Arundel Exhibition?

EmporiaSub

I think it merits note that I received a PM from Dakota Dibben two weeks ago stating he felt there were defamatory posts in this topic as they were 'highly inaccurate' with veiled threats of legal action against me personally, the company and the poster concerned.

I responded within 12 hours overnight:

Dakota,

Can you please provide a url link to the post which you are concerned about and confirm to me what parts are inaccurate (and why they are inaccurate) so we can investigate accordingly?

Andy

I have not received any response to that. You can't just wave claims and threats about and not provide substantive information when requested.

• Like 8

Now says 'Up to 15 Layouts' on ukmodelshops

Also says layouts from n to O gauge but all those listed are n or OO/HO

No trade listed

Those 15 layouts are now 12, as Bognor Regis MRC has withdrawn the three it had listed being Wenvoe(Blue Circle); Strathmore LIP and Delta Dock. The only trade expected is Dakota's own items (this based on previous feedback).

Edited by gunner61165

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps the way out of this is to come to an agreement that Mr. Dibben will no longer bother the model railway hobby and in return the model railway hobby won't bother him.

• Like 2

Those 15 layouts are now 12, as Bognor Regis MRC has withdrawn the three it had listed being Wenvoe(Blue Circle); Strathmore LIP and Delta Dock. The only trade expected is Dakota's own items (this based on previous feedback).

On the Negative side no Advertising for BR MRC club then. Losses on both sides.

All I have read here seem to point out that a person organising a small show for a few quid gets all the 'flack'. Does it really matter?? who organises an event....... I have not read anything against the Warner Group, who do take money away from clubs....... Especially when they will not allow a club to hold an event in the same venue only on a diffrent date!!........Please correct me if I'm wrong!!

I looked at the promotions in Model Rail and although MRS could stand for Model Railway Society, I'm sure it was meant to be read as Model Railway Show. I think these events are put on for the public not just modellers, and if they attend and give the organiser a 'profit' then why not put on more of the same events??

You would be Lucky to Break even bud. No suitcases of Cash being whisked away by GLS or such when I ran a few.

A well run show with proper trade, proper advertising,a loyal customer base and with 20 layouts attending, should turn a nice profit/nice contribution to charity.....I know, I've don't it for many years. Time will tell with the DD Exhibitions event, I wish it well, but as already mentioned Bognor Regis Model Railway Club (as a not for profit entity) will not be supporting this event which is clearly being run for the promotors personal gain.

• RMweb Gold

All I have read here seem to point out that a person organising a small show for a few quid gets all the 'flack'. Does it really matter?? who organises an event....... I have not read anything against the Warner Group, who do take money away from clubs....... Especially when they will not allow a club to hold an event in the same venue only on a diffrent date!!........Please correct me if I'm wrong!!

I looked at the promotions in Model Rail and although MRS could stand for Model Railway Society, I'm sure it was meant to be read as Model Railway Show. I think these events are put on for the public not just modellers, and if they attend and give the organiser a 'profit' then why not put on more of the same events??

I think there's a massive difference between Warners putting on a show clearly in their own name (but with the help and benefit of clubs such as 'The Model Railway Club' who help with Ally Pally) and Dekota who also puts on shows for profit but pretends to be a model railway club and hides behind false club names?

I think those on here just want Dekota to be up front, truthful and provide the info on promotional material that he should. My own feeling is that by doing so he could be much more successful. He could for instance develop things so that he helped clubs who feel they are unable to put on their own show themselves to put on a show so both benefit?

• Like 1

I have not read anything against the Warner Group, who do take money away from clubs....... Especially when they will not allow a club to hold an event in the same venue only on a diffrent date!!........Please correct me if I'm wrong!!

So it's OK to make something up and then challenge someone to prove you wrong? What evidence or facts do you have to have made this assertion?

And yes, we do get flak but we also do give to clubs who assist with our events.

Once again not sure where this thread is going? there seems to have been some personality clash in the pass which keeps leading to these threads basically attacking a young, very enthusiastic individual. I have supported Dakota at various shows, I find the shows low key and relaxed, some of the best conversations with non railway modellers have been had at them, the public also seem more relaxed and able to ask (what we may view as silly)questions, at a more "professional" show they may feel inhibited to do so. So Dakota may make a profit, cannot see it as very large given the attendances, but he provides a good shop window on the hobby to people who would not go to a larger show.

• Like 1

I think it merits note that I received a PM from Dakota Dibben two weeks ago stating he felt there were defamatory posts in this topic as they were 'highly inaccurate' with veiled threats of legal action against me personally, the company and the poster concerned.

I have not received any response to that. You can't just wave claims and threats about and not provide substantive information when requested.

Must be my post #5.

Bill

I have commented before on a Dakota Dibben show, and having had first had experience of a show of his, I can offer some insight.

I had no real communication with him leading up to the show. He didn't provide a layout information sheet for me to fill out, and was cagey when I asked about reimbursement (only fuel, a mere £20).

I was not aware that food was offered to exhibitors until I arrived. The catering was provided by his family members, using the kitchen facilities provided in the hall hired for the event. Handmade sandwiches and rolls, crips and cake slices cut in the venue by said members.

He had made no provision for power at my location. I was advised to run an extension lead through the kitchen hatch and in front of a door. Hardly ideal or safe. I refused and found alternative power.

He proceeded to spend the day running his second hand stall and asking all people, exhibitors and visitors, of their chosen vote in the upcoming EU Referendum. I personally don't think a model exhibition is the ideal venue to rant on about politics.

I have since heard a rumour (this is NOT my view, but from a fellow exhibitor) that he organizes these shows as a way to avoid paying trades rates. If the show is his, he can set up his stall for free. His main income is the buying and selling of second hand railway items.

The same gentleman told me that at a different show, he offered a layout to exhibit. He turned up with a plank of wood, covered in butchers fake grass, with a strip of rail on it. No buildings, locos or rolling stock. He then proceeded to set up second hand items for sale around it.

Again, I cannot verify if this is true.

Edited by Robatron86

• RMweb Premium

He proceeded to spend the day running his second hand stall and asking all people, exhibitors and visitors, of their chosen vote in the upcoming EU Referendum. I personally don't think a model exhibition is the ideal venue to rant on about politics.

Stick his name in Farcebook and it'll come up with his "Profile Picture"

With a geat big banner saying "Vote Conservative" underneath.....

• Like 1

Thanks John, your comments about our show (Bognor Regis MRC) are appreciated.  (Adrian - Chairman). To confirm this has nothing to do with us and we are not supporting this show in any way.

I know one of the layouts was still possibly going until recently, but somewhat glad to hear that at least one club has avoided getting involved.

• Like 1

There are a number of small shows that are not run by a formal model railway club.  Indeed, I have put on one of these in the past.  There is an element of "what you see is what you get" and the administration will be less than perfect.

However, these shows usually have stated objectives, so Gellert gives a proportion of his surplus to a named charity and Harry funds his community theatre.  Then the relevant insurance and food hygiene certificates are available for inspection.  Then exhibitors are actually paid their agreed expenses.  There is a feeling at their shows that the organiser is not out to maximise his own profit come what may.

This all means that I am disinclined to attend a show presented by either "DD Productions" of by an Unknown MRS, either as an exhibitor or as a punter.

I wonder whether Dibben, as a trader, has taken out third party insurance.  So I am also dubious about attending any show at which he is trading.  Should I take the risk, however small, that I may incur an injury not covered by insurance?

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A few years ago (quite a few years ago!) I was a co-organiser of the Staines Finescale Show, which raised money for Save The Children Fund. We were quite open about this and benefitted from some quite incredible generosity from exhibitors and traders.

We simply followed the traditional exhibition template, ensuring we had a good venue, high quality layouts and appropriate traders. Exhibitors and stewards were well looked-after and we aimed to have our organisation as good as we could make it. The show had the best insurance we could get and very good first aid cover. It was prior to the need for hygiene certificates but the catering was of high quality and safe.

This needed a team of reliable helpers. The formula seemed to work well and we ran four shows. The run ended because we were not confident we could maintain the standard we'd set ourselves because our helpers were getting older and fewer in number.

I believe it's simply not possible to run a worthwhile exhibition on a casual wing & prayer basis. What I'm hearing about DD exhibitions does concern me.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

A few years ago (quite a few years ago!) I was a co-organiser of the Staines Finescale Show, which raised money for Save The Children Fund. We were quite open about this and benefitted from some quite incredible generosity from exhibitors and traders.

Ah yes, l remember l showed there with the Baron with ZOB triple gauge 'Axalp' and a fine exhibition it was. I got inveigled into parking attendant duties which l failed miserably!

A great show ...sadly missed.

• Like 1

Having attended the show today, a few observations....

Very little signage outside that a show was in progress, other than some A4 posters, that had been there all week.

Admission sales must have been hit and miss as Dakota was in the main hall, on the sole (his) trade stand.

The layouts were on two floors, but no signage to indicate.

Catering, well, standard, and as per the previous comments.

Very much a family run affair.

Shame really as there were some good layouts, 11 in total.

Provided by Brighton MRC, Fareham & District MRC, Worthing MRC, West Sussex N Gauge Group,

NMRA South Shore group, and some other independents.

There appeared to be a reasonable stream of people, a mixture of families and enthusiasts.

Not being a regular visitor to Arundel either, a visit to the Arundel Brewery shop, down in the town centre, was also in order!

Interestingly there is a Business called DD Exhibitions Ltd, based in the Manchester area. I doubt if they have any link with DD Exhibitions within this thread.

Many individuals have spoken with this gentleman, trying to give him advice based on years of organising Club exhibitions. Whether what is undertaken remains the right side of British Law, that would be subject to Legal Action - maybe after an incident took place, which could be food or financial related.

I was informed that the exhibitions are run to provide a means of purchasing somewhere to live. But in HMRC eyes that would be Earned Income so would need to be declared via a yearly Tax Return. oh, the other body whom may have an interest is Trading Standards, if there are misleading or untrue advertised claims being made. Someone mentioned supporting charities, well if that claim is openly used that might interest the charities named and the Charity Commission.

The concern no doubt is the potential impact on established exhibitions, if the Public and Modellers feel they have been short changed by these type of events mention in this thread and decide to avoid Club Events.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1