Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Well quite, frankly the ending(s) didn't bother me but I'm aware it's a bone of contention for many.

Yep, I'm afraid I was one of those who was left feeling very unhappy with it. That's why I've a bit more time for ME: Andromeda - it had its fair share of flaws (including a plot that appeared to have had no thought put in to it) but it managed to not actually annoy me.

What ME3 had going for it was the Javelin :) A large proportion of my multiplayer time has been spent using that.

43 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Yep, I'm afraid I was one of those who was left feeling very unhappy with it.

All those hours of gameplay. All those decisions.

Could have skipped the whole lot for a quick game of 'Red, Green, Blue. Pick one'

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 30801 said:

All those hours of gameplay. All those decisions.

Could have skipped the whole lot for a quick game of 'Red, Green, Blue. Pick one'

It wasn't just that though (not that that helped, and those decisions did influence which you could pick and what the consequence of them was). Building a magic "we win" button was always going to be a bit face-palming, at least one option I found utterly repellent, and "hmm, this one looks too good, need to throw in some negatives just because" I found rather offensive.

Really ME2 should've been about finding the means to defeat the Reapers and ME3 about using it to actually do so (ME1 about discovering the threat, which it was to a degree, even if the final result was "what you did meant the Reapers just had to take a slightly longer diversion.")

Looking at it all plot-wise Bioware don't seem all that great, their strength being much more in character and worldbuilding.

For myself, as someone very fond of Legion (and consequently the Geth as sentient beings) as well as many of the "Organics" there was only really one option in the end that allowed continuity of species. 

I understand many player's frustration at the apparent cop-out of the endings but I'm of the opinion that that's what they wrote so that's what it is. Loved the journey so much, maybe I should feel cheated but no, I'm accepting of story devices outside my control.

Similarly, I was vehemently unapologetic for the content of the Preservation Group newsletter I was Editor of, my reasoning being the post was up for election every 12 months so anyone was free to do it themselves if they so wished.

So whilst I might suggest something that could help an art form be more appealing to me, I'd never demand it, or be overly critical of the choices of the creator.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium

Killing off the geth with the Destroy ending was, IMO, a blatant example of throwing in contrived arbitrary negative consequences to make the other options look good (options I found very disturbing in their implications). I also found the (some form of) heroic self-sacrifice out of tone with the general story (despite a few examples like Kaidan / Ashley and Mordin) and again, contrived. Doesn't mean I'm automatically against it where it works - Arthur Morgan's story in RDR2 for example, but it didn't there. All IMO of course.

The geth were very interesting and there's a lot that could be explored with the idea of mixing, fragmenting consciousness.  How such a thing would view the world, how it would think, how it would identify. It sounds entirely plausible and utterly impossible to get inside the head of, which is why I think there's still masses of good science fiction to be written exploring it. It's a great example of a plausible yet utterly alien intelligence, one that isn't just being random to seem alien but is genuinely completely different to us.

Desperately attempting to avoid spoilers...

I suppose if a player had already doomed the Geth and hadn't formed a team bond with EDI, then perhaps Synthetics might not matter much to them.

Synthesis just seemed abhorrent to me and somewhat contrary to what my Shep had been fighting for, specifically some of what Cerberus and the Illusive Asshat had been doing. 

Which left me with door number three. Perhaps a "victory" or justification of the Reapers existence to some, I saw it more as Galactic security without the blanket genocide of an unfeeling AI every 50 millenia.

The last DLC I have acquired (and I believe the only trilogy bolt-on I've not yet played) is the Extended Cut. Which I'm guessing includes the ending resulting from multiplayer points accrual.

The fact players will gladly discuss at length their own reasoning behind which ending they chose, makes me wonder why it's criticised so harshly by some. 

C6T.

(Forgot about the actual none of the above option, which at the time didn't seem much of an option at all, but...oh crap, time to play it again!) 

Edited by Classsix T

2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

The last DLC I have acquired (and I believe the only trilogy bolt-on I've not yet played) is the Extended Cut. Which I'm guessing includes the ending resulting from multiplayer points accrual.

It gives you the option of door number four. The 'Meh, just let everybody die' option. Shepard does nothing.

2 hours ago, 30801 said:

It gives you the option of door number four. The 'Meh, just let everybody die' option. Shepard does nothing.

Yuh, I didn't poop my pants fending off Banshees for that thankyouverymuch.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Desperately attempting to avoid spoilers...

I suppose if a player had already doomed the Geth and hadn't formed a team bond with EDI, then perhaps Synthetics might not matter much to them.

Synthesis just seemed abhorrent to me and somewhat contrary to what my Shep had been fighting for, specifically some of what Cerberus and the Illusive Asshat had been doing. 

Which left me with door number three. Perhaps a "victory" or justification of the Reapers existence to some, I saw it more as Galactic security without the blanket genocide of an unfeeling AI every 50 millenia.

Yes, Synthesis is abhorrent but I found Control not that much better, and from watching the Control endings on YouTube very suspicious. And like I said the big bang power surge that was capable of somehow analysing software and destroying everything that could have the label "AI" applied was badly contrived negativity just because we can't have too good an outcome. If you must kill off a character do it well - worked for Mordin (one of my favourites too, and yes I know he can survive).

The fact players will gladly discuss at length their own reasoning behind which ending they chose, makes me wonder why it's criticised so harshly by some.

People often discuss things they really, really dislike. You only have to look at various political issues to see that... (no examples, let's not fall foul of the no politics rule!) Things that generate harsh criticism generate much more discussion than things that get praised.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 30801 said:

BTW if you haven't already have you asked Amazon Alexa 'Does this unit have a soul?'

For the benefit of someone without one and with no intention of getting one, what does it say?

6 minutes ago, Reorte said:

For the benefit of someone without one and with no intention of getting one, what does it say?

"Keelah se'lai, my friend."

• RMweb Premium

A bit of an "oh dear" moment last night whilst playing Elite: Dangerous. NPC ships get given random names from a list, presumably one compiled several years ago. So I saw one labelled "Cruise ship" with the name "Pristine Corona."

11 minutes ago, Reorte said:

A bit of an "oh dear" moment last night whilst playing Elite: Dangerous. NPC ships get given random names from a list, presumably one compiled several years ago. So I saw one labelled "Cruise ship" with the name "Pristine Corona."

The original BBC Elite used pseudo randomly generated names for the planets to avoid having a bit list in memory. They then had go through cycles of reading through the whole lot and each time they saw one that was inappropriate change the seed value and start again.

So, the credits are running on Watch Dogs: Legion, sigh.

You got a friend you like to spend some time with, not too much mind you? The occasional visit, because if you spent any length of time with them, you'd probably kill them? That's WDL. A great action, stealthy, shooter and a buggy, glitch ridden, poorly scripted, voice acted arse. 

Suffice it to say, you know the bit in 2001 A Space Odyssey when Dave has to shut down Hal? Kinda sad. WDL's Bagley, I'm stabbing at the triangle button shouting at the TV, "Kill him, I really don't have a problem!"

7/10, as a third person open arena version of a Deus Ex-esque stealthy/shooty hack-em-up I loved it. But it really could've been so much better with more time and effort put into it. A real shame.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Premium

I will go PS5 whichever comes soonest

1) A game I want is exclusive.

2) I get a new TV.

As Destiny works fine and next Horizon is cross generation OK for a year or so.

My TV is only about 11-12 years old and works perfectly. It is full HD.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, MJI said:

I will go PS5 whichever comes soonest

1) A game I want is exclusive.

2) I get a new TV.

As Destiny works fine and next Horizon is cross generation OK for a year or so.

My TV is only about 11-12 years old and works perfectly. It is full HD.

I was going to wait for GT7, but when i was able to get one pre-ordered from Argos, i couldn't resist.

A 4K TV is next on my list, hopefully before Christmas. I wont be breaking the bank for it as it is only for the PS5. The 32" full HD Hannspree i'm using at the minute is still good after almost 10 years use, but I might as well upgrade the whole setup. I'm looking at a 43" Hisense which can do 60fps for £299 and according to reviews is excellent for the price.

10 minutes ago, MJI said:

2) I get a new TV.

I want a TV with about ten HDMI sockets.

My current one has four. There are another three on my Sony sound base but the software & switching on that is garbage.

Of the four sockets on the TV only the first two support HDR and I have three HDR devices. My TV helpfully says I should plug the Xbox into HDMI 1 or 2 _every_ time I turn it on.

I tried the Xbox with an HDMI switch but I keep getting flickering & blank screens.

Grr

• RMweb Gold

I’ve always had playstations, although never quite got around to buying a PS4 (mostly due to there never being a game released that I must have.). Now getting awfully tempted to place an order for an Xbox X.  I really like the sound of their game pass programme spreading the cost of the hardware and having access to a Netflix style repository of games.   Once lockdown has passed I look forward to being able to try out a friends X and see how I get on with it.  I was never a huge fan of the older Xbox controller, but now the PS controller is so different to what I’m used to maybe it’s worth another go.

need to get the new TV ordered first though!