Chivers/Comet LNER D120

• RMweb Premium

Having built a Chivers LNER D120 Pigeon Van (plastic kit to EM) recently and thinking it looked OK, I considered whether the kit would accommodate the Comet E 20 LNER Gresley FULL BRAKE (D120) sides and ends and maybe look better. Comet only produce this E20 product as a 'scratch-building' aid and not a complete kit (no roof or chassis). I believe the idea is that someone with the relative ability can make up the metal body shell (as there are some etchings to allow this) and then access or fabricate the appropriate roof and floor/chassis + fittings.

The etched sides/ends are a good match dimensionally, but on this attempt some filling will be required at the end 'joints'. I have yet to make up the door handles and handrails, add the screw or link couplings and the vacuum pipes if required.

I'm not sure I got the tumblehome quite right when soldering/sort of rolling the sides, which come as four parts (2 x 2)

You will be pleased to hear I have straightened up the 'rogue buffer!

This is the first of these conversions I have attempted (Coachman laughs out loud!!!!!) and it has been quite easy and again with just an adjustment to the chassis width to take Gibson EM wheels.

I only filed the sides/ends 'flush' and opened up the window/drop-light holes a bit; (maybe I should have made these holes bigger to accommodate flush glazing; next time?)

I think it looks quite good so far and I will try to post a pic (before the year is out) of the two finished articles so a comparison can be made.

Finally I would recommend this little project to anyone wanting to try a conversion job at a reasonable cost and it is a great way of getting that finer look that etched sides can give. :D

36E

post-2326-127469366036_thumb.jpg

Hi Phil, Would an MJT etched ducket improve the look a bit further. I have added one to my (currently unfinished) Chivers kit. I cut out the hole in the side so I could get in to fix glazing after teaking the sides. looking good all the same.

Hi Phil, Thanks for the enquiry, the wife is much improved.

You get the MJT duckets from Dart Castings rather than Andrew. The ability to solder them on would be an advantage for me I must admit.

I remember doing a search on the web prior to buying my first etched kit for hints and tips on soldering and a gent saying that he uses solder as glue for metal. At the time I was very sceptical thinking black art and all that. Now I much prefer to work in Brass or white metal and solder it,than glue a plastic kit together. I may have ago at the brass sides method but I have two so far and how many do you need? I could always sell my first attempt (it's not as good as the part finished one).

• RMweb Premium
Anyway, just been trying to find some more D120s and they seem to have disappeared off the map, even at Chivers & Kitlady!

I've been meaning to bring my health situation up to date in one of my threads, I saw the doctor on Monday and she told my that I was making progress, but "embedded" in the conversation we were talking another month!

I deilvered a batch of RC416 to Kitlady the other day.

Roger

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Phil, Would an MJT etched ducket improve the look a bit further. I have added one to my (currently unfinished) Chivers kit. I cut out the hole in the side so I could get in to fix glazing after teaking the sides. looking good all the same.

Things to do when ill part 2! Before and after (both sides).

Well Rob. I got 2 sets of MJT bits and have replaced the plastic ducket on my post build (see new pics) and also used their handles (OK so maybe not the correct mark but it's MY coach!). They are lovely little etches.

I've also added a couple of 'bulkheads' as the sides were bowing inwards a little. You can't see it but I have glazed it as well!

Also Roger I now have another two of these little D120 beauties in my work to be started drawer. Now to twist Mr. Comet's arm for a couple of sides/ends sets! This time I might also do some other detailing as there are loads of other posts on this build which have helped me immensely, especially the under gubbins.

Couple of vac pipes to add; not sure about heating pipes and jumper cables?

I feel a pigeon racing special coming on! ;)

Sincerely, B. Irdybox @ 36E

post-2326-127461553735_thumb.jpg

post-2326-127461562387_thumb.jpg

post-2326-127461567376_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know of any published photos showing the ends of this van and hopefully details of lamp irons, jumper leads and lettering, esp in BR days

There is quite a good picture on page 23 of "British Railway Non-Passaenger Rolling stock" by Cheona Publications. My copy was published in 1998, so I don't know if it's still in print. Cheona are still in business, as far as I know, so it might be worth getting in touch with them.

Very neat coach there Mallard. Must admit I overlooked the unfortunate LMS ducket on the LNER van at the time I built mine. For those interested, in addition to the etched LNER lookout ducket, MJT also offer packs of etched guards handrails as well as other hand grabs.

Does anyone know of any published photos showing the ends of this van and hopefully details of lamp irons, jumper leads and lettering, esp in BR days

there is a least one thread on the old rm web, my version is on here under LNER Models

Things to do when ill part 2! Before and after (both sides).

Well Rob. I got 2 sets of MJT bits and have replaced the plastic ducket on my post build (see new pics) and also used their handles (OK so maybe not the correct mark but it's MY coach!). They are lovely little etches.

I've also added a couple of 'bulkheads' as the sides were bowing inwards a little. You can't see it but I have glazed it as well!

Also Roger I now have another two of these little D120 beauties in my work to be started drawer. Now to twist Mr. Comet's arm for a couple of sides/ends sets! This time I might also do some other detailing as there are loads of other posts on this build which have helped me immensely, especially the under gubbins.

Couple of vac pipes to add; not sure about heating pipes and jumper cables?

I feel a pigeon racing special coming on! ;)

Sincerely, B. Irdybox @ 36E

Hi Phil, that etched ducket has really made an improvement. I may have to go down this route myself (but I should finish the one I am on with firstrolleyes.gif)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil, that etched ducket has really made an improvement. I may have to go down this route myself (but I should finish the one I am on with firstrolleyes.gif)

Hi Rob.Thanks. Yes I think it does and would on the plastic sides too I'm sure. (Not tried that configuration yet!) The little MJT pack also contains useful handles and rails. You may like to wait 'till you get the pack BEFORE drilling any holes for attaching rails?

Sincerely, Phil

Hi Phil, sorry I wasn't very clear. I have added an MJT ducket to my Chivers plastic sides but I was suggesting I might have a go at some brass ones like you at sometime in the future - you cannot have too many pigeon vansblink.gif

Archived