Which older RTR models do you still admire?

• RMweb Premium

Lima HST ,20, 37,40, 47, 101 , 156 , mk3s I still run them and they are absolutely fine if noisy!

I have a soft spot for the big Hornby 9F

In terms of coaches the Airfix 2d was superb model back in 1977 and I think holds its own today. Similarly Stanier coaches and Mainlines Period 2 LMS stock. For wagons , the original Mainline tankers look good to me.

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Premium

I'd agree with lots of the above, especially the Lima HST which always looked "right", even more so with a bit of work.  Despite their age most of the Lima range was reasonably good and can still be made into models that stand alongside more modern ones.  The 156 that someone mentioned is maybe stretching the point in that although the basic shell and shape is good, it does need a lot of work on the chassis to look realistic (I say this as someone who has 9 of them...).  Maybe a bit new but I do quite like the Lima 59, although the Dapol one looks like it'll knock the socks of it it is still a good model which benefits a bit of detailing.  

• RMweb Gold

Doing this 'clinic' project has made me appreciate several older models a lot more. My opinions were generally marred from the terrible quality ones I saw as a child (mostly Hornby) and the junk that turns up at so many toy fairs.

I've really enjoyed tarting up the old models. The airfix and mainline ones are especially good quality.

post-898-0-60569200-1522175293_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-68315400-1522175343_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-58045000-1522175669_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-45532000-1522175430_thumb.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Doing this 'clinic' project has made me appreciate several older models a lot more. My opinions were generally marred from the terrible quality ones I saw as a child (mostly Hornby) and the junk that turns up at so many toy fairs.

I've really enjoyed tarting up the old models. The airfix and mainline ones are especially good quality.

I like those a LOT, Corbs.  Just shows what can be done with cheapie secondhand, to create something unique.

The Airfix 31, 61xx and 4F were missing from my original list, in fact pretty much all the Airfix/Mainline range should be listed IMO.  The 31 is commonly criticised but from most angles it looks better than the Lima one (to me).

Two I forgot, Triang wagons!

The LNER design bogie brick wagon, which apart from horrors like the heat printing had a generally accurate body that scrubbed up well and with replacement diamond frame bogies and finescale wheelsets is a good model.

Then there is the twelve wheel Trestrol (has any other RTR OO twelve wheel wagon been produced?) which although slightly compromised by being a hybrid of Trestrols B and C (length of the riveted Trestrol B, construction style of the slightly longer welded Trestrol C) again can be made into something very good.

The bogie chlorine tanker for Murgatroyd (and ICI?) never came  my way, was it any good?

The oddity is that these rarities were done with a decent stab at accuracy, while the commonplace wagons were completely mangled in dimensions and constructional features so that they corresponded to no recognisable prototype...

Superquick building kits. As a child I had about 4 of the signal boxes and 2 goods sheds on my 6x4 tail chaser, plus a bunch of other things.

They changed the game for me because I suddenly had access to buildings which I could afford with a couple of weeks worth of pocket money.

• RMweb Gold

Another vote for the Lima Tooling of the late 1970s early 1980s.

The Class 31 body shell is better quality than anything released, and the class 47, 73 and HST, suitably repowered hold their own against more modern counterparts. I also am a fan of the class 40 bodyshell, with suitable fettling, new power plant and Shawplan bits are a good competition to the admittedly excellent Bachmann mk 2 tooling.

I also very much like the Hornby hymek tooling once the roof profile and scavenger grille are corrected. For a fifty year old tooling, they knew what they were doing, and at that age can be excused for their discrepancies. The Hornby class 25, especially the cab profile is much better than the Bachmann offering too.

Finally the mainline warship, only just retired from the Bachmann range, it is very accurate despite lacking see through grilles etc of the new Bachmann class 43 tooling.

Neil

Hi all,

Well for me it is any old Hornby Dublo or Wrenn engine. I especially love the  2-6-4 tanks, Castles and Class 20 diesels. I have multiple examples of each engine, They all run as smooth now as they did when new. Ok they may not be the most detailed engines in the world but they just do it for me. Some have mentioned the Mainline STD class 4, Which is a lovely looking model, But I have never had one where the wheels actually stayed quartered. Prompting replacement with the later Bachmann  chassis. Which of course has it's own issues with wheel warping.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The old Triang bogie well wagon!  You can still find dusty forgotten examples rotting away in the bottom of frayed cardboard boxes at most shows for a few pounds and with a little work they still look good. 

post-6910-0-55761700-1522190991_thumb.jpg

I have a soft spot also for the old Lima 33, many of those I used to buy dirt cheap at shows and with some flushglaze, a Craftsman detailing kit and a decent coat of paint, it would be transformed within a few days.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1

I love this thread 'cos it preaches fro the soapbox I have been on on this place for a while.

I run a large number of 'old' models.

Hornby Doublo 8Fs, Light Pacifics and my Duchess, a tenth birthday present. I am 61.

All have been altered and detailed in some way, but as for look and, more importantly, 'Prescence', I love 'em to bits!!!

If you want to get even more 'Out There', I have a Knat 0-4-0 running. Crude? I don't think so, with some detail. My mate Mike ( Coachbogie) presented this beast to me after finding it at a swapmeet. I also have a Graham Farish Black5. 

This is now where we go into origionality. She has a rebuilt body and a scratch chassis but I consider her to be an old model.

I am of an age where all of the models in this thread have meaning for me.

Mainline 4MT.

When that appeared Wow!!!!

Mine had the valvegear rebuilt twice until a driving wheel shifted.

I still have her,thanks to   a chassis on Ebay.

Incidently, this was one of my firsy Crownline alterations.

Double chimney and a renumbering to 75027. One of the north west double chimney 4MTs with a small tender. The other Crownline job was a spark arresting  chimney on a Mainline Pannier with a renumbering job.

I'm on a roll now so I'll go onto Crownline.

They were a revelation when they appeared.

I get browned off with people saying they were c**p and crude. They might well be judged by todays, generally superb, standards, but, at that time they were a godsend!!

As well as the aformentioned locos, I have a rebuilt and unrebuilt Crosti 9Fs on tender drive models. They now, thanks to the guys of the Billingham layout, have Railroad loco powerdrives. An easy job. OK, the pipework is a little crude but they are my history and I love 'em!

The piece of resistance is an unrebuilt Scot . This is a piece of tube, a whitemetal firebox and some plastcard and wire on an Airfix Royal Scot.

Having rechassised Scots and a Hornby Patriot with Buhler motored chassis, I did the same with her.

Worked!!!

I had to do some work on the old body but she is still running.

Enough people have made the point about the Joueff 40. Game changer when it appeared.

What people must realise is that we are going through a 'Golden Age' in ready to run. Prices are now going up but that is expected.

Revel in this! Don't moan about the fact that one manufacturer hasn't made so and so that you saw on such and such in 19 whatever.

Get out there folks.

Lets get modelling.

Lets also not lose sight of older models which are, with some of that modelling, a genuine alternative to the modern examples.

Hats off to 'Corbs' of this parish. He is somebody else on my soapbox!!!

Chris.

• Like 4