Little Loco Company - Ruston 48DS

The Nth Degree

If I'm reading this correctly (hope the heavily snipped quote remains in context) then you WILL be making the model available through your website 'sales channel'?

I believe you are reading it correctly, the final model will be available through the LLC and "selected retailers" as present.

The crowdfunding option is simply - like other projects we've seen on RMWeb - a way to raise the initial funds to make the project happen, and those who put their money up "blind" as it were without seeing what the final product is get thanked by being able to get the money a bit cheaper than the final retail price.

Without the crowdfunding option, the project would never have gotten off the ground and got to this stage.    So nobody need miss out any more than they might miss out a Heljan release except for not having enough money at the right time .

Of course, as we find out with many crowdfunded projects, a fraction of those who say "yes" actually stump up the cash so there are still many hurdles to overcome - and as nothing's been launched yet, nobody has missed out anyway.

Now that everyone who has read this thread knows that LLC are planning to produce a 50, know how to keep up with the project (join facebook which is free and simple) and will find out how to "pay up" like the rest of us, the only reason anyone has for not getting a crowdfunder price is simply down to their choice and that is nobody's fault but their own.

• Like 3

Well I for one am pleased to see this happening.

The class 50 is my favourite class of Diesel, and after experiencing the class 15 and the standard of build and attention to detail, I'm more than happy to throw my hat in the ring and place orders on-spec.

I'm awaiting details of the liveries, but I'll be happy to see this project happen and get this model to market.

I was also unaware of this project (and I am on facebook - as Trains4U and with a personal account) and was only aware of it when Steve wrote to me.

and within hours, he had written on here to inform everyone else.

I'm disappointed at some of the reactions on here - but its a definite, right-place at the right-time scenario- In hindsight it was obvious that 200 models would sell quickly, even within a relatively small closed group.

Simply having an intention to buy at that price does not entitle people to be rude, just because they were not in the right place at the right time, and lets be honest, had the announcement been embargoed and released to the world simultaneously, they would have sold out in hours, if not minutes, so the chances of getting the model anyway would have been extremely slim in any case. - and then we would have had even greater cries of anguish!

I've no doubt that there are others, who may feel indignant, because they did not get the opportunity via the printed press - or other forums, or the GOG... but we are where we are, and to Steve's point - we will get a model - Made in the UK so I understand - that will almost certainly be of a quality and price that knocks similar offerings out of the park.

I agree that the communications may have been handled with a little more finesse, but I'm sure this can be chalked up to experience, and we can instead perhaps thank those early adopters and look forward to the release of what is destined to be a great model at a fantastic price.

• Like 3

or the GOG

Many O gauge modellers are not members, either by choice or simply because membership does not interest them.  There is a misguided notion that the GoG are the "be all and end all" when it comes to all things O gauge, and it isn't.  You don't need to be a member to be a good O gauge modeller any more than being a member of the Hornby Club makes you a better OO modeller.

In fact, I'd guess that Facebook is far more 'mainstream' than the GoG especially amongst more modern image 7mm modellers.

• Like 4

I might be missing something here but you're already on social media by being on RmWeb. As for your attack on Steve and his Little Loco Company then you are seriously out of order. This isn't a LLC project it is a project started by a good friend of mine who has commissioned LLC to progress the enterprise. Just because it started as a crowdfunding idea doesn't make it any less of a viable project just because it hasn't come from a major manufacturer first. Am I sensing a bit of elitism because it didn't originate from an idea on here? Seriously disappointed with the attacks by people on here against Steve. Instead of being critical why not put your money where your mouth is and see if you can do a better job?

Very Well said Mark, i have to admit that i had a wry giggle at people moaning about the use of Social Media whilst using hmmm Social Media  :no:. The idea of a 7mm Class 50 is something that bubbled around on the group for some time, if i remember correctly the lad who has pushed this idea through to reality even mooted it to Heljan and was promptly shot down by being told that a 50 was a complete non-starter.

Now as a someone who is usually a solid ScotRail modeller i have verbally committed to several locos to help get the project to fruition. I think that the lad in question on Facebook and the LLC deserve far more credit than is being banded around on this forum. I personally cannot wait to get the Sound Equipped loco's fired up for the first time.

• Like 3

Many O gauge modellers are not members, either by choice or simply because membership does not interest them.  There is a misguided notion that the GoG are the "be all and end all" when it comes to all things O gauge, and it isn't.  You don't need to be a member to be a good O gauge modeller any more than being a member of the Hornby Club makes you a better OO modeller.

In fact, I'd guess that Facebook is far more 'mainstream' than the GoG especially amongst more modern image 7mm modellers.

I was simply using it as an example to illustrate my point (as with the magazines and other forums)

I currently have no affiliation with them - as an advertiser, member or otherwise.

• Like 1

.... if i remember correctly the lad who has pushed this idea through to reality even mooted it to Heljan and was promptly shot down by being told that a 50 was a complete non-starter.

Interesting. I suppose it doesn't suit Heljan's "One Bodyshell suits no-one" policy. They've cobbled up late liveries on the 'as built' 37 (which amazingly have sold very well !!) but they couldn't surely get away with Largo or NSE on an 'as-built' 50...?? ...could they?? :O :nono: :jester:

A Largo 50 would take me right back to my spotting days. My problem is simply lack of funds, but good on you to everyone who does get one. Plus, I'm still saving for LLC's promised Type 2, which IS going to be a D63xx - just 'cos I say so!! :P

Not w*shl*sting in any way whatsoever :blush:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 4

A Largo 50 would take me right back to my spotting days. My problem is simply lack of funds, but good on you to everyone who does get one.

For those who haven't read the facebook page yet, Steven just announced that the first payment of £160 deposit due in the next 10 weeks when the CAD model is revealed, with the remaining funds due about 5 months later, in case that helps your budgeting.

Heljan have just announced a Refurbished class 50.

If I'm honest, I know which will be the better model...

It does throw a bit of a spanner though...

Couldn't they have announced a 66 instead?

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 1

Just heard this myself - rather convenient timing. Personally i'm sticking with the LLC model having seen what Heljan churn out for their price tag.

• Like 2

So much for the 50 being a "non starter"... until they realise people actually want it.

Reminds me of Dapol announcing a Jinty out of the blue, seeing as someone else is likely to have more custom for their Pannier Tank rather than Dapol's. Certain O scale Manfacturer's track records are going to turn & bite them soon, as the competition grows.

• Like 2

Just heard the Heljan news and regardless of being a bit put out by this Facebook stuff I would opt for llc too, think Heljan have just got caught out - good. Anyway has anyone decided how you can order an llc 50 if you can at all,need some clarity here. Sorry if I'm a bit behind been at work all day.

Just heard the Heljan news and regardless of being a bit put out by this Facebook stuff I would opt for llc too, think Heljan have just got caught out - good. Anyway has anyone decided how you can order an llc 50 if you can at all,need some clarity here. Sorry if I'm a bit behind been at work all day.

They will be available direct from LLC or from their registered dealers (Ourselves included) on general release.

I believe all of the spaces for the 200 early adopter models have been allocated - but it won't hurt to get on the facebook page and declare interest

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 3

I can understand the backlash on here as Facebook can be a bit of a sore point for those of us who don't use it.

I've never used it for a variety of reasons and have got really fed up with various friends who assume that I will sign up just to talk to them.  I have found out from a member on here that I could join up without anyone else realising in order to take part in closed groups such as this but it would leave me in an awkward position when friends ask me to be their FB friend.  Do I lie and say I'm still not on or do I spend 10 minutes trying to say no without upsetting them?

They will be available direct from LLC or from their registered dealers (Ourselves included) on general release.

I believe all of the spaces for the 200 early adopter models have been allocated - but it won't hurt to get on the facebook page and declare interest

Thanks for the help there, all perfectly clear. I don't do Facebook but I thank those who thought of the idea and they should benefit from the cheaper ones, I'm just pleased not to be missing out. Can't see Heljan sticking with their Class 50 wish they would do a 56 but the rmweb police booted me off for wishlisting recently so I'll shut up! Going to be an expensive year with the Class 20s you have to buy them in pairs - don't you?

• Like 1