Running issues

• RMweb Gold

In my experience the main difference between a toy train set and a model railway is the difference of opinion betwixt the layout operator and the layout observer. One man’s meat is another man’s poison as they say.

My layout could never ever be classed as a model railway being sparsely scenic, totally inaccurate in many ways, but spot on for running what I want and how I want it for now. Others would be horrified by it.

Rob

But you don’t seek to exhibit it, so it doesnae matter.

In my experience the main difference between a toy train set and a model railway is the difference of opinion betwixt the layout operator and the layout observer. One man’s meat is another man’s poison as they say.

My layout could never ever be classed as a model railway being sparsely scenic, totally inaccurate in many ways, but spot on for running what I want and how I want it for now. Others would be horrified by it.

Rob

I'm with you on that! It's my house, my railway and I will do what I like (I have my wife's permission to say that!) For me it is all about running the trains I remember as a lad, sitting there watching them go round and enjoying them. Oh, and I see the difference between a model railway and a toy train set as when your mum said to clear up your train set you had to dismantle it from her dining room table!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This could run forever. I think the problems here are.

1. The OP clearly has no idea how DCC works (or doesn't work). "Two wires",shutting down of layout (not necessary if one employs sections), sound on/off. Nor,it would appear, has he any desire to understand it and is unaware of the much more realistic operation that DCC can provide. Fine, if that's what you want.

2. From my experience many people operating DCC layouts do not fully understand their systems. Not what they are capable of, how best to wire them up,how to fault find etc etc. Not always the case but usually people who have previously been analogue and "appy with it".

The suggestion by the OP that running troubles are more prevalent on DCC exhibition layouts is frankly, abject nonsense. IMHO faultless running can be obtained in both analogue and DCC if the layout has been well planned, well built, is electrically sound and has operators who understand what they are doing.

And so.....did we ever find out what the problem with the layout was?.

Well reading this thread pasted a half hour still not sure what the point was.

As they say those that can do those that can't don't.

What grinds my gears at an exhibition is the Sunday timetable due to talking if you wish to talk to your chum whom you haven't seen for weeks carry on but have someone operate for the paying public.

I'm a stickler for this on our club layouts we even have a chap to talk to the public while we play trains uh hmmm operate I mean.

DC vs DCC you make a choice and go with it but if you use your position or a column in the Railway Modeller to critic your non choice that's not on what's next criticising someone who follows GWR not SR cause we all know SR is better and we have just as good branch lines as you (really we do and our greens Olive).

I'm into DCC but when I started no one seemed to know the answer to my questions so I taught myself pretty much read everything I could find on the subject converted some locos smoked some other locos and here I am some 50+ conversions down the road (not all mine I add).

When it comes to DCC I think I'm a legend in my own bedtime.

Tin hats everyone.

G.

• Like 1

Rob

I wouldn't be horrified. I might not be interested enough to stand and watch, I can't say as I haven't seen your railway. But I would respect your choice made to suit yourself. As I have already said in this topic our hobby is big enough to include all manner of approaches - anything is allowed, there are no rules.  One man's meat may indeed be another man's poison but we don't need toxic posts on our forum, do we?

Chaz 

• Like 1