Little Loco Company - Ruston 48DS

The Nth Degree

My new NCE PowerCab arrived, and I was able to set it up and test all the higher functions on my 15's decoder. Brilliant!

I think I'll be remapping a few decoder functions if it is possible - we have commonly used standards for functions over here. I need to dig out the big Zimo decoder manual I printed, but I'm fairly sure this is doable.

Paul

Interested to know that you have connected such a large capacitance. As I understand it from the manual, Zimo state that 2200uF is the max.

Steve

Steve,

It depends which page of which version of the decoder manual to which you are refering. I've seen 'max' values fluctuate over the years from 2200uF to 5000uF. There are often more than one max figure quoted in the same manual.

Direct guidance from ZIMO is that supercaps are OK provided that the voltage seen by the caps is regulated at 16v max. The dialectic strength is the important factor rather than the size of the capacitance.

MX645R and MX645P22 (PluX decoder as used in the Class 15) have in-rush current control and voltage regulation built into the decoder. That's why you don't need expensive add-on boards with additional circuitry to use caps with many ZIMO decoder types.

As a matter of interest, such an array will be fitted as standard to the next in line Ruston 48DS to ensure smooth and trouble free operation of such a small wheelbase 0-4-0 model.

I've been using similar set ups for years.

EDM models fitted them to Ixion Fowler and Minerva Peckett sound-fitted models.

You can even get them into the cab of a Bachmann Class 08. Exceptional running characteristics, but unfortunately a bit of a squeeze for the driver. LOL.

As Norman says, the duration of running after losing DCC signal can be controlled via CV153. If the decoder does not detect a track power source within this duration, the model's motor will be stopped.

Kind regards,

Paul

Steve,

It depends which page of which version of the decoder manual to which you are refering. I've seen 'max' values fluctuate over the years from 2200uF to 5000uF. There are often more than one max figure quoted in the same manual.

Direct guidance from ZIMO is that supercaps are OK provided that the voltage seen by the caps is regulated at 16v max. The dialectic strength is the important factor rather than the size of the capacitance.

MX645R and MX645P22 (PluX decoder as used in the Class 15) have in-rush current control and voltage regulation built into the decoder. That's why you don't need expensive add-on boards with additional circuitry to use caps with many ZIMO decoder types.

As a matter of interest, such an array will be fitted as standard to the next in line Ruston 48DS to ensure smooth and trouble free operation of such a small wheelbase 0-4-0 model.

I've been using similar set ups for years.

EDM models fitted them to Ixion Fowler and Minerva Peckett sound-fitted models.

You can even get them into the cab of a Bachmann Class 08. Exceptional running characteristics, but unfortunately a bit of a squeeze for the driver. LOL.

As Norman says, the duration of running after losing DCC signal can be controlled via CV153. If the decoder does not detect a track power source within this duration, the model's motor will be stopped.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul. I'll have a go with some 2.7V supercaps.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

On Wednesday the Ruston CAD was submitted to the factory. Somebody start the stopwatch! In China, it took over a year from this stage to reach model delivery, so let's see what the UK does in comparison. My money's on late June/early July – this year...

I'm extremely proud of what we (Nikki Wilkes, Paul Chetter and myself) have achieved under the bonnet – literally – on the Rustons. As I'm sure you're aware there is precious little space to hide everything away on a 48DS – a large open cab leaves only a very small and narrow bonnet to put everything, and by everything I mean a motor and gearbox, the decoder, adapter board, speaker and capacitor bank, not to mention a prototypical drive system, on ours by toothed belt rather than chains.

My only nagging doubt is the size of the teeth on the gears. Proportionately, they are quite big, but in a test rig there was no sign of 'cogging' or stepping (which was my worry), despite the size of the teeth, so to avoid all possible or potential problems we are creating a second test set of helical-cut gears to test alongside the traditionally toothed set. The best performing set will be chosen for the final model.

I've had a few queries on specification of the models, particularly, despite all models being DCC, will they run on DC. The answer is, absolutely! You can even have rudimentary sound on DC if you choose the sound-equipped version. The reason all models will be DCC is that, being such a small wheelbase model, any irregularities in track could cause an interruption in current collection, and therefore a stall. To solve this, we have added a capacitor bank which, through only ZIMO decoders, is available to use on DC as well as DCC. So, despite dead frogs, overly-undulating track, or simply dirty trackwork, the Rustons will power through until they find current again.

The factory is enthusiastic to start and I'm really excited to see it being made only 10 miles away from where I live – not only that, but in an historic wagon works building (the building was the ironworks and originally had installed a huge furnace and still has four-brick thick walls!). With only three people on the team, I think we've created something really special and at a price point that is unbeatable. Where else can you buy an O gauge model locomotive, produced in the UK with DCC decoder, capacitor bank and sound-capable for only £225? And with full sound for less than £300? Plus, and let's not forget, a healthy donation to Lincolnshire County Council's Lincsstothepast program, which is archiving and digitising the entire Ruston Works design archive for freely-available public use.

The next model is already on the drawing board and will be announced at a later date. Again, we are teaming up with a charity and good base of experts to produce another highly detailed, good value model with unbeatable specification. We will also introduce what will become our common digital interface, which will feature on all loco models from then on. I'm hoping to also introduce this board as a stand-alone unit that kit builders can purchase to convert their DC models into easily-adaptable DCC models with very little additional work.

Finally, with plenty of space in the next model, I'm concentrating on top quality sound performance, and have already started designing the subwoofer...

Steve

• Like 7

Thanks for the question. The first issues will be in Ruston Green with appropriate lining for each cab type, but because we're fairly dynamic I'm open to other popular livery suggestions. One strong contender will be a black version of the closed cab.

I'll also take this opportunity to thank my research team, and a very special mention to David Hall, who literally wrote the book on these locos. Because of the vigorous checking and amending this is a much finer-detailed and accurate model because them.

Steve

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just starting to pick up on this Thread...

Could I just ask what the delivery date is for the Ruston and how do I register an interest in such?

Reading elsewhere (on RMW) about the LLC BR Brake Van, will such be a variant that is different to the Slaters kit and proposed Dapol version?

Thanks in anticipation.

Kind regards,

CME.

Hello CME, the Rustons will be out late June / early July. The factory and I have developed a very good scheduling and approval system that no Chinese factory can complete with, both in quality and timing. I am a stickler for detail and planning, so I don't expect any delays, but if there are any it will be by other suppliers - motors, electrical components or engineering supplies. Thankfully, one particular organisation has no power to influence Little Loco's production any longer as we don't now share the same production facilities. The delay caused by outside interference caused quite a lot of problems for us, and to say that I didn't appreciate that would be a significant understatement.

Regarding other manufacturer's announcements, I have not heard anything. I was cycling with my son yesterday and in Kent today, so anything that has happened this weekend I'm blissfully unaware of. Regardless, Little Loco will produce variations of the LNER and BR brake van. Whatever any other manufacturer does is totally their call.

Kind regards

Steve

• Like 11

Will you make the 48DS available with S7 wheelsets, Steve?  I have a feeling this had been mentioned, but cannot see any reference to a S7 option on LLC's ordering webpage.

Thanks,

Tony

Hello Tony, yes the Rustons will be available with S7 wheels. 50 models will produced for exactly the same price as the O gauge models.

Steve

• Like 1

Steve when will the identity of the 'mystery type 2' (diesel I assume) be announced?

I can't say at the moment, unfortunately. There are several individuals and one organisation to pass this through as yet, to make sure our models are the very best and most accurate they can be. I would hazard a guess sometime over summer.

Apologies for being a bit vague.

• Like 3

Hello all, several bits of new to catch up on.

Firstly, Railtec have delivered the sample set of the transfers. They look very neatly done and high quality. I will have to write an application guide to go with them as the layout is compact, rather than in the positional way of the original set. I hope to get this done this week.

For those of you so inclined, Little Loco has a Facebook page! A kind soul set it up for me, as I wouldn't have much of an idea, but I'm getting my head around it. I hope to be able to offer some exclusives now an again. First up will be fully decorated special edition D8234 LSP in 3 liveries. This will be very restricted in supply, so if you are interested please drop me an email at sales@littleloco.co.uk

Finally, and possibly the biggest news, we are offering a crowdfunded model of the BR Class 50, a minor hero of the Western and South Eastern regions during the 80s. Full details are on the Facebook pages of LLC and Scott Bostock's Modern Image O Gauge Modellers group, links below:

www.facebook.com/groups/1864404633848334/

www.facebook.com/groups/444710745629216/

Steve

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hello all, several bits of new to catch up on.

Firstly, Railtec have delivered the sample set of the transfers. They look very neatly done and high quality. I will have to write an application guide to go with them as the layout is compact, rather than in the positional way of the original set. I hope to get this done this week.

For those of you so inclined, Little Loco has a Facebook page! A kind soul set it up for me, as I wouldn't have much of an idea, but I'm getting my head around it. I hope to be able to offer some exclusives now an again. First up will be fully decorated special edition D8234 LSP in 3 liveries. This will be very restricted in supply, so if you are interested please drop me an email at sales@littleloco.co.uk

Finally, and possibly the biggest news, we are offering a crowdfunded model of the BR Class 50, a minor hero of the Western and South Eastern regions during the 80s. Full details are on the Facebook pages of LLC and Scott Bostock's Modern Image O Gauge Modellers group, links below:

www.facebook.com/groups/1864404633848334/

www.facebook.com/groups/444710745629216/

Steve

Hi Steve,

Not on Facebook - do you have the address for the crowdfunding page?  Know a couple of people who would be interested, but none of us are on Facebook!

Rich

• Like 1

The Class 50 crowdfunding project is a social media exclusive at the moment, but we may widen it out a little later. The models will also be available for retail sale from my current stockists. Retail prices at the moment are £500 for non-sound and £600 for sound, but if possible we will try to reduce it. The models will be made in the UK.

All models will be DCC (but will run on DC), all will include built-in speakers with subwoofer, and all will include a capacitor bank. Both original and refurbished models will be produced in all in-service liveries. Limited edition fully decorated late NSE models will also be available from a selected retailer – these will be named and numbered.

Thanks, Steve

• Like 5

I may be speaking out of turn here, but why does everyone now seem to think that the whole world is on social media?  Im not, and have no intention of joining, yet this is a project I would be interested in putting money into to, and im basically being told no - something doesnt seem right.  If we're willing to join Facebook then yes - sorry I disagree with the whole Facebook thing, and computers know too much about my life already.

While I'm a relatively new member, i've been reading rmWeb for a long time, and I've lost count on here of how many times people have said well there's no market place, or people need to support this project or that to make sure that its viable and worth doing others.  So im hoping somebody will explain to me why when i have money that I would be willing to put into a large logo Class 50 in O gauge to support the idea, get the project off the ground, im told nope your not on social media so you can pay the higher price?  This seems totall ludicrous to me.

I didnt buy a Class 15, but only because its not in my region or era, but when I heard that Little Loco was doing a Class 50 - my initial reaction was where do sign up. I know the quality, and the detail that went into the 15 and that was amazing - but I have to say my view of LLC has been very dented, its almost a case of saying if your not in the 'in gang' in the playground go play elsewhere.  Im not in that 'in gang' and like I've said i have no intention of being so and im not the only one.  Im all for limiting the number of models produced, like exclusive editions for example, which are sold on a first come, first served basis - that is fair, but this situation seems far from that.

Maybe I just have different views and im one in the wilderness, but I guess we should be happy that Little Loco has grown so quickly that they are in a position that money for new projects can be turned away.  Am i disappointed yes - because I thought LLC had a better background and interest in those that buy its models.   I apologise if this comes over as a rant, its not intended to, but I do feel strongly about excluding people who want to participate and put their money where their mouth is, but are told nope, we're not interested, yet in another breath the same people are saying we need people to put money in or buy to make this work! Total hypocrisy in my book, and yet another example of customer service having gone out of the window in the 21st century.

Sorry Steve, I've extrolled virtues to many people, both friends, colleagues and unknown individuals at exhibitions when we've got talking, about how good LLC is, how the quality is fantanstic on the 15s, and applauded the work that has gone into building the Rushton model in the UK - but this decision I personally believe is a bad error of judgement, and one that, as a result, I feel I cannot recommend the company again.  I wish you luck with the project and hope that you get the numbers you need from that apparently wonderful world of social media.

Richie,

You are not alone in the wilderness, I quite agree with your comments.  What is wrong with the LLC website that it isn't deemed suitable for advertising new projects, surely it would reach a larger audience, perhaps I'm a bit too old to understand.

Regards, Mick.

Hello Richie, I'm very sorry you feel that way. Allow me to explain in more detail.

Firstly, this project is a joint venture, so is not solely a LLC project. On Friday an idea was born on FB and by Sunday just about the whole limited allotment had been pre-allocated - it was that fast. If, when we firm up those intentions, there turns out to be spare models available we will obviously widen it out, but it would be unfair of us to take away models from those who contributed and supported the idea from the beginning.

Stay tuned, you never know what could happen.

Steve

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Maybe I just have different views and im one in the wilderness, but I guess we should be happy that Little Loco has grown so quickly that they are in a position that money for new projects can be turned away.  Am i disappointed yes - because I thought LLC had a better background and interest in those that buy its models.   I apologise if this comes over as a rant, its not intended to, but I do feel strongly about excluding people who want to participate and put their money where their mouth is, but are told nope, we're not interested, yet in another breath the same people are saying we need people to put money in or buy to make this work! Total hypocrisy in my book, and yet another example of customer service having gone out of the window in the 21st century.

Someone is always excluded regardless of how you operate (bricks and mortar/traditional e-commerce/social media) unless you are able to offer to all channels with an unlimited number for an unlimited time period.  By restricting supply to particular channels it makes it more manageable (and reduces admin) for a small company (it is why we try to stay mostly with internet only sales, though we will take offline orders by post and carrier pigeon).

If the numbers required to crowdfund something are rapidly reached then either the supplier can decide to extend the number available or say sorry, first come first served.  A difficult decision but entirely understandable particularly if other investors want a return.

Cheers, Mike

Does that mean I've missed out on the Class 50 (with regards to the pre-allotment you mentioned)? I've just put in a request to join the LLC group.

Not necessarily. Everything up until now has been a verbal intent, so until we set up the reservation structure no models have physically been allocated to a person. There is definitely still time to join Facebook and enrol in one of the two groups organising this venture - links above.

Only 200 models will be available for earlybirds for only £360. For a model almost half a metre long, packed with standard features, even the full retail price is nothing short of a bargain.

Steve

• Like 1

I have to agree with Richie and Mick, I am disturbed at the idea of making a sales campaign exclusive to social media.  Like them I am not involved in SM nor do I intend to be in the near or far future.  A Class 50 is not  on my list but, Steve, use the website please.

Cheers

John