Warning on Soldering irons

A quick warning about the current spate of cheap soldering irons on Ebay. a lot of the cheapest come with a US style two pin plug, and the suggestion to use with a travel adaptor in the UK.

What they fail to clearly mention is that they are 110volts, not 220/240 volts and run at twice the rating.

On one or two listings they do refer to the adaptor not altering the voltage, but it is very wrong to supply the wrong type.

Personally, I noticed at once it was too hot and wired it via an SCR circuit to reduce the UK mains to 110 volts.

The nuisance is returning to China but even a Uk based distributor is selling these.

With the controller in line, they do make nice low melt soldering irons, and other than the element rating are well made.

Stephen.

Further checking on Bang good and Ebay shows this problem is getting more widespread. The Chinese get away with LED lamps at the wrong voltage, as the electronics inside can cope with a wide range. But soldering irons must have ratings adhered to, or they burn out very rapidly indeed.

The SCR circuits mentioned are light dimmers or power controllers from Ebay, not a home built unit. As the irons are low wattage any type above the irons rating will do. If you do not fancy making a case, there are self-contained units with a UK socket on the front, just plug in

The reason I wanted several irons was to deal with the many soft solder types and leaving the tip tinned with the right type of solder to prevent cross-contamination.

Stephen

Many years ago I converted a 110v heated tray to 240v by wiring a diode in series, so that it ran on half wave.

(Sins of youth!)

Always be wary of anything with an American plug!  :O   :no:

Edited by Il Grifone

Antex always the option for me

Andy

It always was for me too, but some of the bits are absolute rubbish. I thought it was due to 'pattern parts', but the bit on the last one I bought wasn't up to much either.

Edited by Il Grifone

It always was for me too, but some of the bits are absolute rubbish. I thought it was due to 'pattern parts', but the bit on the last one I bought wasn't up to much either.

The bits on cheap irons aren't any better.  I had one that melted away almost as rapidly as the solder!

As for Antex, my 15w iron is now over 40 years old and still has lots of life in its original bit...

... this problem is getting more widespread. The Chinese get away with LED lamps at the wrong voltage, as the electronics inside can cope with a wide range...

Not my FiL's bulkhead style security light last autumn! This lasted about a month (probably two light up events per night as the fox strolled by) until thoroughly frying the control unit. The installing electrician took some persuading as it had come in a 240V box with full - well written - destructions enclosed and appeared kosher. But once I had it apart the rear of the single board was clearly marked for North American 110V operation.

• RMweb Premium

A quick warning about the current spate of cheap soldering irons on Ebay. a lot of the cheapest come with a US style two pin plug, and the suggestion to use with a travel adaptor in the UK.

What they fail to clearly mention is that they are 110volts, not 220/240 volts and run at twice the rating.

On one or two listings they do refer to the adaptor not altering the voltage, but it is very wrong to supply the wrong type.

Personally, I noticed at once it was too hot and wired it via an SCR circuit to reduce the UK mains to 110 volts.

The nuisance is returning to China but even a Uk based distributor is selling these.

With the controller in line, they do make nice low melt soldering irons, and other than the element rating are well made.

Stephen.

I read somewhere, that if Chinese made electrical items for the home market, where made to the same standards (efficiency) as for the Western world, then they wouldn't have needed to have built this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Gorges_Dam

Scary thought.

Now if the soldering irons are made to the home market are the ones sold on eBay, without the required European standards, then this is presumably what you get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmIOrCdh9pI

But seriously, don't use a 110V soldering iron directly from a 240V supply.

It isn’t only soldering irons that cause such problems. One of my junior colleagues in our Glasgow Drawing Office was tasked with finding a cheap electric eraser, which he did. He didn’t check the rating plate when it arrived, just brought a shaver adaptor in from home when it arrived with a two pin plug.

It didn’t work for very long. The smoke also caused an evacuation of a ten storey office block. I wonder why he is still a junior?

Tim T

• Like 1

But even Antex did stupid things. My 12 volt soldering iron made in England has brown, blue and yellow/green wires so I've always kept the label on it saying 'Do Not Connect to Mains Supply'.

The bits on cheap irons aren't any better.  I had one that melted away almost as rapidly as the solder!

As for Antex, my 15w iron is now over 40 years old and still has lots of life in its original bit...

They used to make things properly back then. then along came 'yuppies' and 'cost effectiveness' and similar BS....

Just a very satisfied customer here. This is supplied from the UK, runs on 240 volts and does everything I ask. I got one of these four years ago to replace my trusty but very old Antex (blown transformer) to keep me going until I could get a proper replacement. Never bothered getting the replacement.Good price too.

They used to make things properly back then. then along came 'yuppies' and 'cost effectiveness' and similar BS....

My 90s Antex lasted till very recently then the element went. Original tip too. Every Antex I've bought in the last 5 years has been utter tosh though. I now have a CSI premier, which is a good little temperature controlled station but I'm sure it lies about its wattage. I've now got a Beta gas monster for big stuff that the CSI can't hack.  

Apropos of nothing in particular, I'm reminded of my first deep sea trip, as a very young Engineer Cadet, back in early 1981.

We had sailed to the Mississippi form Lisbon, where I had joined the ship, and we were going to load grain at a terminal a few miles past New Orleans, but would be stopping just before The Big Easy for a Coast Guard inspection and a charterers' Surveyor to inspect our cargo holds to ensure that we were indeed ready to carry the cargo. So, a run ashore was arranged - and to spice it up, it was the first Friday after Mardi Gras, so Bourbon Street was REALLY alive - but I digress...

Anyway, it had been decided, on the voyage across the Atlantic, that a new Music Centre would be purchased for the Officers' Bar, using the bar profits. The Second Engineer and Electrician duly sallied forth to purchase a suitable machine.

Everyone was in the bar to witness the grand switch on. A suitable tape was produced to be the first music to blast out and inserted ready to start, everyone had made sure that their glasses were charged with suitable refreshment and the Electrician switched the thing on...

There was a momentary ear-splitting howl from the speakers, followed by a loud bang from the machine and a plume of thick, acrid smoke vented from the ventilation slots on the case...

Yep, these heroes had forgotten the minor detail of the USA being 120V, and our ship was standard 220-230V...and had therefore not picked up a suitable step-down transformer when they bought the beast...

It took them a VERY long time to live that one down...

• RMweb Premium

Apropos of nothing in particular, I'm reminded of my first deep sea trip, as a very young Engineer Cadet, back in early 1981.

We had sailed to the Mississippi form Lisbon, where I had joined the ship, and we were going to load grain at a terminal a few miles past New Orleans, but would be stopping just before The Big Easy for a Coast Guard inspection and a charterers' Surveyor to inspect our cargo holds to ensure that we were indeed ready to carry the cargo. So, a run ashore was arranged - and to spice it up, it was the first Friday after Mardi Gras, so Bourbon Street was REALLY alive - but I digress...

Anyway, it had been decided, on the voyage across the Atlantic, that a new Music Centre would be purchased for the Officers' Bar, using the bar profits. The Second Engineer and Electrician duly sallied forth to purchase a suitable machine.

Everyone was in the bar to witness the grand switch on. A suitable tape was produced to be the first music to blast out and inserted ready to start, everyone had made sure that their glasses were charged with suitable refreshment and the Electrician switched the thing on...

There was a momentary ear-splitting howl from the speakers, followed by a loud bang from the machine and a plume of thick, acrid smoke vented from the ventilation slots on the case...

Yep, these heroes had forgotten the minor detail of the USA being 120V, and our ship was standard 220-230V...and had therefore not picked up a suitable step-down transformer when they bought the beast...

It took them a VERY long time to live that one down...

A friend of mine's son did something similar. Messing about with his PC one day, he found a mystery switch, wondering what it did, he flicked it across & bang went the PC. Yep, it was a switch marked 110V/240V!

My 90s Antex lasted till very recently then the element went. Original tip too. Every Antex I've bought in the last 5 years has been utter tosh though. I now have a CSI premier, which is a good little temperature controlled station but I'm sure it lies about its wattage. I've now got a Beta gas monster for big stuff that the CSI can't hack.  

We used Antex irons at work (now just a memory :) ). Occasionally we would have an element fail. A replacement element cost nearly as much as a new iron! (and was a pain in the a pig to fit). For little more than the cost of the iron they did a complete soldering kit, so we always bought that.

A friend of mine's son did something similar. Messing about with his PC one day, he found a mystery switch, wondering what it did, he flicked it across & bang went the PC. Yep, it was a switch marked 110V/240V!

Never touch controls unless you know what they do (and then leave them well alone!).

At least PC power supplies aren't very expensive or difficult to replace. Mains transformers are a different matter. They are supposed to have a thermal fuse these days to prevent fires. Unfortunately they are usually non repairable requiring a new transformer, usually either not available or very expensive. (We had a audio system in for repair once. The transformer had gone open circuit (presumably said fuse). Yes, a replacement was available, but at £40 (trade) it meant the repair was definitely not viable.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

I used to own a house in the UK that had 110v outlets

It was previously owned by an American and he had some US electrical equipment.

The 110v sockets were in the living room alongside their 240v counterparts but there was a 240v/110v isolating (e.g. non auto-) transformer under the floor.

I currently have a 240v - 2 x 110v 500VA isolating transformer amongst my swag!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

We used Antex irons at work (now just a memory :) ). Occasionally we would have an element fail. A replacement element cost nearly as much as a new iron! (and was a pain in the a pig to fit). For little more than the cost of the iron they did a complete soldering kit, so we always bought that.

We used Adcola irons, the elements were the barrel of the iron, but they weren't over expensive.

I still use mine from 25years or more ago.

post-6208-0-37672600-1526113681_thumb.jpg

I've got three of them.

They also have high temperature flex which can't be burnt.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I always found it ironic that you needed a soldering iron to replace the element!