Hooton

Siphon208

• RMweb Gold

Here's another one ...............

The year is?

Post 1949 when Town signal box was shut and pre 1967 when Woodside was shut. Notice the working distant into a terminal station...

Levers Sidings..............

Notice the gates!

ca 1978 - they look familiar, FlyingSignalmans ?

Post 1949 when Town signal box was shut and pre 1967 when Woodside was shut. Notice the working distant into a terminal station...

ca 1978 - they look familiar, FlyingSignalmans ?

They were on Flickr and Pinterest- I have got some colour ones of 'Town somewhere, taken mid 60's. I like the signal box shots of Hooton, because you can see how extensive this junction was- Down towards Chester on the right, where the "slow" lines and the sidings were, and on the E'Port side, where the loading lines from the carpool, and the ballast sidings would have been..............

• RMweb Gold

They were on Flickr and Pinterest- I have got some colour ones of 'Town somewhere, taken mid 60's. I like the signal box shots of Hooton, because you can see how extensive this junction was- Down towards Chester on the right, where the "slow" lines and the sidings were, and on the E'Port side, where the loading lines from the carpool, and the ballast sidings would have been..............

Might be Kenny Langhorns.

Chester was Up in those days. The ballast sidings were behind the left hand signal on the other side of the bridge over the brook - one alongside the line from Ellesmere Port, from alongside the line from Chester and one down the middle.

Hooton would make a great model based in the 1960s

Chester was Up in those days. The ballast sidings were behind the left hand signal on the other side of the bridge over the brook - one alongside the line from Ellesmere Port, from alongside the line from Chester and one down the middle.

Probably have to be in N gauge- an OO version would be huge!

The shot looking towards the station- that 'slew' that they put in, clearly visible, what were they thinking?

• RMweb Gold

The shot looking towards the station- that 'slew' that they put in, clearly visible, what were they thinking?

It's not a slue - it's what was left of a double junction between the fast and slow lines, from 1972 when the slow lines to Ledsham Junction were closed (the track bed to the left of the shot) there were two sidings left - the remnants of the slow lines, these survived until the late 1970s. When I first visited Hooton South box (from where ths photo was taken), the junctions were still in place and had to be swung over when a train went into the run-round and the frame was 128 levers - impressive stuff, I did get to work this frame and it was hard work with a lot of walking up and down, the up home was lever 2 and the down home was 126, the signalmen were fit ! - the frame was compressed in 1978.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cheshirero/20974875204

• Like 1

Do it in the mid-50s and you could also have the West Kirby branch!

• Like 1

It's not a slue - it's what was left of a double junction between the fast and slow lines, from 1972 when the slow lines to Ledsham Junction were closed (the track bed to the left of the shot) there were two sidings left - the remnants of the slow lines, these survived until the late 1970s. When I first visited Hooton South box (from where ths photo was taken), the junctions were still in place and had to be swung over when a train went into the run-round and the frame was 128 levers - impressive stuff, I did get to work this frame and it was hard work with a lot of walking up and down, the up home was lever 2 and the down home was 126, the signalmen were fit ! - the frame was compressed in 1978.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cheshirero/20974875204

Thanks mate- see I told you your experience would be invaluable!

Levers Sidings..............

Notice the gates!

These photos were taken by me. The Port Sunlight one has definitely appeared on this forum and I think the 2 of the 47 on the tank train for Stanlow have too.

I don't think I'll be putting many photos on Facebook as they then seem to appear on other sites!

Edited by flyingsignalman
  • Like 1

certainly pre November 1967 as the line it's standing on was taken out of passenger use on 5 November 1967

The up fast wasn't taken out of passenger use until sometime in 1968, after Port Sunlight station had been rebuilt with a new up platform on the site of the down fast line.

is the box in the background, Blackpool Street?

At that date - box(es) I guess. Yes it is - seen here from the other direction:

post-7240-0-17679400-1524487162.jpg

That's a very unusual shot that you have posted BTW - pictures of Town are rare, but I've never seen one from that viewpoint.

Cheers.

Edited by billy_anorak59
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifblackpoolSt3.jpg

That's a very unusual shot that you have posted BTW - pictures of Town are rare, but I've never seen one from that viewpoint.

Cheers.

Hi mate- long time no hear- hope you are well. Some photos of this line are very hard to find, particularly down towards Birkenhead!

These photos were taken by me. The Port Sunlight one has definitely appeared on this forum and I think the 2 of the 47 on the tank train for Stanlow have too.

I don't think I'll be putting many photos on Facebook as they then seem to appear on other sites!

Apologies for their use, mate- I can assure you I have not seen them anywhere else, especially from me!

attachicon.gifblackpoolSt3.jpg

Cheers.

It would be interesting to see a larger version of that pic!