The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

• RMweb Premium

I did thoroughly enjoy Uncharted, my PS4 is the blue Nathan Drake ltd edition, but think the games only came really good with the stealthy playability of 4.

Plus Naughty Dog surpassed them all with The Last of Us, a masterpiece, its sequel is eagerly anticipated.

C6T.

Great games 2 is favourite as I found the sword fight in 4 difficult compared to wall hanging the main boss in 2.

OK UC4 first game I had to use a boy to get through compared to doing it myself.

Not sure I follow, PS Move and the like? Never used it.

My arms ached after Heavy Rain's frankly bizarre Dance Dance Revolution-esque combat interface.

I could never get on with most beat 'em up button mashing for combo's, but at least you could learn them, not have to follow on screen prompts.

(Mortal Kombat on the Game Gear and Amiga was rather more civilised, two buttons and the d-pad.)

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Premium

I did thoroughly enjoy Uncharted, my PS4 is the blue Nathan Drake ltd edition, but think the games only came really good with the stealthy playability of 4.

Plus Naughty Dog surpassed them all with The Last of Us, a masterpiece, its sequel is eagerly anticipated.

C6T.

I wish The Last of US had a port for the PC. 

I wish The Last of US had a port for the PC.

I'm sure many did. Sony were smart enough to ensure it was PlayStation exclusive.

Forza aside, no other platform has offered me a game I've desired more than PlayStation has delivered.

C6T.

• RMweb Premium

Games like Heavy Rain and The Last of Us remind me that at some point I want to replace my burnt out original PS3 with a current/secondhand slim one.

Games like Heavy Rain and The Last of Us remind me that at some point I want to replace my burnt out original PS3 with a current/secondhand slim one.

Ian, the girth has nothing to do with it, replacing a knackered PS3 can bring nothing but joy, especially with the two masterpieces you've mentioned.

C6T.

Additionally, if you upgrade to PS4, you've the option of the remastered Last of Us and the Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls duo collection.

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure many did. Sony were smart enough to ensure it was PlayStation exclusive.

Forza aside, no other platform has offered me a game I've desired more than PlayStation has delivered.

C6T.

There are some games that are exclusive on the PlayStation for a certain time then get ported after the time is up. Everybody's Gone To The Rapture is an example of this.

• RMweb Premium

C6T.

Sony own the studio so are able to control where it goes.

Oh and Uncharted used so much PS3 power it would have been impossible to port to the other console without a big graphical downgrade.

There are some games that are exclusive on the PlayStation for a certain time then get ported after the time is up. Everybody's Gone To The Rapture is an example of this.

But when the studio is part of Sony Computer Entertainment, why would they?

Not sure I follow, PS Move and the like? Never used it.

My arms ached after Heavy Rain's frankly bizarre Dance Dance Revolution-esque combat interface.

I could never get on with most beat 'em up button mashing for combo's, but at least you could learn them, not have to follow on screen prompts.

(Mortal Kombat on the Game Gear and Amiga was rather more civilised, two buttons and the d-pad.)

C6T.

I only used it for shooters.

Sony own the studio so are able to control where it goes.

Oh and Uncharted used so much PS3 power it would have been impossible to port to the other console without a big graphical downgrade.

But when the studio is part of Sony Computer Entertainment, why would they?

I only used it for shooters.

Well, indeed, Naughty Dog are tied to SCE (Sony Computer Entertainment) then, as a wholly or partly owned concern? Much like Polyphony I guess..?

The availability of Uncharted, Last of Us and Jak and Daxter (couldn't get on with those BTW, Ratchet and Clank for me) PSN avatars kinda answers my own question.

I have to fess-up wgt shooters. I've never really gained satisfaction from first person perspective ones. Yes I enjoyed MoH Frontline, Half-life 2 (including the ridiculous amount of ordinance Dr. Freeman was able to cart around unimpeded, hi GTA!) and either of the Snipe-'em-ups (anyone remember Silent Scope for PS2? What a bag of crap!) but third person for me wins every time.

Deus-Ex does it differently, changing seamlessly between the two, but much like I prefer driving games with the camera behind the car, I favour third person because of the peripheral vision is affords. Skyrim is quite clever in offering either.

C6T.

BTW fellow gamers, it occurred to me today we might be able to expand happiness through modern tech' if maybe anyone is after PSN friends (or the Xbox equivalent) to play online with to do it through this thread.

Don't post your network details on this thread directly as that opens all sorts of abuses, possibly. PM's could work though if people were happy to receive such.

I myself have the same "handle" on RMWeb and both PS3 and 4 networks, but with slightly different punctuation. I'd love to merge my 3&4 accounts but can't remember the passwords!

I'll kick your ass at Rory McIlroy golf but apparently I totally suck at Golf Club 2!

C6T.

Another great PS4 story driven game is until dawn. Such an amazing game and for the first time every decision counts. A friend of mine managed to save 5 people on his. I only managed 1. Apparently last of us part 2 will be showcased at E3 this year with gameplay for the first time. Hopefully we might also hear more about days gone as well.

Big jakes

Good heads-up there James, thank you. I'll look out for those titles.

I used to buy Official PlayStation magazine religiously back in the day, mainly for playable demo's I guess, but these days rely on instinct for games, at a pre-owned price point that it's often worth a punt.

C6T.

Another great PS4 story driven game is until dawn. Such an amazing game and for the first time every decision counts. A friend of mine managed to save 5 people on his. I only managed 1. Apparently last of us part 2 will be showcased at E3 this year with gameplay for the first time. Hopefully we might also hear more about days gone as well.

Big jakes

I watched my son playing this, he managed to get pretty much everyone killed off pretty quickly.

The VR  game Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood is a fun bit of nonsense - or a nonsense bit of fun. Shows the VR capabilities off pretty well - it is possible to get the physical feeling of being on a rollercoaster to the point of feeling  your stomach lurching around on the uphill and downhill bits

. Some great jump scares too if you are into that kind of thing.

• RMweb Premium

I do like the Destiny series, great for shooting aliens in the face.

My favourite ever shooter was Killzone 3, played it almost every day for 2.5 years. I was around top 1500 when I backed off playing it (some decent PS4 games helped).

My best ever KDRs were 36-0 Scrapyard when in an Exoskeleton, I was OK because there had been a HUGE influx of COD players on the free trial and no one had a rocket launcher. And 31-2 with 30 streak on Blood Gracht playing as a Marksman and sniping the other team.

Both games I ran out of time but was doing well.

As I find controllers slightly awkward for FPS I was happy to use Move on KZ3, actually I never used the controller except on Beta for movement until the navigation one arrived. I had mouse like control in my right hand with a trigger to shoot, and a mini controller in my left hand for movement. Best of all worlds.

I literally pointed at an enemy on screen and pulled the trigger, dead enemy, the top sniper was a one hit kill.

• RMweb Premium

I watched my son playing this, he managed to get pretty much everyone killed off pretty quickly.

The VR  game Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood is a fun bit of nonsense - or a nonsense bit of fun. Shows the VR capabilities off pretty well - it is possible to get the physical feeling of being on a rollercoaster to the point of feeling  your stomach lurching around on the uphill and downhill bits

. Some great jump scares too if you are into that kind of thing.

On the VR front Lone Echo was good despite getting a little repetitive towards the end. Subnautica looks great in VR (although has some UI issues), but I never dared play it for long in VR, it can make me jump enough on the monitor and would probably give me a heart attack in VR! Most of the time nothing particularly scary happens so when it does... Elite: Dangerous works much better in VR than on the monitor, with again just a few UI issues (the maps need a bit of tweaking).

I avoid too much rollercoaster-like stuff in VR, just running around can make me feel a bit queasy.

Old Skool gamers might like to know, the compendium of Mega Drive games that was ported to PS3 will be expanded and released for PS4 on May 29th.

Some 50 games for an RRP around 25 notes, can't be bad.

C6T.

years ago we got a megadrive given to us, it got plenty of use with sonic, streets of rage and golden axe, can still remember having to go through the channels on the tv to find the one it worked on, there were a few other games but i cant remember and the megadrive went with one of my brothers to his flat but cant remember if it ended up back over here since then.

something else though watching my brothers spend ages playing the original dragon warrior monsters on an emulator

such nostalgia

• RMweb Gold

What's the general consensus with regards the VR headset. I've been pondering it for a while now, but I'm worried that it's largely a gimmick, something Nintendo might have done. Doe sit add the next level of depth? Are the games to a similar quality as the big screen based titles?

Sell it to me?......or not?

• RMweb Premium

What's the general consensus with regards the VR headset. I've been pondering it for a while now, but I'm worried that it's largely a gimmick, something Nintendo might have done. Doe sit add the next level of depth? Are the games to a similar quality as the big screen based titles?

Sell it to me?......or not?

I've got an Oculus Rift. If that's a mistake it's mostly because of the Facebook connection, so if that bothers you...

VR can add quite a bit of depth an immersion, albeit with some restrictions on the type of game  - they don't work so well for walking around, much better for cockpit-types, which is why I think Elite: Dangerous works rather better in VR. I'd love a VR train simulator. The games are currently a bit limited, although there are a few gems. The market simply isn't big enough I suppose, and since the hardware is expensive itself, as well as requiring an expensive machine to drive it well, that's quite a barrier. Electronics being electronics though it's probably reasonable to expect that to drop quite a bit if it's seen as a success, but it'll always put more demand on hardware simply because it inevitably means twice as much to render (and needs high frame rates).

The current screens are a bit on the low resolution side, which leaves the technology feeling not completely mature yet, which probably isn't a surprise for the first generation of these headsets. You can see the individual pixels easily enough, although it's not as distracting as it sounds when things get busy.

I get a bit of a feeling that the initial wave of enthusiasm is waning; it could turn out to be another passing gimmick like 3D TV was, but IMO it offers more than that. Initial enthusiasm and excitement about anything will always be a bit over the top though. At present it seems like it might descend into being a small niche, but then again I'm generally a pessimist, so take that on board with this post, I'm still glad I bought it.

Last year at least there were places that were doing demos of both the Rift and Vive, so if you can find one near you that's worth a shot.

Do the assembled rate online reviews at all, and if so, from whom in particular?

I've a mind to buy Detroit Become Human on Friday as I've a four day weekend. Not played Beyond: Two Souls yet but on the basis of general consensus of it and my enjoyment of Heavy Rain, it's not likely to be a lemon from Quantum Dream, is it?

I've been burned in the past, friends. Knowing what I do now, I'd've likely not bought brand new release date copies of:

Assetto Corsa, good game but it ain't Gran Turismo and the auto gearbox sucks.

No Man's Sky, see previous posts!

Uncharted Lost Legacy, though to be fair the stunted amount of play time was reflected in the price. And I like Naughty Dog. And Claudia Black. A lot.

I know at my age I should just wait for the games to drip feed into the pre-owned market, but sometimes we all want something unsullied by another's hand, tearing off that cellophane is soooo good!

C6T.

Just to pop in and say hello, follow the topic and such. Cut my teeth making mods for Battlefield 2 when EA were nice, still an avid gamer when time permits, and a good excuse to upgrade the rig for "work purposes" :P Company of Heroes 1 & 2 games of choice of a friday evening, and I'm dreadful for random purchases on Steam and giving things a go. Nice to see railway modellers are a broad church!

RM. 

• Like 2

...when EA were nice...

Oof! So many questions, so little time!

"...so what exactly was it EA that decided for you that Mass Effect, a licence to print money, respected and much loved franchise, was to become an online only cash-cow with no DLC for single players? Literally destroying everything the Trilogy set up?"

Are you gonna eff up the Need for Speed franchise...ah, work in progress!

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold

I started with a Binatone and then a ZX81 - the 1k only version - but it did have a great 1k space-invader game that my dad used to type the m/c in for hours as saving programs was ok - it was just that it wouldn't load them again!!! Thanks again dad.  ;)

Then it was a succession of 8bit micros - Lynx, Dragon32, Einstein. With the CP/M Einstein being by far the best. (I wrote software and made I/O interfaces for it and wrote a lot of Z80 assembly.) Then PCs there after.

Memorable games :- Lemmings, Chucky-Egg, Wolfenstein 3D/Doom - all of them, Elite and finally Master Of Orion. Master Of Orion being me absolute all time favourite game.

Then a loooooooooong break whilst I got on with life....

Now I have just started playing Fortnite (so I can speak to my son!) and have got into it. I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned it.

(I recently bought Elite for the Xbox but never got into that.

Kev.