave it SR numbers (There was a Southern mania at the time and it saved fitting bars across the droplights.)

I vote for the Hornby-Dublo E.M.U. The one axle drive tin plate flyer of dubious parentage. I had two units which I bolstered out to four car units and I ran them on the club layout together. Much under breath muttering from those members running a kettle and five or perhaps six coaches, as my train thundered around at breakneck speeds. 

The Doublo Watford unit definitely stands up.

Mine still does duty when Manchester Oldham Rd changes to Southern territory.

One thing to be aware of, if you remagnetise with a super magnet, you will magnetise the body to the chassis!!!! Don't do much for going round corners!!!

Until the arrival of the Heljan one, I ran Dublo Co-Bos as a pair. Still do on occaision  As a pair, 'Collars and Cuffs' apply.

Chris.                                        

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mainline's Manor and 56/66xx - when I had both in the mid-1980s, I thought there was nothing on the market that could touch them; they just had that look. The 56/66xx wheels in particular were really well done.

I was looking at a Manor just the other day, and it is amazing how well it stands up to more modern models.

I was looking at a Manor just the other day, and it is amazing how well it stands up to more modern models.

The only flaw it had - which I wasn't aware of at the time - was that the firebox was allegedly a bit fat to accommodate Mainline's (in)famous pod motor. The drivetrain was actually quite smooth (all spur gears) and I generally didn't experience any problems with it.

Most early N gauge was horrible. It’s only in recent years that acceptable models have become the norm. My nomination for a decent N gauge model from earlier years is the GWR railcar.

I don't think the Lima BR Mk1 CCT was too bad - I've got a few and the only change has been to replace the old pizza-cutter wheels with modern, low profile items. I've also used a few Lima Siphon G bodies with Dapol Siphon G frames.

You make it sound like hundreds of years ago ! I am only 55 and remember them comeing out! It's not that long ago.....or doesn't feel like it.

By the way a pint of beer was 43p in 1978. So that's three pints to a wagon ! And now it's still around three pints to a four wheel wagon at full RRP so theirs no need to Sigh! Especially if you shop around and only pay two and a half pints!

Cue Mainline 'Consumer Price Guide circa 1981....

Mainline RRP.pdf