Is it just me?

I've just heard a report on the PM programme (Radio 4) on the cancer causing properties of coffee. A British oncologist ridiculed this, commenting that you were more likely to be hit by a car 'or a tube train.'

I just had a vision of such a train entering a station, jumping on to the platform and chasing away prospective passengers!

I do love what these 'experts' come out with some times, normally with nothing more than their opinions portrayed as facts and evidence.

I am off to make myself a bacon and egg sandwich, are bacon and eggs good or bad for us this week, I can never remember!  :jester:

• Like 2

I'd hope, pray, and bet that an oncologist knows their business ........ what this ones business clearly isn't is finding easy to understand ways of expressing probability.

'The risk of contracting terminal cancer from drinking N number of coffees each day is about the same as the lifetime risk of being run down and killed by a car.' Isn't a bad way of putting it. Dragging tube trains into it is just plan confusing and distracting, and totally irellavent if you never go to London.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

See if your on the platform with a cup of coffee you won't be able to run as fast in case you spill the coffee so you see the coffee increases the risks

Simple isn't it!

Last week at Euston a poor lady was tripped and fell onto the concourse because of the mad rush of idiots who have to run to the platform shoving others out of their way as soon as it is announced. These people make me cross, they had loads of time for the train (it was the same train I was catching) and unless you're too lazy to walk to the front of the train you can invariably get a seat but no, they decide to re-enact a game of rugby on the concourse of Euston station.

• RMweb Premium

Something I find annoying is that most medical stories express risk in terms of relative risk rather than absolute risk. Eating toast results in you being three times more likely to catch a disease you've never heard of than if you don't eat toast. And if you look at absolute risk three times a number which is so trivial you'd consider it to be effectively zero in most applications is still a number which is so trivial you'd consider it to be effectively zero. There is a whole cottage industry promoting health scare stories, health fads etc. I'm not down playing the importance of looking after your health, but if you avoid smoking, eat a reasonably balanced diet, are not a complete couch potato and have access to clean water then you're doing pretty much what you need to do to avoid the more preventable ways of dying early.

• RMweb Gold

Boiled eggs are bad for you.

I was really hungry. So, I boiled off 3 eggs, shelled them, bread & butter, salt & pepper to suit. Lovely sandwiches.

I walked out of the front door, got knocked down by the ambulance...

I was really looking forward to those sarnies!

BAH!

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not down playing the importance of looking after your health, but if you avoid smoking, eat a reasonably balanced diet, are not a complete couch potato and have access to clean water then you're doing pretty much what you need to do to avoid the more preventable ways of dying early.

Utter wisdom, of course. But our health is a complete lottery to start with - some of us are prone to this and that, others are not. I once knew a man, in his late '50s, who had never had a day's illness in his life. No cold, nothing. His brother also worked in the railway industry, had as much sickness as the average. I am 69. Both my best friends from skool, my first wife and various other close acquaintances and friends are all dead of various forms of cancer, none readily identifiable with lifestyle issues. I had twin brothers, but one of them succumbed to a brain tumour at 63. Live life to the full. It may be taken away at any time. 

Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

Life is definitely a terminal disease; there is no way out of it alive...

I have reached an age where the acquisition of wisdom and experience mean that I don' give a flying wossnim any more; if I want to eat it or drink it, I will eat it or drink it.  I've got about 20 years tops anyway.

• Like 3

In the Museum of science and industry (MOSI) in manchester, apart from all those beautiful locomotives, there's an amazing array of other exhibits including a geiger counter, which, placed over the coffee beans on the exhibit / display, produces the clicking noise to signify radiation and at the time, I did wonder if there might be a small risk of cancer, but I guess there would be a big hoo-ha, like there has been with the smoking "thing" in recent years, which there hasn't... up to now at least, anyway.....   

Last week at Euston a poor lady was tripped and fell onto the concourse because of the mad rush of idiots who have to run to the platform shoving others out of their way as soon as it is announced. These people make me cross, they had loads of time for the train (it was the same train I was catching) and unless you're too lazy to walk to the front of the train you can invariably get a seat but no, they decide to re-enact a game of rugby on the concourse of Euston station.

This happens at many large stations. It seems strange when most advance tickets come with reserved seats. 

The sprint for Bristol trains at Paddington sometimes gets to stupid proportions, especially when the first people into each carriage then block the aisles while putting all their luggage on the overhead racks, deciding which one of them has the window seat and insisting on removing their coats and jackets before even thinking about sitting down. 

It was strange at Kings Cross the other week, because the inbound Leeds train was late and arrived about 1 minute before it should have departed again. The group of passengers watching the concourse matrix display had to wait while the litter was removed and new reservation cards added, etc. By the time the "Platform 1" appeared on the display it was already 6 minutes after scheduled departure time, and platform 1 is not particularly adjacent to the main passenger waiting area. 

Nevertheless, after one minute and while most people were still trudging across to platform 1; the announcement was 'will passengers for the xxxx to Leeds on platform 1 please board the train immediately as it is about to depart'. Cue multiple heart attacks from many pensioners doing their best dragging wheelie suitcases. 

(I hope this is the rant thread - if not feel free to delete it). 

The scrum at Euston is quite funny to watch (but also quite frightening).

Last year we were waiting on that god dam awful concourse for the 21-10 home to Wigan (humming the ELO tune "Last train to Wigan" !!) a LM service to Milton Keynes was duly announced - the platform that is, and the rush / scrum was unbelievable to behold, one wag shouting aloud and laughing "don't panic, don't panic" Dad's army style !!

Our train was duly announced around 21-00, then a leisurely walk down to coach B at the front, with no rush as we and most others had reserved seats. This is as it should be.

Great to get out of at 100 mph is London for me these days. It's a good place for a day out  - but seems to be getting to be a hell hole for the average commuter there. The stress, pollution, job worry, housing, crime etc etc  just can't be good for anyone, and it seems to ramp up year and year.

I remember Bernard manning, the Manchester comedian once saying -  "If you like a smoke, have a smoke. If you like a drink, have a drink. If you like chips, eat chips,"  don't take these doctors on - they'll have you in bed by nine o clock if you do !!

Brit15

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Utter wisdom, of course. But our health is a complete lottery to start with - some of us are prone to this and that, others are not. I once knew a man, in his late '50s, who had never had a day's illness in his life. No cold, nothing. His brother also worked in the railway industry, had as much sickness as the average. I am 69. Both my best friends from skool, my first wife and various other close acquaintances and friends are all dead of various forms of cancer, none readily identifiable with lifestyle issues. I had twin brothers, but one of them succumbed to a brain tumour at 63. Live life to the full. It may be taken away at any time.

Indeed, it's also worth remembering that correlation does not in itself equate to causation. I think there are so many variables affecting health that claiming that altering a single factor will be ruinously bad or positively transformational in terms of longevity should be taken with a slight pinch of salt. And quite aside from the genetic lottery in terms of being afflicted with certain ailments of likelihood of contracting cancer there is no certainty that exposure to some unhealthy substances etc will have any adverse effect. I think it is universally accepted that smoking is terribly unhealthy and can cause all sorts of deleterious illnesses and death (not just lung cancer) yet I suspect most of us also will have known somebody who smoked like a chimney all their life and died at a ripe old age of something totally unrelated to smoking. I used to work in a nuclear fuels facility, despite the popular (mis)conception that the merest whiff of radiation is equivalent to a death sentence it is much more complicated than that. Quite aside from the fact that different radionuclides are associated with different dosages there are numerous examples of people receiving large heavy doses of radiation and going on to lead long and healthy lives. Life is a bit of a lottery. I also think that life should be enjoyed, whilst I wouldn't advocate wanton self destructiveness I do think that there is a balance in life.

• RMweb Premium

Great to get out of at 100 mph is London for me these days. It's a good place for a day out  - but seems to be getting to be a hell hole for the average commuter there. The stress, pollution, job worry, housing, crime etc etc  just can't be good for anyone, and it seems to ramp up year and year.

[/size]

Brit15

Commuting in/out of London is something you can either take or you can't. I'd rather not commute, but I really don't mind it and the work/life balance of living in Milton Keynes and working in London is one I'm happy with. I'm from oop North myself, that big North of Lancashire, and people from back home think I'm a lunatic for living and working down here but I like it. However I can see why others wouldn't. I love London, it's a great walking city and I just take it for granted that I walk through Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden, down the Mall, Whitehall, past St. Pauls, past Parliament, Tower Bridge etc so frequently.

• RMweb Gold

Nature ..... nurture ......luck

No escape for any of us am afraid!

Heres the hard facts...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/223190/life_expectancy.pdf

However that doesn't account for the Piscators amongst us - a day spent fishing is added to life span, not deducted.

Phil

• Like 2