Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Little Loco Company - Ruston 48DS

The Nth Degree

I am sure the Ruston 48DS will be a popular little loco. Before anyone mentions price, there is an existing 'all complete' kit available [complete with design errors] for £195 or RTR for £395. The ingenuity of design, inclusion of DCC and UK manufacture all add to the value. Look forward to it. 

Dava

I'll second that....

I have two of the original Impetus kits and one of the Electrifying Trains versions but it won't stop me having one...

The CL15 is a winner, has been out on two show layouts at exhibitions over the last two weekends and caused much comment and praise... Was demonstrated a number of times to admirers, ran very smoothly and notably quiet.

A really superb model. Well done LLC... Can't wait for the 48DS....

Just get that Co-Bo out.....

• Like 1

Question for those who have added the transfers using the sheet provided.  Are these as dire as Steve seems to indicate?  The pink film makes them hard to see so difficult to assess.

John

They are not totally bad or useless - a few people have sent me photos of their models with them applied. Some peel away the pink substrate and use them like normal waterslides. For me personally, they are not what I asked for or paid for and I don't like them, and I don't want to supply something that I would not use or buy myself and expect you to be happy with it. It's best we establish this trust and expectation at the outset rather than you as a customer accept something because it's free in the box, and then still have to buy something else to complete your model.

I wanted the model to be complete and for you to not have to buy anything else at all to own a quality finished model, and in my eyes it's not that, so I'll make it right how I originally intended. If you're happy with what's been supplied you still get a free set of transfers to do with as you please.

It's important to me that you know that I would pay with my own money to buy my products because I don't think there's any better endorsement than that.

Thanks, Steve

• Like 5

They are not totally bad or useless - a few people have sent me photos of their models with them applied. Some peel away the pink substrate and use them like normal waterslides. For me personally, they are not what I asked for or paid for and I don't like them, and I don't want to supply something that I would not use or buy myself and expect you to be happy with it. It's best we establish this trust and expectation at the outset rather than you as a customer accept something because it's free in the box, and then still have to buy something else to complete your model.

I wanted the model to be complete and for you to not have to buy anything else at all to own a quality finished model, and in my eyes it's not that, so I'll make it right how I originally intended. If you're happy with what's been supplied you still get a free set of transfers to do with as you please.

It's important to me that you know that I would pay with my own money to buy my products because I don't think there's any better endorsement than that.

Thanks, Steve

Steve,

That is what I call A1 customer service, perhaps over and above; some others could take your lead.

Thank You very much!

Rgds

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

post-13783-0-45869300-1487097325_thumb.jpgHi. If everything works then it should display a photo of my class 15

It's had stage one weathering (brush) but still needs to have some airbrushing on it which is due later this week.

I think Steve has done a superb job with the class 15 and my only miff is the colour which, to me, is a bit light, but it's a superb model and runs a treat (and sounds a treat too!)

Regarding future models, my vote is definitely for the class 22. You cant convert anything into it a class 22 and no-one has ever done one apart from the very poor MTK white metal kit. . Bachmann did a class 24/0 and, with a little work around the headcode, you could convert the Heljan 25 to a good representation of a 24/1. Would also love to see a Metrovick Steve?

Cheers

Chris

• Like 5

attachicon.gifD8240 near yard.JPGHi. If everything works then it should display a photo of my class 15

It's had stage one weathering (brush) but still needs to have some airbrushing on it which is due later this week.

I think Steve has done a superb job with the class 15 and my only miff is the colour which, to me, is a bit light, but it's a superb model and runs a treat (and sounds a treat too!)

Regarding future models, my vote is definitely for the class 22. You cant convert anything into it a class 22 and no-one has ever done one apart from the very poor MTK white metal kit. . Bachmann did a class 24/0 and, with a little work around the headcode, you could convert the Heljan 25 to a good representation of a 24/1. Would also love to see a Metrovick Steve?

Cheers

Chris

Wasnt too happy with that image so here is another

Also needed to tidy up a bit too much grey weathering on the top corner...it's all fine now

Cheers................Chris

post-13783-0-15365300-1487098101_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That's lovely Chris. Did you use the supplied decals for yours?

Paul

Hi Paul

No I didn't,  I used modelmaster waterslide transfers. I actually didn't find the decals in the box until today as they were stuck up inside the lid so they never became detached.

They do look odd with their coloured tint. I had about 6 locos that had been waiting numbering for ages so I did them all in one go. Always a challenge getting the spacing correct but, with a lot of patience, they go come out right.

Now for some serious spray weathering

Cheers............Chris

The actual quote in Hornby Magazine regarding the sound project loaded was:

... created using recordings of the preserved locomotive’s engine and unusual but endearing horns.....

As for video, see this short clip from Klaus a couple of pages back http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82812-little-loco-company/?p=2609501

If it's not obvious, double click on the last image in that post to hear the engine start up and the 'endearing horns' soundng off.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

My 15 has been running in on my rolling road for the last two hours, it runs beautifully. One unforeseen problem, though - my DCC system at home is a simple early Digitrax Zephyr that can only access F0-F9, so I need to look at an upgrade before I can finish playing with the 15's higher sound functions! I like the Zephyr's form factor for the workbench, so maybe a Zephyr Xtra.

I don't usually do wish listing.

HOWEVER, after a big loco (class 24) I hope you go back to a little one.

And I would like you to consider a fireless Loco. They are different, but have very nice outside cylinders and gears. And some interesting charging arrangements could be modelled in a small space on an industrial layout. I have been reminded by some lovely photos in the current Railway Bylines vol 22 part 3 February 2017. Nice colour shot on the cover and pages 114 - 117 of a different design used by Boots, including the steam charging installation. Also if, for example the Koppel on the front was modelled there would be the opportunity for overseas sales.

Paul

• Like 2

Have been enjoying my loco for a number of weeks now, and like others on here, find everything about it just superb, (other manufacturers should take note), one thing - I have not been able to get to work are the red/ rear tail lights to work ( supplied with a DCC chip) can some one advise what I need to do!

Thanks

Nigel

Have been enjoying my loco for a number of weeks now, and like others on here, find everything about it just superb, (other manufacturers should take note), one thing - I have not been able to get to work are the red/ rear tail lights to work ( supplied with a DCC chip) can some one advise what I need to do!

Thanks

Nigel

Nigel,

Although the real locos were fitted with tail lamps, during the 'green diesel' period BR rules requires a separately fitted oil lamp, hence the lamp irons. The electric tail lamps were not used in service so a decision was made to leave the tail lamps as non-working yet otherwise accurate depictions of those that were supplied with the real locos.

If you wish to have operating tail lamps, you will need to add LEDs and the necessary wiring. You will also require another decoder since you will need at least 2 additional Function Outputs for independant directional control, as the current 4 individually controlled white markers at each plus the cab light use up all of the 9 Function Outputs of the ZIMO MX645P22 decoder under the MOROP 'norm' NEM 658.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Hi,

yesterday I took my new little loco and a couple of wagons to the monthly public evening at the club in Cologne. It was real fun to see the train making its way on the large club layout.

I took some more pictures and a new video (click on the last picture) to get another impression of the performance of the Class 15.

Hope you don't mind the continental environment :derisive:

Enjoy

Klaus

32154504823_714167fa3b_b.jpg

32814814502_36877cf41d_b.jpg

32154500383_d0f47598fc_z.jpg

• Like 11