Hornby to end the Thomas the Tank Engine range

Trains4U

• RMweb Gold

So is it all a load of rubbish then? A fake statement? Should we lock the topic?

I assumed the OP (Trains4u), as a trader who presumably has direct contact with Hornby, got it from the horse's mouth

A couple of posts have referred to spelling errors in the announcement casting doubt on its veracity, but there aren't any in the parts quoted in Post #1.

Perhaps the OP or one of those citing errors could clarify the source of the notification, ideally with a link so that we can read the original text. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

If Mattel feel they can sue with impunity then why can't the Gresley family counterclaim in the case of the A4, 

H N Gresley was an employee of the LNER, and any work produced (intellectual included) was in the ownership of the company.

TTTE was the idea and personal property of Rev Awdry,  and the family sold the publishing and merchandising rights to Brit Allcroft, who in turn sold them on.

Possibly one needs to be careful with expressions like 'to infinity and beyond' as well. (ignoring that the phrase doesn't make sense - by definition, infinity cannot have anything beyond it....)

The universe is infinite in size....and expanding. So is beyond the infinite when this thread started and went off topic.

This is interesting. From what I understand, Hornby, which has been in some financial difficulties for a few years, had something of an internal battle for control between rival factions of directors a few years ago: one faction wanted to position Hornby more towards its traditional market of children's toys, and the other wanted to focus more on serious models for the adult market. In the end, the dispute was, from what I read, resolved by the directors favouring the serious models approach buying out those favouring the children's toys approach. This was circa late 2016.

Hornby's financial position has remained, from the reports that I have read, in a poor state since then, and this news seems to be consistent with the approach of the faction of directors who retained control.

I suspect that train sets in general as children's toys are losing market share to other sorts of children's toys - which in many ways is rather a shame, as I recall that my own interest in railways was sparked when my father bought me a Hornby train set at age 3. Nevertheless, those (I suspect all in this forum) who fall into the serious models for the adult market category might take some comfort from the fact that this decision is consistent with a strategy of focussing on that segment of the market.

There is still a market for OO gauge TTTE models, as I've known serious modellers but then to run on a traditional layout to entertain visiting children, either at home or at shows (I usually take a few items when operating a tailchaser). This is no guarantee that the kids want to see Thomas and doesn't reflect the fact that a lot of the range is easily available secondhand, but then so is everything else from the Railroad range that people still demand as new. Otherwise, why should the Hornby range be expected to compete with Tomy items that are cheaper and have more play value....?

...There is still a market for OO gauge TTTE models, as I've known serious modellers but then to run on a traditional layout to entertain visiting children, either at home or at shows (I usually take a few items when operating a tailchaser). This is no guarantee that the kids want to see Thomas and doesn't reflect the fact that a lot of the range is easily available secondhand, but then so is everything else from the Railroad range that people still demand as new. Otherwise, why should the Hornby range be expected to compete with Tomy items that are cheaper and have more play value....?

That there is a market for something does not mean that there is a sufficiently large market to sustain profitable production.

I assumed the OP (Trains4u), as a trader who presumably has direct contact with Hornby, got it from the horse's mouth

A couple of posts have referred to spelling errors in the announcement casting doubt on its veracity, but there aren't any in the parts quoted in Post #1.

Perhaps the OP or one of those citing errors could clarify the source of the notification, ideally with a link so that we can read the original text. 

John

Hi,

Yes, it is a genuine statement. (I'm hardly likely to fib about it!)

It is part of a Trade e-mail from Hornby that I wasn't comfortable copying in it's entirety.

If I can extract the original statements I'll post it.

Hi,

Yes, it is a genuine statement. (I'm hardly likely to fib about it!)

It is part of a Trade e-mail from Hornby that I wasn't comfortable copying in it's entirety.

If I can extract the original statements I'll post it.

Not that modern retailing works in such a way, but what is to stop a retailer buying up remaining stock and selling it in years to come? (Apart from a lack of manufacturers support, storage costs, and an unknown market).

This is the statement I have seen - and it does, as others have mentioned, contain clear errors (Awdry - Audrey, affect - effect, old Hit logo) does result in the confusion as to its validity. If it has come from Hornby then they need to look at the quality of what they are sending out.

Not that modern retailing works in such a way, but what is to stop a retailer buying up remaining stock and selling it in years to come? (Apart from a lack of manufacturers support, storage costs, and an unknown market).

I wouldn't be surprised if a cash rich retailer has already done so. 

Edited by Trains4U

This is the statement I have seen - and it does, as others have mentioned, contain clear errors (Awdry - Audrey, affect - effect, old Hit logo) does result in the confusion as to its validity. If it has come from Hornby then they need to look at the quality of what they are sending out.

Also the U.S. license not licence....but this may have been copied from the actual documentation it being from a U.S. Company.

"In the following years the Thomas range grew to include a truly impressive selection of not only a variety of sets but locomotives and rolling stock...."

I question that statement, especially when comparing it against the Bachmann US range. Even when I was young enough to want them I could see the Hornby locos barely shared any resemblance to either the engines in either the books or the TV series. The models always felt like a lazy, corner cutting way of selling the brand. Compared to the Bachmann ones which are actually based on the models used in the programmes, plus the fact they have done models of more of the characters, rolling stock, and now even the narrow gauge the Hornby range cannot come close in my eyes.

I see this as a good thing for Hornby as they can now concentrate more resources on their main ranges, and for Bachmann as hopefully they will pick up the gauntlet and their fantastic range can be more easily available in this country.

• RMweb Gold

And naturally everyone commenting on it is an expert in Hornby's sales and finances. *groan*

I couldn't possibly comment on Hornby, and their financial position, the same for any other company.

What I do have is experience of another 'entertainment' company, and the hoops some businesses have to jump through in order to obtain 'the license'.

I daresay the licence fee was outside the boundaries of good business, and a decision had to be made.

Sounds to me like Hornby have a good eye on the market.

The quality & fidelity continues to rise, against an competitor who might well put your bum over a barrel. Choices, anybody?

Cheers,

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Like 1

Been meaning to get a 'Henry' from Hattons, no harm in picking one up right now. As someone who was born the year these were introduced into the range, I am really sorry to see it go. Had the good reverend still been alive I suspect he would have liked to have seen Hornby continue with the brand regardless. The range has actually evolved over the years, the Thomas model in particular has had several revisions (I prefer the original RWS style faces mind). I know I go against the grain a bit here, but I preferred Hornby's models over the Bachmann range as they seem to fit better with the 'realistic' engines, which you may say are more Awdry-esque.

Will Bachmann make the leap and officially bring their range to the UK?

Edited by Coldgunner

I couldn't possibly comment on Hornby, and their financial position, the same for any other company.

What I do have is experience of another 'entertainment' company, and the hoops some businesses have to jump through in order to obtain 'the license'.

I daresay the licence fee was outside the boundaries of good business, and a decision had to be made.

Sounds to me like Hornby have a good eye on the market.

The quality & fidelity continues to rise, against an competitor who might well put your bum over a barrel. Choices, anybody?

Cheers,

Ian.

I suspect that it is another licence holder that knows the price of everything and the value of nothing as one market assists the other.

Mark Saunders