RMweb

Petrol prices

mezzoman253

• RMweb Premium

Last week we went to Tesco for shopping, I noticed the price of petrol had gone up to £1.22 from £1.17 the previous month, the last time I'd filled up.

This week it's now £1.27. So 5p in a month, then 5p in a week!! 

Won't be long before the £1.50 barrier will be broken, and become the norm. Very rare for prices to go down.

Anyone in the industry can explain this. We've just been told that inflation was going down, so how is this justified.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Blame president Chump.

Putting sanctions back on Iran means one of the worlds largest producers of crude (maybe even the largest) will not be selling anything like the quantities it has been.  If the rest of OPEC stay with their agreed quotas, there will be something of a shortage coming - and most oil is bought in advance, even if a price hike today means more expensive petrol tomorrow.

Recently there has been a surge in buying large SUVs and trucks brought on by the relatively cheap petrol prices over here and Ford even dropped some of its passenger cars hoping to sell the more expensive truck line.  This scenario has been seen before during a price rise in fuel when more small cars were sold.  This didn't last so when petrol prices came back down, the American public reverted back to uneconomical trucks and SUVs once more.  The main beneficiaries will be imported brands as they were last time.

America, through its shale explorations, now is a major producer, although price rises continue.  As has been said, blame president chump!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

• RMweb Premium

Morrisons in Yeadon £1.13 per litre, Morrisons in Kirkstall £1.20 per litre, Morrisons near the A1 near Knaresborough £1.26 per litre

Come back the late Sir Ken..he sold petrol at all of his filling stations at teh same price!

Baz 

Ihave a new Morrisons fairly local (15 miles south in a direction I frequent). I'm still getting the benefit of 55.7p/litre there,  a tad cheaper than the Morrisons the same distance north, which I don't frquent as much, at 57.9p/litre, or 50-52p/litre from the area supplier 15 miles west (usually an infrequent visit). (That's lpg btw!).

I have noticed that all petrol/diesel prices are creeping up though, glad I rarely have to buy any as I only use it for starting.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I went diesel when prices went sky high the time before last and have stayed with it.

Current motor gets through a tankful roughly every four weeks and the average mpg has never dropped below 52 even driven hard so not too worried.

Gotta Gas Guzzler? Get Rid.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Not that long ago, when this happened it was headline news and refineries were blockaded.

Perhaps people just accept that things have been more uncertain over the last year or two.

Or that wedding thing has kept it off the front pages.

• RMweb Premium

I'm a believer that certain things such as petrol, gas, leccy, water should be sold on a not-for-profit (or very little) basis at the same price wherever you are.  I believe petrol in Malaysia is the same price on motorways or tiny back-street one-pump garages.  Seems to work ok

• RMweb Premium

I can't remember prices at £1.42, I think the highest I've seen in previous years was around £1.20.

So how those figures are derived is puzzling.

Rob

My local tesco has just increased diesel price to £1.26 a few days ago, did return to €1.23 for a few days then back to £1.25.

15 miles away In penzance its usually cheaper but they have more competition..

Edited by kernowtim

Petrol prices here in WA swing wildly and can change by 20c overnight. It's on a weekly cycle and we're told it's due to overseas factors. Strange, then, that the peaks seem to coincide with days when demand will be highest. Thursdays generally, which for most people is still pay/pension/dole day, so folk who've been stretching a tank until they can afford to fill up will be stung.

Diesel is much more stable. There may be a correlation with private user demand being much lower, offering less opportunity for gouging.

On the bright side we still only pay in cents what UK users pay in pence. Doesn't stop folk whingeing incessantly as they pour another thankful into their V8 Falcadore or bloated 4x4 before sitting in a stationary traffic queue on the freeway for an hour or two.

The pound has gained ground on the dollar lately. Any more daft speculation?!

Historic prices here. We’re at a 3.5 year high.

Yep. There was a rapid fall in the value of the pound to the dollar following the EU Referendum result, from around £1.45 to about £1.20 by Jan 17, but then a steady improvement in the pound after Trump entered office, but the GBP to USD rate has dropped from £1.43.4 about 4 weeks ago, to £1.34.6 today. That coincides with the increases in fuel prices but also with forward rates (due to Iran most likely). Daft isn't it?

The Euro has also fallen against the dollar by roughly the same percentage in the last four weeks, and we have seen similar price rises here, especially on diesel, in the same period.

I guess we shall see whether fuel prices fall, if the pound/euro rises again, but somehow I doubt it this time, unless or until things settle down again in the ME.

Edited by Mike Storey

It baffles me why there are not more people turning to LPG. I understand in a few places there might not be a LPG supplier nearby, but for the majority there will be one conveniently situated. There are also sufficient suppliers around such that even on a long journey there will be enough to ensure you never run out of LPG. I also did not see any mention of LPG cars being banned, so come the diesel/petrol ban it might be the only option for those who want a new fossil fuel only car.

It baffles me why there are not more people turning to LPG. I understand in a few places there might not be a LPG supplier nearby, but for the majority there will be one conveniently situated. There are also sufficient suppliers around such that even on a long journey there will be enough to ensure you never run out of LPG. I also did not see any mention of LPG cars being banned, so come the diesel/petrol ban it might be the only option for those who want a new fossil fuel only car.

I converted back in 2000. I can honestly say no problem getting it. In fact as a comparison, if you were to stick to a favourite petrol brand (Shell/Tesco/whatever), then lpg is as easily obtainable. And there are SatNav downloads to pinpoint them.

But we don't want everyone to change to lpg do we? That would mean Govt. taxes transferred to lpg!

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

My local tesco has just increased diesel price to £1.26 a few days ago, did return to €1.23 for a few days then back to £1.25.

15 miles away In penzance its usually cheaper but they have more competition..

Normally 5-10p a lt cheaper. Sometimes cheap enough to justify driving a few miles out of the way on the way home from work.