Bachmann 2 EPB

Summer_Saturday

• RMweb Premium

Came home just now after a particularly chaotic, wet and windswept day to find mine waiting for me: :sungum:

post-6910-0-01521800-1315325024_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-81495600-1315325043_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-39144300-1315325060.jpg

post-6910-0-07480200-1315325081_thumb.jpg

Probably the prettiest thing I have seen today and the NSE VEP from Hornby is maybe less than a week away as well!!! :danced:

Not sure whether they send them out in numerical order (they probably don't) but if they do they must have sold a few as mine is number 252.

It does look a beauty and i'm glad it's got a headcode number as opposed to white blanks.

For reference, headcode 80 can be:

Charing Cross - Dartford via Greenwich

Victoria - Sevenoaks via Herne Hill and Bat & Ball

Strood - Dover Priory or Dover Western Docks

Portsmouth Harbour - Waterloo via Botley

Though only the top would have been EPB diagrammed.

What, if any error messages are you getting? I've just been on the Bachmann site and everything seems to be working! Btw i'm using Safari.

Im all sorted now, but only by using another PC!

All signed up and NSE EPB ordered - one very happy camper. The photos of it look truly superb.

p.s. I was just getting a plain white screen/not loading next page, after filling out initial page. Tried all sorts - MAY just have been my PC at fault I suppose.

Im all sorted now, but only by using another PC!

All signed up and NSE EPB ordered - one very happy camper. The photos of it look truly superb.

p.s. I was just getting a plain white screen/not loading next page, after filling out initial page. Tried all sorts - MAY just have been my PC at fault I suppose.

I had the same problem with Chrome, switched to Firefox and went through fine.

Mine arrived but doesn't say what number it is. Is it on a separate certificate, have I missed something?

Cheers

Tom

I initially thought the certificate was missing, look at the back of the box for a piece of paper, because it was face down I initially thought it was part of the packaging, turning it over revealed the certificate :)

• RMweb Premium

Not only was the certificate numbered but the same number also appeared written on the outer card box it was packed in (which in turn lurked inside a DHL plastic baggy)

• RMweb Premium

As with all headcodes the use and meaning varied over the years. 80 now means Waterloo - Portsmouth Harbour via Botley and the others listed by Kintbury John above but used to mean

Waterloo - Portsmouth Harbour via Worplesdon semi-fast but must stop at Havant or

Victoria - Streatham Common - Purley - Caterham or

Charing Cross - Greenwich - Dartford or

Victoria - Swanley or Sevenoaks via Herne Hill or

Strood - Dover Priory via Selling

All of the above except the first might reasonably have seen a NSE 2EPB at some time though the second and third are the most likely in daily service.

John Upton's superb illustrations also show why many of us still prefer 2-character headcode blinds (or stencil plates) to modern electronic destinations - they can actually be read!!!

Victoria - Swanley or Sevenoaks via Herne Hill or

This route had a headcode, but it was hardly ever used.

The Victoria/Holborn - Herne Hill/Catford - Bromley South - Swanley/Sevenoaks/Orpington routes had headcodes 60-63, 70-73 & 80-83 allocated to them (plus 23/24 for trains starting & terminating between Beckenham Junction and Bickley), thus:

even numbers for Victoria, odd numbers for Blackfriars & Holborn Viaduct;

6x for Swanley, 7x for Orpington and 8x for Sevenoaks (via Swanley - no separate codes for Sevenoaks via Orpingtion)

x0 and x1 via Herne Hill, x2 and x3 via Catford.

Normal routes were 70 and 71*, 83, 63 (* rush-hour only).

Occasionally, route 73 was run at weekends. However, trains from/to or via Swanley almost never ran via Herne Hill, except on diversion (engineering works etc).

Thus headcode 80 would have been quite a rarity on these lines.

An even rarer working I once picked up was from Orpington to Victoria via the Mid-Kent line (i.e. via Beckenham Junction, Catford Bridge, Lewisham & Nunhead), Quite a few passengers on that train were quite puzzled by this circuitous route.

These routes were usually worked by 4EPBs, alone or in pairs. Platforms were too short for 10 or 12 coach trains. 2EPBs were thus normally not on the menu, but the interchangable nature of Southern Region stock meant that 2EPBs did sometimes find themselves working on these routes, in 6 or 8 coach formations (never alone). On rare occasions, 4CEPs could be pressed into lowly commuter service, in pairs or with EPBs.

Well I'm another one thats added to the ranks of the Bachmann club to buy the EPB.. Which will make 3 EPB I own now.. Just can't resist the toothpaste livery and the certificate signed by the men themselves Chris & John , Nice touch Bachmann ;)

Mine arrived yesterday, well worth joining up for! Question is, do I keep my blue/grey one, ordered as I didn't think an NSE one was coming, or sell it on... :scratchhead:

You could do a transition layout. That version of blue and grey lasted quite a while in London. In fact the last B&G train I got on was a Bulleid 4EPB from Plumstead to London Bridge. Felt a bit out of place, especially as everything else in the station at the time was in Toothpaste...

I still remember those lovely comfy seats.

Mine arrived yesterday, well worth joining up for! Question is, do I keep my blue/grey one, ordered as I didn't think an NSE one was coming, or sell it on... :scratchhead:

Keep both and run them in multiple. Kadee or Bachmann EZ-mate couplings work well for the inter-unit couplings.

• RMweb Gold

It takes ages to repaint a rolling stock fleet. From the NSE launch, in Summer 1986, to the demise of the last blue-grey unit was several years. They will look entirely authentic together.

• RMweb Premium

It takes ages to repaint a rolling stock fleet. From the NSE launch, in Summer 1986, to the demise of the last blue-grey unit was several years. They will look entirely authentic together.

As far as the BR 2-EPBs allocated to Slade Green for Kent services were concerned, the last units in traffic (6213 and 6259 IIRC) were still Blue/Grey not NSE.

As far as the BR 2-EPBs allocated to Slade Green for Kent services were concerned, the last units in traffic (6213 and 6259 IIRC) were still Blue/Grey not NSE.

As I understand it, these units were not repainted on mass as they were to be replaced by new stock, just a few were done to ensure the new Network SouthEast image could be seen across the network

• RMweb Premium

First NSE one has now appeared on Ebay :nono: Seems to be sold by SMC who are the former Southampton Model Centre and who I still would not touch with a forty metre cattle prod.

£140 notes starting price...

First NSE one has now appeared on Ebay :nono: Seems to be sold by SMC who are the former Southampton Model Centre and who I still would not touch with a forty metre cattle prod.

£140 notes starting price...

With a listing fee of £1.30, final auction fee of £14 and a reasonable guess of 3% paypal fees (£4.20), that's an overall profit of around £4. Makes you wonder whether it's really worth it.

Though I guess it may go for more...

I initially thought the certificate was missing, look at the back of the box for a piece of paper, because it was face down I initially thought it was part of the packaging, turning it over revealed the certificate :)

Thanks,

Found it now :-)

Archived