Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

3 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

In fairness, Hattons never said they would supply the Class 66 to retailers. I don't know if this will change but that is the current situation.

Yes I must admit I'd not heard it from Hattons either, but seeing as this model shop was already stocking other Hattons products it seemed sensible that the 66 would be stocked, and on good authority of the owner telling me that he'd be 'getting them all in'.

Hopefully it will change, if there's any left!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone could help me please?

I am considering buying several of the Freightliner Class 66s by Hattons, but before I do I have a few questions for the people who have already bought and received theirs. 

a) Does your Class 66 wobble when running?

b) Have any axle boxes fallen off of your Class 66, either when they arrived or during running?

c) When removing the body to either fit the second NEM coupling, a DCC Decoder or Sound Decoder have any of the cab steps/ladders or any other detailing fallen off as a result?

d) How easy is it to fit the second NEM coupling and does this require removing the bodyshell? 

e) Has their been any other faults or issues with the Class 66?

f) What are the positive points of the Hattons Class 66?

I would just like to know what others think about the models before I commit to spending a significant amount of money on them. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

6 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

I visited my excellent local model shop on Saturday whom has previously told me he would be getting the Hattons 66s in, but unfortunately this is now not happening. He said he's now chosen not to stock anything from Hattons, which is a shame.

I will still get one for Hattons but it's a shame I cannot support my local model shop as I normally do, and I might have had 2 or 3.

I'm sure Hattons have sound reasons not to supply other retailers, but I suspect if this owner is a bit narked about it to cease stocking Hattons altogether I suspect he's not the only one.

Me x1.

I too went to my local model shop last July with a shopping list of 4 Class 66s, hoping to support my local shop (in West London), to only find out last week that he's not been able to get his order confirmed. A tel call by me to the nice people at Hattons last Monday confirmed that the Class is an exclusive to them. One of the sound models I wanted is now out-of-stock. :(

Before anyone jumps on me, I know that Hatton's never said they would sell to other shops, and they have not let me down in any way. But it was my hope that they would have used smaller outlets and my local shop too believed for the past 7 months that the model would be winging the way to him.

(I've seen Hattons Dave reply above and also Widnes Model Centre).

21 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone could help me please?

I am considering buying several of the Freightliner Class 66s by Hattons, but before I do I have a few questions for the people who have already bought and received theirs. 

I would just like to know what others think about the models before I commit to spending a significant amount of money on them. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Hello Danny,

Based upon personal experience only:

a) Does your Class 66 wobble when running?

Two out of the original four models I purchased demonstrated distinct wobbling.  With extensive running in the wobble rectified itself successfully on one of those models, whilst the second 'wobbler' unfortunately wasn't so lucky and was returned (with no quibbles from Hattons whatsoever incidentally) for replacement.  Sadly, the replacement model also wobbles, which has improved slightly with prolonged running-in, however not completely, and as such Hattons have agreed to exchange this second 'wobbler' when replacement stock arrives.   

b) Have any axle boxes fallen off of your Class 66, either when they arrived or during running?

Yes, some of the axle box covers have worked loose over time, whilst others remain perfectly in place with no loosening whatsoever.    

c) When removing the body to either fit the second NEM coupling, a DCC Decoder or Sound Decoder have any of the cab steps/ladders or any other detailing fallen off as a result?

The body is straightforward enough to remove from the chassis and the cab steps haven't fallen off, however:

Problem:  Extreme care is required when re-uniting the bodyshell with the chassis.  The issue is that (by design) the handrails effectively protrude inwards and as such make for an extremely tight fit against the chassis-block on re-assembly.  Effectively, if you aren't keeping your eyes on all eight handrails at the same time whilst re-assembling the body and chassis then it is very easy for some of those delicate rails to be inadvertently buckled/twisted/jammed between the bodyshell and chassis block.  Not an impossible task, but incredibly delicate.  After much profuse sweating during the exercise I decided that it wasn't going to be good practice to have to remove the bodyshell more than absolutely necessary from thereon. 

Solution:  On further thought on this issue I am thinking that it might be possible to lightly affix a small section of very stiff paper or thin card between the handrails and chassis, thus shielding said steps/rails from buckling/twisting... although to be fair this is something I am yet to experiment with, as I have no desire to unassemble and re-assemble unless absolutely necessary. 

One thing I would say is that those steps/rails appear to be the most vulnerable detailing part on the model and I cannot imagine that many will stand the test of time.  In view of this I would think it might be desirable if spares were included with future models.  Just a thought.

d) How easy is it to fit the second NEM coupling and does this require removing the bodyshell? 

Yes, removal of the bodyshell is required.  It is very easy to remove and swap over the bufferbeam/DAM section with the straightforward removal of two screws.  There are clear instructions/diagrams included with the model.

e) Has their been any other faults or issues with the Class 66?

My own models have been okay in all other respects although naturally others may have different experiences.  There are the documented issues regarding marker lights on the larger/bug-eyed headlight variety, see earlier posts if that concerns you. 

f) What are the positive points of the Hattons Class 66?

It's a fantastic model, no question - the detailing is absolutely superb, and for a model with so many separately added parts everything looks to have been assembled incredibly well - no excess glue marks, no crooked steps, no loose, buckled or crooked grilles; pipes, buffers etc all present and correct - and believe me, if anyone can be categorized as being OCD over such matters, then that's definitely me!  :D 

Joking aside, there does come a point that as we demand more and more detail on our models that the potential for breakages/damaged/missing detailing etc inevitably increases - and that of course is annoying when it occurs, but realistically that's always going to be a possibility with any purchase of any model.  Overall I'm very pleased with what looks to be (to my eye at least) a highly competent standard of assembly.

Other positive points - it's a nice, super-heavy model, runs very smoothly and most importantly of all it looks like a 66.  Maybe this is just a personal thing, but one thing I always look for particularly in a locomotive, is that the model has a realistic kind of stance/presence.  After experiencing too many 66s from other manufacturers that slouch on their bogies straight out-of-the-box (and thus take on a bit of a 'limp' stature), I can happily say that this latest model pleases in all these respects and really looks the part. 

Lastly, I haven't (yet) fitted any of my models with a DCC decoder, as I am awaiting the arrival of the sound-fitted models...  soon... hopefully...  at which point I will then decide as to how my existing DC locos will be upgraded, ie. with sound, or otherwise.

I hope this helps.    :)

cheers

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, YesTor said:

Hello Danny,

Based upon personal experience only:

Two out of the original four models I purchased demonstrated distinct wobbling.  With extensive running in the wobble rectified itself successfully on one of those models, whilst the second 'wobbler' unfortunately wasn't so lucky and was returned (with no quibbles from Hattons whatsoever incidentally) for replacement.  Sadly, the replacement model also wobbles, and Hattons have agreed to exchange this second 'wobbler' when replacement stock arrives.   

Yes, some of the axle box covers have worked loose over time, whilst others remain perfectly in place with no loosening whatsoever.    

The body is straightforward enough to remove from the chassis and the cab steps haven't fallen off, however:

Problem:  Extreme care is required when re-uniting the bodyshell with the chassis.  The issue is that (by design) the handrails effectively protrude inwards and as such make for an extremely tight fit against the chassis-block on re-assembly.  Effectively, if you aren't keeping your eyes on all eight handrails at the same time whilst re-assembling the body and chassis then it is very easy for some of those delicate rails to be inadvertently buckled/twisted/jammed between the bodyshell and chassis block.  Not an impossible task, but incredibly delicate.  After much profuse sweating during the exercise I decided that it wasn't going to be good practice to have to remove the bodyshell more than absolutely necessary from thereon. 

Solution:  On further thought on this issue I am thinking that it might be possible to lightly affix a small section of very stiff paper or thin card between the handrails and chassis, thus shielding said steps/rails from buckling/twisting... although to be fair this is something I am yet to experiment with, as I have no desire to unassemble and re-assemble unless absolutely necessary. 

One thing I would say is that those steps/rails appear to be the most vulnerable detailing part on the model and I cannot imagine that many will stand the test of time.  In view of this I would think it might be desirable if spares were included with future models.  Just a thought.

Yes, removal of the bodyshell is required.  It is very easy to remove and swap over the bufferbeam/DAM section with the straightforward removal of two screws.  There are clear instructions/diagrams included with the model.

My own models have been okay in all other respects although naturally others may have different experiences.  There are the documented issues regarding marker lights on the larger/bug-eyed headlight variety, see earlier posts if that concerns you. 

It's a fantastic model, no question - the detailing is absolutely superb, and for a model with so many separately added parts everything looks to have been assembled incredibly well - no excess glue marks, no crooked steps, no loose, buckled or crooked grilles; pipes, buffers etc all present and correct - and believe me, if anyone can be categorized as being OCD over such matters, then that's definitely me!  :D 

Joking aside, there does come a point that as we demand more and more detail on our models that the potential for breakages/damaged/missing detailing etc inevitably increases - and that of course is annoying when it occurs, but realistically that's always going to be a possibility with any purchase of any model.  Overall I'm very pleased with what looks to be (to my eye at least) a highly competent standard of assembly.

Other positive points - it's a nice, super-heavy model, runs very smoothly and most importantly of all it looks like a 66.  Maybe this is just a personal thing, but one thing I always look for particularly in a locomotive, is that the model has a realistic kind of stance/presence.  After experiencing too many 66s from other manufacturers that slouch on their bogies straight out-of-the-box (and thus take on a bit of a 'limp' stature), I can happily say that this latest model pleases in all these respects and really looks the part. 

Lastly, I haven't yet fitted any of my models with a DCC decoder, as to be honest DCC is not so much my confident area and is something I'm just getting into, so I'd imagine others may be able to advise on this in more detail.  That said, I am very much looking forward to my sound-fitted models arriving...  soon... hopefully...  at which point I will then decide as to how my existing DC locos will be upgraded, ie. with sound, or otherwise.

I hope this helps.    :)

cheers

Al

Hi Al, 

Thank you very much for the thorough reply. I really appreciate it. 

In relation to the wobbling I may take a chance and buy some of the models, especially as though Hattons have been helpful with yourself with allowing you to return wobbly models and swop them for replacement models. I'm sorry to hear that you can't seem to shake off the wobbling off of one particular model. Hopefully Hattons can swop it again when the main batch arrives soon. 

I'm not overly concerned about the axle boxes falling off, I know that they shouldn't but apparently they can easily be pushed back in or pushed back in and superglued as Hattons have recently advised. With a new feature like this, especially with the axle boxes been operational I suppose we can't always expect everything to be functioning and never fall off. 

Thank you especially for the information regarding the removal of the bodyshell. I plan on removing the bodyshell to fit the second NEM coupling and to possibly fit DCC Decoders if I opt to buy DCC Ready models and not DCC Fitted. As you mention something to do is ensure that you undertake any works all in one go, thus the removal of the bodyshell and difficulty in refitting it will be less of an issue in the future. 

I was considering buying Freightliner 66418 & 66621, although now both have confirmed faults with the lighting and the latter has the incorrect yellow ends, I will leave both of these and opt for some of the other Freightliner variants. 

I have to say the Hattons 66 does seem to quite literally 'stand up' and it looks more 3D from the videos I have seen when compared to the Bachmann 66 which as you say does appear to now lack presence when compared to the new Hattons version. I also think that the extra detailing both inside the cabs of the Hattons 66 and externally on the chassis does add to this presence, especially when compared to the Bachmann 66 which does lack both the in cab detail and external detailing on the chassis. The Hattons 66 does look more like a 66.  

How powerful is the haulage capacity of the Hattons 66 compared to the Bachmann 66? I have watched some videos online and the Hattons 66 certainly does appear to have the capability of hauling heavier and longer trains compared to the Bachmann 66. I just wanted to hear what your thoughts are on this and if you have run your Hattons 66 with any stock yet. 

Thank you for all of the help and information so far. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

27 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

In relation to the wobbling I may take a chance and buy some of the models, especially as though Hattons have been helpful with yourself with allowing you to return wobbly models and swop them for replacement models. I'm sorry to hear that you can't seem to shake off the wobbling off of one particular model. Hopefully Hattons can swop it again when the main batch arrives soon. 

Being helpful - I think the term is 'obliged to under the Consumer Rights Act'.

They shouldn't wobble, if they replace them then it is an acceptance that the particular model has a fault.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

They shouldn't wobble, if they replace them then it is an acceptance that the particular model has a fault.

Well, yes that as well. 

But I have no issue with Hattons and I didn't think to or want to go into using legal terminology regarding consumer rights when just having a conversation about models. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Well, yes that as well. 

But I have no issue with Hattons and I didn't think to or want to go into using legal terminology regarding consumer rights when just having a conversation about models. 

Maybe not, but the models have not all been perfect out of the box, we're not constrained from saying that and Hattons have acknowledged an issue.

You yourself asked questions about the model to help with a decision about making a purchase, if we did not discuss the bad as well as the good then any advice would be a bit one sided.

All I was saying was Hattons don't replace things out of the goodness of their hearts, but equally on the other side of that coin, they appear to be doing these without quibble so that is good customer service.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Maybe not, but the models have not all been perfect out of the box, we're not constrained from saying that and Hattons have acknowledged an issue.

You yourself asked questions about the model to help with a decision about making a purchase, if we did not discuss the bad as well as the good then any advice would be a bit one sided.

All I was saying was Hattons don't replace things out of the goodness of their hearts, but equally on the other side of that coin, they appear to be doing these without quibble so that is good customer service.

I completely agree and yes I do need to know about the good and bad points of these models in order to make an informed decision, especially when parting with a considerable amount of money. 

As you say the fact that Hattons have taken a no quibble approach with the 66 is excellent, because at least they are acknowledging faults and errors and are sending customers replacement products. 

At the moment, I'm sat on the fence with the Hattons 66s. Some have arrived with detailing and axle boxes loose, axle boxes have fallen off when running in some cases and their are some issues with refitting the bodyshells with regards to detailing potentially able to come lose and fall off or become damaged in the process. For me I would have to remove the bodyshell even if I bought DCC FItted models because I would want the second NEM fitted, so this is a concern for me, especially if I bought a few models, because I would face the same process and possible issues several times. 

4 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

At the moment, I'm sat on the fence with the Hattons 66s. Some have arrived with detailing and axle boxes loose, axle boxes have fallen off when running in some cases and their are some issues with refitting the bodyshells with regards to detailing potentially able to come lose and fall off or become damaged in the process. For me I would have to remove the bodyshell even if I bought DCC FItted models because I would want the second NEM fitted, so this is a concern for me, especially if I bought a few models, because I would face the same process and possible issues several times. 

Well you're first two issues seem to be on Hattons to resolve maybe before you buy - not getting the initial batches may help but then you maybe have a particular model you want which may only be sold in the initial batches and if there is an issue will there be a replacement.

The second challenge is how well you can cope with removing the body and replacing it, only you know your own skills and whether Yes Tor's advice will help you.

It seems to me that the levels of little extra fittings are getting in the way of being able to get into the models - some manufacturers are looking at ways to achieve things with less destructive outcomes for the modeller but it's a bit hit and miss.

Good luck with your decision and outcome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Well you're first two issues seem to be on Hattons to resolve maybe before you buy - not getting the initial batches may help but then you maybe have a particular model you want which may only be sold in the initial batches and if there is an issue will there be a replacement.

The second challenge is how well you can cope with removing the body and replacing it, only you know your own skills and whether Yes Tor's advice will help you.

It seems to me that the levels of little extra fittings are getting in the way of being able to get into the models - some manufacturers are looking at ways to achieve things with less destructive outcomes for the modeller but it's a bit hit and miss.

Good luck with your decision and outcome.

You are spot on. I have considered waiting for the second batch to see if Hattons iron out the niggles. But a few of the Freightliner variants in batch one are some of my favourites and many of them I have seen in Yorkshire for several years. So if I waited for a second batch, it's likely these numbers won't be repeated. 

I think I will be fine removing the body, it's the worry I will have removing it and trying to refit it without damaging the model at all. If the bodyshell was more easily removable and if their was less detailing around the top of the chassis near the bodyshell I would be more confident to buy the models in the first place. It's just the last thing I want to do is to buy these super detailed models but then damage them in the process. So yes, again you are spot on, sometimes the niggles and inconveniences can put me off of buying some models. 

But to put this in context as YesTor has mentioned with more and more detailing on models it's inevitable that either some parts will arrive lose in the box or that customers manage damage the models over time when removing bodyshells, removing models from the track, cleaning models etc. So that said should I really let the potential damage of detailing and models put me off of the 66s? Probably not. 

Thank you and I will post my decision in due course. 

8 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

At the moment, I'm sat on the fence with the Hattons 66s. Some have arrived with detailing and axle boxes loose, axle boxes have fallen off when running in some cases and their are some issues with refitting the bodyshells with regards to detailing potentially able to come lose and fall off or become damaged in the process.

With regard to the handrails/steps, to be honest I cannot personally see how the design could be changed on future batches, as in fairness it does to me look as though these have been designed for maximum prototypical appearance, which from what I can see has been captured very well.  It has to be considered that this detailing part needs to be fixed to both the body and the chassis, which on a design such as the Class 66 is always going to create a challenge, because as modellers we of course will need to separate body from chassis at some point.  One option that occurred to me would be to perhaps carefully remove the step/rail assembly from the bodyshell and simply glue the exposed handrails into the handrail holes on the main chassis, so effectively the step assembly is no longer attached to the bodyshell at all.  You might need to trim a very small slither of plastic from the top of the step moulding to achieve a neat alignment.  Overall I can't imagine the appearance would be quite as good as the model is supplied, however it may make future disassembly sessions less traumatic.  At the end of the day you sometimes have to look at a model and decide if and how you can change/improve things to suit. 

Anyway, when all is said and done I would simply say, go for it.  Why not simply buy one model and see if you like it?  What is the worst that can happen?  Okay, you could potentially receive a model that you aren't satisfied with for any of the reasons mentioned previously, in which case simply return for a refund or exchange.  You don't even have to pay for return postage, so what is there to lose...?  ;)

cheers

Al

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

How powerful is the haulage capacity of the Hattons 66 compared to the Bachmann 66? I have watched some videos online and the Hattons 66 certainly does appear to have the capability of hauling heavier and longer trains compared to the Bachmann 66. I just wanted to hear what your thoughts are on this and if you have run your Hattons 66 with any stock yet. 

Thank you for all of the help and information so far. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Unfortunately I am unable to comment on haulage capacity, as at present my layout is still in track planning stage and basically consists of several individual boards awaiting assembly.  All I have at present is a short run of track and rolling road for testing purposes.  That said, it is an incredibly heavy model (something resembling a large brick, to be technical) :D   ...and when run-in is indeed very smooth and quiet.  Hopefully someone else can enlighten on actual haulage qualities.

cheers

Al

• Thanks 1

If you have a Heljan Western, then its better than that - which means a HUGE capacity!!

Those videos with 24 Pullman coaches (?) are a good indication, and I would say that's relatively easy for it - should exceed 33 I would guess.

I had and sold on my Bachmann to replace with the Hattons.

Bachmann was a superb runner, but the Hattons has a quieter operation, with obviously more haulage power.

I cannot 'side-by-side' as as I said, the Bachmann moved engine sheds ...

The Hattons 66 is both powerful and unless powered to full power, always very quiet.

I've been VERY impressed with mine, with only one axlebox being wayward needing a little attention every few hours' operation.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/02/2020 at 10:22, daz9284 said:

Just had a closer look and I hold my hands up and appologise for being wrong. There isn't any difference in the headlight sizes but the size of the LED on the marker/tail light is smaller on the original low emission varients, and on the original spec 66's the marker/tail LED is the same size as the headlight.

sorry again

No need to apologise. I’m just hoping Hattons decide to do that variant in future. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/02/2020 at 20:31, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I for one think you pay your money and take the chances,if theres an issue with anything new you have the years warranty and return it for another or refund if its not available

I would suppose if its a chassis issue on a sound fitted one then they would be able to swop out the sound parts to another here in house as theres plenty of the basic ones still not sold out.

Same to those wanting sound in sold out models as it was done by leggobiff its only a tenner more to get it from them direct and fit it yourself.

I think they would have done better also releasing Biffa as was as theres more would have probably wanted it three window unless you model bang up to date,its not sold out it seems.

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate it. 

That's very true and I could send them back if I wasn't happy with them, but I am just wanting to gain as much information before spending any money on them. If I have a better understanding of the positives and negatives with the models, I will not be overly disappointed if their are faults when they arrive, especially with some faults been fairly widespread, for example the axle boxes becoming lose and falling off of the models and the models wobbling. This is the main reason for me been sat on the fence, because whilst on one hand I do understand that the more detailing and features we have on models the more of a chance that their is of it falling off, thus becoming damaged. But, at the same time the standard 66s are £150 and Hattons did list in the original specifications that their would be working rotating axle boxes and their was no mention of models that would wobble. I understand and appreciate that the latter wasn't intentional but still the models are £150 each. I have to say though at times like this especially it's excellent to be a member on sites like this in which customers can share experiences of models and potentially customers alike myself can weigh up the pros and cons of a model, in order to make an informed decision about whether to buy or not. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

19 hours ago, YesTor said:

With regard to the handrails/steps, to be honest I cannot personally see how the design could be changed on future batches, as in fairness it does to me look as though these have been designed for maximum prototypical appearance, which from what I can see has been captured very well.  It has to be considered that this detailing part needs to be fixed to both the body and the chassis, which on a design such as the Class 66 is always going to create a challenge, because as modellers we of course will need to separate body from chassis at some point.  One option that occurred to me would be to perhaps carefully remove the step/rail assembly from the bodyshell and simply glue the exposed handrails into the handrail holes on the main chassis, so effectively the step assembly is no longer attached to the bodyshell at all.  You might need to trim a very small slither of plastic from the top of the step moulding to achieve a neat alignment.  Overall I can't imagine the appearance would be quite as good as the model is supplied, however it may make future disassembly sessions less traumatic.  At the end of the day you sometimes have to look at a model and decide if and how you can change/improve things to suit. 

Anyway, when all is said and done I would simply say, go for it.  Why not simply buy one model and see if you like it?  What is the worst that can happen?  Okay, you could potentially receive a model that you aren't satisfied with for any of the reasons mentioned previously, in which case simply return for a refund or exchange.  You don't even have to pay for return postage, so what is there to lose...?  ;)

cheers

Al

Thank you again for the useful information. I really appreciate it. 

Yes I may buy one model and potentially order more (quickly), before they sell out so that I could have more than one 66, if I was happy with the first one. The free postage option for returns is good and thus as customers we don't incur the excess costs of faulty or damaged models. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

19 hours ago, YesTor said:

Unfortunately I am unable to comment on haulage capacity, as at present my layout is still in track planning stage and basically consists of several individual boards awaiting assembly.  All I have at present is a short run of track and rolling road for testing purposes.  That said, it is an incredibly heavy model (something resembling a large brick, to be technical) :D   ...and when run-in is indeed very smooth and quiet.  Hopefully someone else can enlighten on actual haulage qualities.

cheers

Al

Thanks for posting. You will have to keep us updated on the progress and development of your layout. 

I picked up one of the original Bachmann 66s a few weeks ago and it felt really light. I bet the Hattons 66 would weight the equivalent of two or three of the original Bachmann 66s, so it's a considerable improvement to what we have become accustomed to over the past few years. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

9 hours ago, atom3624 said:

If you have a Heljan Western, then its better than that - which means a HUGE capacity!!

Those videos with 24 Pullman coaches (?) are a good indication, and I would say that's relatively easy for it - should exceed 33 I would guess.

I had and sold on my Bachmann to replace with the Hattons.

Bachmann was a superb runner, but the Hattons has a quieter operation, with obviously more haulage power.

I cannot 'side-by-side' as as I said, the Bachmann moved engine sheds ...

The Hattons 66 is both powerful and unless powered to full power, always very quiet.

I've been VERY impressed with mine, with only one axlebox being wayward needing a little attention every few hours' operation.

Al.

Hi Al, 

Thank you for the reply and the useful information. I really appreciate it. 

A rake of that many coaches been hauled by one loco is excellent. To put that in context then I have a Dapol 68 that can manage more than 20+ of the Dapol IOA wagons, so it's at least got the haulage capacity of the Dapol 68, if not more. That's a massive positive for me, because I have found that my original Bachmann 66s produced many years ago can only haul a short rake of wagons because they just don't have the capacity to haul anything heavier or stronger. This is something that I want to change, especially with the exceptional range of OO wagons that are been produced at the moment by manufacturers, which means that many of my trains are becoming longer and heavier. 

It's also excellent that the Hattons 66 is so quiet. Some of my original Bachmann 66s are a bit noisy when running, which does become quite irritating sometimes, especially after a while. I would definitely overlook one axle box falling off, so again that's another positive for me as someone considering buying them. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2020 at 15:34, woodenhead said:

I don't think there is any doubt that it is a fault and I don't think Hattons have ever said otherwise.

I can't agree though that Hattons' motivation is "obligation." 

Call me niave but I believe Hattons would be just as helpful even if they weren't so obligated.  That was my experience of Hattons many years before consumer rights became law.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The second shipment of our highly anticipated Class 66 models (comprising of codes H4-66-001 to H4-66-031) are expected to be in stock by the end of March 2020. This includes Digital ready, Digital fitted and Digital sound fitted models.

We will provide an update on delivery for models H4-66-032 to H4-66-037 as soon as we can.

You can pre-order available versions on THIS page of our website.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

I'm in one of the departments within our company which travel a lot during the year, and we've just announced that there's no further international travel to, or visits from other offices until further favourable clarity and progress has been observed.

It is a fast developing situation as you state which has to be handled in a responsible manner.

Let's hope that it is contained sooner rather than later, and we can return to the lives as we knew them ... including receiving the back-ordered locomotives!

Obviously it will be hoped that better containment procedures are clarified with an increased rate of cure from this dreadful virus.

Good luck and best wishes to all.

Al.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...