More Hornby financial woe

young37215

They don,t need to collude but clearly this has served as a big lesson. It was almost a clash of egos. I feel both parties lost and now means resources for other projects are reduced.

Perhaps there's a lesson in the cut-throat competition between the SER and LCDR for the Kent market; both were almost bankrupted until they agreed to form a joint operating company, the SECR, which was as good as its two progenitors were execrable.

Leaving things for 'the market to decide' may wind up with a damaged company narrowly avoiding the fate of its competitor...

I think the main problem is Hornby are the WH Smith of model manufacturers - they bumble along but don't really concentrate on any one market and don't do anything particularly well. A friend of mine returning to the hobby was astonished they were still churning out 1990s Lima - even his young son steered well clear of that. Kids are much better informed and demanding these days.

They have produced some great models but there is little consistency in the quality of even their premium products. Mazak rot on my 31s and 50 make me cautious about new purchases while glaring mistakes on otherwise really good models (J15) must also hurt sales. You only have to look at how long some stock hangs around...

• RMweb Premium

I think the main problem is Hornby are the WH Smith of model manufacturers - they bumble along but don't really concentrate on any one market and don't do anything particularly well. A friend of mine returning to the hobby was astonished they were still churning out 1990s Lima - even his young son steered well clear of that. Kids are much better informed and demanding these days.

They have produced some great models but there is little consistency in the quality of even their premium products. Mazak rot on my 31s and 50 make me cautious about new purchases while glaring mistakes on otherwise really good models (J15) must also hurt sales. You only have to look at how long some stock hangs around...

Agreed their is a lack of consistency and QC appears very haphazard at the moment , but these 1990 Lima models have some very nice drive trains under them , not the original Lima Pancake . They are also very nicely finished in some cases . Frankly they do for me, If I were your friend I wouldn’t be so quick to turn his nose up at them Edited by Legend

Would 99% of would be purchasers know the handrails are wrong on the J15 if it wasn't pointed out to them?

I know, but to be honest, I'm not in a hurry to start fixing them. It still looks and runs better than most models by most of the opposition.

Jason