Govt to ban single use plastic in model trains

We could make things last longer but why would we when we can sell a phone, computer, washer indeed most things then sell you a brand new one in 12 - 18 months with some new gadget that you MUST have that was designed about 3 years ago.

Capitalism has run on throw it away and buy a new one (even if it aint broke) for years, I just cant believe that it's a conservative government that is taking action... what next Lib Dems for brexit? Corbyn for war? the world has changed so much...

Mark

I think you have to be or a certain generation to remember the classic kids show that was Bodger and Badger......

Funnily enough I'm not even of that generation, I was more Clangers, Bagpuss and other 1970s TV. But it was my niece's favourite programme when she was a kid so it was on all the time.

It was the first thing that entered my mind when someone mentioned mash potato and I've had the theme tune in my head nearly all day. Good job I never mentioned the Martians. :jester: 

Jason

I'm not sure I'd like the idea of living nappies though. 

We seem to end up with a dustbin full when my daughter visits  with her  young offspring ,Wife is disgusted and asks what happened to terri nappies.

After yet another cheapo landline phone had gone west - recycled into the hard plastic / electronics sections at the local RC - trying to do the right thing but I'm not sure where it all then goes ................. I've recycled one of these as my landline now - single use plastic at its finest !! - which with the addition of a small electronic gizmo works perfectly on a modern digital line as a touch-tone phone and I love it ............ very WHITEHALL 1212post-5198-0-60562400-1524163820_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

With this plastic eating enzyme that's apparently been discovered have we got a new way to trim the flash off plastic kits? :)

Oh dear, wasn't that an early plot in Doomwatch where something like this got completely out of hand?

• Like 1

We seem to end up with a dustbin full when my daughter visits with her young offspring ,Wife is disgusted and asks what happened to terri nappies.

Still available for those who want to put in the effort. However, based on my observations of a number of users, it is a lot of effort. Once you take into account the energy, detergents and bleaches involved in keeping them civilised, I'm not sure the benefit is as great as it appears at face value.

• RMweb Premium

After yet another cheapo landline phone had gone west - recycled into the hard plastic / electronics sections at the local RC - trying to do the right thing but I'm not sure where it all then goes ................. I've recycled one of these as my landline now - single use plastic at its finest !! - which with the addition of a small electronic gizmo works perfectly on a modern digital line as a touch-tone phone and I love it ............ very WHITEHALL 1212attachicon.gifs-l1600.jpg

Of course the silly 'Whitehall 1212' telephone * was actually the earlier shaped 200 style tele, not that one which is a 300....

There's a very good Bakelite Museum where all sorts of things are on display included a Bakelite coffin, in which the curator intends to be buried.....

As another aside, it appears that BT intend to turn off there System X and AXE10 exchanges on the next five years, and replace them with VoIP, so presumably they will be providing VoIP adapters to everyone, now the question is, will loop-disconnect dialling be available on these?

Andy G

*which was of course was a hideous 1980's looky-likey with a horrible handset.

Edited by uax6

Of course the silly 'Whitehall 1212' telephone * was actually the earlier shaped 200 style tele, not that one which is a 300....

Yes, strictly speaking mine is a Series 300 but I've nicked the phrase. Yes those modern imitations are hideous

Another reason I'm now using one of these is that in my early railway career I had the joy of working in the original 1935 Southern Electrical Control Room at Swanley (similar to Woking) and all the phones both in the ECR and the Substations  were marvellous Bakelite examples similar to Series 200/300's and custom wall-mounted examples with polished wood cases - it makes any phone call feel like an occasion - but then I'm weird :laugh:

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 2

We seem to end up with a dustbin full when my daughter visits  with her  young offspring ,Wife is disgusted and asks what happened to terri nappies.

Reusable nappies still exist although not quite as per the old days

My wife when I first met her ran a nappy deliver service with her sister

Cotton nappies

A disposable liner...bonded fibre sort of thing

And wraps/pants to go over the top

The parents would buy the wraps and be charged for x no of nappies per week

Every week Tina would collect the dirty nappies in sacks and deliver freshly laundered ones

Hospital laundry was used and was good business for them

She did get stopped once by the police who wanted to see what was in the back of the van ...she replied sh.t. But he didn't believe her and insisted on having a look...it was a hot day so strangely for some reason he only took a brief look before sending her on her way :-)

The business was sold and the new owners were caught up in the Lloyds? commercial banking fraud case and lost a lot of money

Colin

Ironically it is the Bakelite telephone (and a lovely piece of kit it is) which is non recycleable plastic.  Model railway use tends to be styrenes/ ABS which are in fact easily reground/ re pelleted and then injection moulded into something else. Somehow I can not see any modeller using his Bachmann coaches then handing them back to be recycled into something else. If they do I will happily volunteer to start the recycling process.

best wishes,

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Yes, strictly speaking mine is a Series 300 but I've nicked the phrase. Yes those modern imitations are hideous

Another reason I'm now using one of these is that in my early railway career I had the joy of working in the original 1935 Southern Electrical Control Room at Swanley (similar to Woking) and all the phones both in the ECR and the Substations  were marvellous Bakelite examples similar to Series 200/300's and custom wall-mounted examples with polished wood cases - it makes any phone call feel like an occasion - but then I'm weird :laugh:

Ah not that weird, I have 1930's GPO telephone exchanges to make mine work!

Andy G