Bachmann 2 EPB

Summer_Saturday

I am going to order a decoder for mine soon enough so I'll post up if I have any strange goings on with my Green one.

I was thinking this morning, are there any plans for Bachmann to do a Tyneside version of the 2-EPB? It would surely have some interest for those who model the period when they were plodding around Tyneside, and then latterly something a little different for us Southern Region Modellers, I know they had an interesting Headcode display when they were first built consisting of five marker lights in what is the Headcode panel, and a destination display above that. Also Tyneside had their own version of the MLV as well.

A Tyneside EPB would be useful on my layout with its massive Guards Van.

Cheers,

~ Gary

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking this morning, are there any plans for Bachmann to do a Tyneside version of the 2-EPB? It would surely have some interest for those who model the period when they were plodding around Tyneside, and then latterly something a little different for us Southern Region Modellers, I know they had an interesting Headcode display when they were first built consisting of five marker lights in what is the Headcode panel, and a destination display above that. Also Tyneside had their own version of the MLV as well.

A Tyneside EPB would be useful on my layout with its massive Guards Van.

Cheers,

~ Gary

I really can't see this coming about as I very much doubt that they would sell enough of them to make it commercially viable, especially if people bought one when otherwise they would have bought a standard model.

If Bachmann are going to produce a variation on the 2EPB then I, for one, would far rather that were a 2HAP or a 4EPB.

Please do not misunderstand me I am all for a 2-HAP as well - it fits that perfect gap between the EPB & the CEP for semi-fast trains. However there are numerous alterations they would have to make in order to accomplish that least of all being the moulding for a DTC which could be shared with the Thumper DEMU currently under production. However the EPB Motor coach would need alterations to become a HAP Motor Coach.

I'd like a HAP as well, and a Thumper... infact anything. I just thought a Tyneside variation - might induce some more modelling of that area as well as a nice variation for us SR Modellers.

Cheers,

~ Gary

I am 1 happy bunny today, i was joking with Emma to sign up and buy a train

anyway behind my back she did and said i have a surprise for you ,

i was mmmm naughty nurse? a trip on a steam train somewhere or a new brand of tea?

no she got me another NSE 2EPB :yahoo_mini:

i was WOW thank you :heart_mini:

i am going to keep this 1 clean form Graffiti and have it weatherd in due course

some photos attached now i have No 133 and No 201

post-12937-0-30688700-1318254179_thumb.jpg

post-12937-0-25163600-1318254226_thumb.jpg

post-12937-0-46506300-1318254337_thumb.jpg

post-12937-0-63234100-1318254376_thumb.jpg

post-12937-0-32873800-1318254449_thumb.jpg

post-12937-0-48304300-1318254484_thumb.jpg

It is the downside to the Bachmann EMU's in that it does render them to be used in one direction only. It does look odd with the double reds coming towards you. Still, with the VEP and all its problems i'm quite happy for this to be the only downside!

The NSE ones are still appearing on ebay and going for around £200. One chap has got three for sale (better not call him a cheeky sod though :) )

The headcode is a nice touch, the two digits not being at the same level. Has anyone come up with a viable way of replacing headcodes on the EPBs yet?

Yes - but it's not "reversible", i.e. you can't change them back if you change your mind!

If you take the body off, on the reverse of the headcode you will find a black assembly with a pyramid lens inside. You need to very carefully pry away the protruding part of the black surround, i.e. the part that sticks out around the back of the lens. I pulled this out this by getting some pliers and firmly pulling away. It takes a bit of doing, but I have done this on three EPBs now and it worked OK each time. You can also pry away the black surround from the "open" corner of the assembly with a suitable instrument.

Once that's off, there should be (if you were lucky!) two 'pips' on the black surround that will allow you to re-attach it when finished. The lens will more or less drop out, revealing the back of the headcode.

The headcode is printed onto the back of the headcode glass and can't be removed with ordinary thinners - you need something nastier. I used Tamiya lacquer thinners on a cotton bud, that makes light work of the headcode, but don't put a lot on or it will seep out and ruin the paintwork on the front of the cab. Alternatively, you can push out the cab headcode and work on it outside the unit (a little pressure from the inside with a finger will do the trick!)

Once you have cleaned off the whole headcode with thinners, clean it up with a rag and you can then stick behind whatever you want. I made my own blanks on a desktop inkjet, cut them out, and painted the reverse of the non-printed bits with black paint to avoid show through.

Once dry, you can reassemble everything and wedge the new paper headcode in place with the lens. It all fits in pretty nicely.

I did ask Bachmann if they did spare printed headcode glasses as this would have been way way easier. Unfortunately they told me no.

If you want to change the LED colours so that the headcode reads red in reverse, this is possible too! There are two LEDs in each headcode, and in most models (but not all) they already alternate with the direction of the unit. So Rather than solder new tiny red SMD LEDS, I ended up putting tiny fragments of lighting gels over the top LED (The one that lights in reverse - I think!!) But any red see through stuff will work the trick, you might need a couple of layers of it if it's thin.

If you have one of the ones that lights up both headcode LEDs in both directions, then it is still possible to change it so that the LEDs alternate with direction, but then you're into a world of circuit board surgery! If anyone wants to do this let me know and I will describe how I changed the boards.

I've had my EPB out on DCC and not noticed anything strange really, the headcode lamps work correctly and it smoothly accelerates and decelerates perfectly. One oddity I have found which I can't seem to find elsewhere is that if I turn the lights off and select a different locomotive it gets 'jittery' moving on its own forwards in fits and starts - I am quite new to DCC so perhaps I am doing something wrong but considering it ran perfectly on DC power and the other locomotive I chipped at the same time following the same pattern is working perfectly I am coming to the conclusion its either the decoder or the EPB.

When it is 'jittery' the lights flash on & off and it will only respond to my commands if I can turn the lights on whilst it is moving in fits & starts - upon which it behaves itself perfectly. Also if it doesn't get jittery or I've parked it with the lights on upon reselecting the EPB on the controller the lights go off - is this normal?

Also (another edit) the EPB behaves perfectly if my Bachmann Mark I Pullman car with lights is on the layout and lit up - it goes absolutely ape if it is taken off whilst the power is on - could there be some sort of interference?

Any ideas?

~ Gary

<snip>

I am coming to the conclusion its either the decoder or the EPB.

<snip>

Not wanting to stir up an old barrel of vipers but... I'm guessing you left the capacitors in place? With some combinations of decoders / command systems a loco can behave pretty much exactly as you describe. Basically the capacitors garble the signal from the command system and the poor decoder freaks out, desperately trying to make sense of what it is being told to do. I has a very similar experience with a Bachmann Deltic and a TCS decoder; it wouldn't stop moving, change direction. I snipped out the caps and it instantly became silky smooth.

From what you've said I suspect it's not the decoder or the command system. If you want to snip just one leg of each cap and see how thing will behave that's your choice (but it will invalidate Bachmanns warranty).

When I started in DCC I was convinced it should work with the capacitors in place. The Deltic convinced me I was wrong.

Good Luck, with what ever you choose.

Luke

• 1 month later...

ThanksGary,

I see the box shifter in Liverpool are advertising 31-375 "with corrected running numbers" so it looks like some shells have arrived, it makes sense for the ones at the retailers to be changed first so here is hoping for some news soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched an NSE 2EPB sell for £124 on the usual site. Interesting to see that they have come down in price on there.

Have also noticed that the Bachmann page has removed the "One item per member" notice so if any of you are after a second one, looks like they're available now

• 1 month later...

Got my replacement bodies today for the blue model, well packaged as always.

This little exercise must be costing Bachmann a pretty penny just for the numbers being wrong, its a pity another manufacturer with a model that doesnt even come close to the standard of the EPB doesnt take note.

• RMweb Premium

Got my replacement bodies today for the blue model, well packaged as always.

This little exercise must be costing Bachmann a pretty penny just for the numbers being wrong, its a pity another manufacturer with a model that doesnt even come close to the standard of the EPB doesnt take note.

I've received mine too. Whatever it may be costing them, I'm sure Bachmann will get it back and more from the goodwill it generates.

I rang the service department regarding the replacement bodies. When I said that I had the receipt but that it wasn't itemised they hummed and hawed (my EPB came from the Hobby Shop in Faversham). I was a bit concerned that their originally-stated requirement for supplying the receipt didn't seem good enough if one had been rash enough to buy from a local authorised dealer who may not have itemised receipts (we don't all buy from box-shifters!).

In the end I offered to email them a picture of the item with the receipts which the guy agreed to accept on the basis that they are keeping records of who has been supplied with the new bodies. Lo and behold, the new bodies arrived today so in the end I have no complaints.

I should just say with reference to the mention of 'another manufacturer' above that my service from Hornby regarding any issues raised directly with them has always been impeccable too.

(Edited to update outcome)

I have been waiting for an "official" announcement on the Bachmann website but haven't yet seen anything. Maybe I should just send the itemised invoice/receipt from Hattons for my two units anyway.

• RMweb Gold

I rang the service department regarding the replacement bodies. When I said that I had the receipt but that it wasn't itemised they hummed and hawed (my EPB came from the Hobby Shop in Faversham). I was a bit concerned that their originally-stated requirement for supplying the receipt didn't seem good enough if one had been rash enough to buy from a local authorised dealer who may not have itemised receipts (we don't all buy from box-shifters!).

In the end I offered to email them a picture of the item with the receipts which the guy agreed to accept on the basis that they are keeping records of who has been supplied with the new bodies. Lo and behold, the new bodies arrived today so in the end I have no complaints.

I should just say with reference to the mention of 'another manufacturer' above that my service from Hornby regarding any issues raised directly with them has always been impeccable too.

(Edited to update outcome)

I got Harvey to print me off a separate itemised invoice/receipt for this item so suppose I should get off my rear-end and mail it off to Bachmann for the replacement bodies.....

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I have been waiting for an "official" announcement on the Bachmann website but haven't yet seen anything. Maybe I should just send the itemised invoice/receipt from Hattons for my two units anyway.

That's what I did, when I got my email from Hattons saying the replacement bodies would only be available from Bachmann. This was around the same time Hattons updated its website to say it had correctly numbered units in stock. Bachmann did not respond at the time, but my replacement bodies arrived earlier this week.

Archived