Hornby to end the Thomas the Tank Engine range

Trains4U

I think the half-cab pannier tank only came about because they used the tooling for the previous pannier for 'Duck', albeit with the new chassis. I dont think Duck had the motor in the cab.

But you still can hack off the sandboxes and use them on a Bachmann 57xx to make your own RWS Duck model.

I think the half-cab pannier tank only came about because they used the tooling for the previous pannier for 'Duck', albeit with the new chassis. I dont think Duck had the motor in the cab.

There was a half-cab pannier tank in the 1981 Hornby catalogue and a full-cab 5700 (I think) type.  A few years before the Hornby Thomas range.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder what the likelihood is of Hornby modifying the Thomas moulds back in to an LBSCR E2, with detailing tweaks such as handrails and slim couplers like the new Railroad 14xx?

The original E2 tooling, from which the Thomas moulds were converted, incorporated several deliberate dimensional "errors" and distortions to make it fit the standard Jinty chassis. The ex-Airfix 14xx came from the late-1970s "new generation" of more accurate models that would eventually lead to the higher-end r-t-r of today.

In any case, IIRC, Hornby stated at the time that the conversion of the tooling was irreversible, and it's probably pretty clapped out by now anyway.

Better to start again from the beginning, for all those reasons, and also perhaps to allow models of both sub-classes to be produced.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

It'll be interesting to see what will happen with the Bachmann offering though.

Will the new importers be able to buy them direct from a UK base instead of US?

Will the pricing be the same as the US (converted to £)? Or will they fetch slightly higher prices, thus making importing for the sole consumer still viable?

I wonder if availability will also increase, but also drive prices down?

I have nearly all the Bachmann locos and a Hornby Stepney - all chipped, apart from Percy who I might have to just buy a new one as his side rod (maybe piston?) keep falling off.

Just a shame they are very shiny plastic, although I'm sure someone sprayed some sort of matt finish which toned it down a fair bit once.

• RMweb Premium

Just a shame they are very shiny plastic, although I'm sure someone sprayed some sort of matt finish which toned it down a fair bit once.

Don’t forget the Bachmann ones are designed to mimic the show so of course they will be shiny. They wouldn’t look right in my opinion if they weren’t.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t forget the Bachmann ones are designed to mimic the show so of course they will be shiny. They wouldn’t look right in my opinion if they weren’t.

So, some would rather go for a cartoony matte-finish, right? The shine on them made them look so darn realistic even in the early seasons of the original UK series.

• RMweb Premium

So, some would rather go for a cartoony matte-finish, right? The shine on them made them look so darn realistic even in the early seasons of the original UK series.

Yeah I agree. Real Locomotives are shiny so Thomas and his friends should be too.

Good afternoon everyone,

I popped into Sawyer Models in Leigh today to pick up a Metcalfe kit and they are now stocking the Bachmann Thomas range. In my opinion far superior to Hornby's range and a much bigger selection. Andy let me hold and examine some of the engines. I don't model Thomas but I can see these being very popular. Andy said another delivery is currently in the air and will hopefully arrive before Christmas.

post-25771-0-87981700-1545152375_thumb.jpg

post-25771-0-26649800-1545152432_thumb.jpg

Photos by kind permission of Andy.

Happy modelling.

All the best

Charles.

Good afternoon everyone,

I popped into Sawyer Models in Leigh today to pick up a Metcalfe kit and they are now stocking the Bachmann Thomas range. In my opinion far superior to Hornby's range and a much bigger selection. Andy let me hold and examine some of the engines. I don't model Thomas but I can see these being very popular. Andy said another delivery is currently in the air and will hopefully arrive before Christmas.

attachicon.gifDSC_1605.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_1606.JPG

Photos by kind permission of Andy.

Happy modelling.

All the best

Charles.

Surprise, surprise! At least this ought to keep the hobby going!

Yeah I agree. Real Locomotives are shiny so Thomas and his friends should be too.

Well, the series was meant to be taken as realistic as realistic can be - something the Thin Clergyman himself intended to do after Book 6 of The Railway Series. Try comparing that to the Bob the Builder reboot series.