TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

So finally we have an F Class running under it's own power... I had the drive unit working a couple of weeks ago, but in the meantime it has been dropped and repaired twice and I have moved workbench, hence the change of scenery in the video. It took a while for me to work up the motivation to trim the bodyshell down to clear the crankpins, conrods and motor wires. I have updated the CAD files to reflect this, but each model will still need individual sanding to make the chassis run perfectly - I don't want to remove any more material from the CAD models as they won't print properly and won't be strong enough. In my enthusiasm I did go through one of the walls on the conrod cover as you can just about see on the clip, but I'll deal with that later. For now, I'm just happy it works!

• Like 1

The chassis looks nicely successful. Two questions: what variant of N20 are you using and where did you the final-drive gears? 

The N20 motor is the 12v 600rpm version, although I may swap it out for the 300rpm version. They're from China on 6 week delivery but I have a small stock of both for various projects. The same story with the gears really, although the crown gear is modified to fit the 1/8" axle and reduced in thickness. I will supply the motor and gears with the prints as it can be difficult to find the exact right ones.

I'm planning to go back to a more conventional worm and wheel design where space allows as I think that design can be smoother with the addition of a flywheel - unfortunately the models I've designed recently have been too small for this, or in the case of the F class, would intrude into the cab area.

My latest order arrived this morning, including the updated F class tender and the Neilson 2-2-2t, along with a couple of other models for other people... The Neilson body has a few errors, mostly lines across the body and footplate, so I've requested a reprint of that. Everything else is looking good though!

Now, I must finish the F class test build before starting anything else, must finish F class first, must finish F class first...

post-25124-0-16645200-1538394988_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-55280700-1538395004_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-06091700-1538395016_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Looking very good.  If I understand it, you are going to release an F, F1 and a B1.

I reckon two F1s and one each of the F and B would suit me down to the ground.  Throw-in a resin O1 kit from Golden Arrow and that would keep me busy for a while.  I have an O stashed somewhere, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't go for a printed one in due course.

The only major omission for me would be a Q.  Now I reckon one could probably hack a Q out of the Hornby H Class, or simply used the motorised coupled wheels with a printed body.

Enough appropriate coaches, that will be the biggest problem. Perhaps a shed diorama is the answer!

Now that Neilson is lovely, and dangerously desirable, because as a proprietor of a small freelance company, there is no real justification for saying "no"! 

I just hope we sell this bloody house soon so I can invest in some of the wonderful stuff that's being produced.  

Edited by Edwardian

Looking very good.  If I understand it, you are going to release an F, F1 and a B1.

I reckon two F1s and one each of the F and B would suit me down to the ground.  Throw-in a resin O1 kit from Golden Arrow and that would keep me busy for a while.  I have an O stashed somewhere, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't go for a printed one in due course.

The only major omission for me would be a Q.  Now I reckon one could probably hack a Q out of the Hornby H Class, or simply used the motorised coupled wheels with a printed body.

Enough appropriate coaches, that will be the biggest problem. Perhaps a shed diorama is the answer!

Now that Neilson is lovely, and dangerously desirable, because as a proprietor of a small freelance company, there is no real justification for saying "no"! 

I just hope we sell this bloody house soon so I can invest in some of the wonderful stuff that's being produced.  

That's the plan, the F/F1/B1 will be available once I'm happy with the test build. Which, since the tender arrived this morning, I should probably get on with.

If I can get the R1 chassis to work, I will also make an original O class body for it as the chassis are very similar, but that would be some time away. I do have drawings for a Q class too somewhere, but I'm not going to commit to any new projects right now until I get a better handle on my workload for the next year. I do have a (an?) H class on order though...

• Like 3

Howdy,

I received my test prints for an 'N' gauge F1 from Tom today and they really are exceptional.

post-6986-0-45993300-1538572975_thumb.jpg

Removing the supports could provide hours of fun as no matter how many bits you snip there's always one more bit joined on but I got there eventually ;) At present I have only roughly trimmed. Unlike normal 3D prints there's no layering at all so a big thumbs up. There was a support that attached to both the rear lip of the tender and the water filler whose removal caused a small bit of the rave to come adrift but a couple of seconds with superglue sorted that.

I'm not sure when I will have time to progress further but as proof of concept a Terrier chassis that I have already modified to a tender drive was slipped in (after removal of a flat strip which I assume is to hold an 'OO' chassis) and fits perfectly so that's power sorted and the spare rear 2 drivers from a Dapol B17 fit spot on and rotate freely. The Dapol M7 bogie is just there for appearance as it was to hand.

post-6986-0-13431200-1538573554_thumb.jpg

This really is a cracking bit of work Tom and I hope to have it finished soon, just not sure to go with wartime grey or give it the full Wainwright :)

• Like 3

Go full Wainwright!

That really is stunning - I wonder if a 00 terrier chassis could be used as a tender drive?

Depends if the OO Terrier chassis is all wheel drive or just with one axle using the rods to transmit power to the others. Luckily the N one has all wheels geared so removal of the rods has no effect on traction.

Thanks for the photos Gareth, that is looking good. Please do post updates here as and when you get to it.

The flat strip referred to is used in the OO version for the central wheel mounting and the pickup mounting - the space inside the boiler is very limited, so I've designed it so that the pickups can be fitted to the tender (smaller wheels so less friction losses) and wired into the main chassis via a hole underneath. There's plenty of space in the tender to add weight so there's good electrical contact. I did think about making it tender drive.

Thanks for the photos Gareth, that is looking good. Please do post updates here as and when you get to it.

The flat strip referred to is used in the OO version for the central wheel mounting and the pickup mounting - the space inside the boiler is very limited, so I've designed it so that the pickups can be fitted to the tender (smaller wheels so less friction losses) and wired into the main chassis via a hole underneath. There's plenty of space in the tender to add weight so there's good electrical contact. I did think about making it tender drive.

Just wondering if it is possible to remove it for prints in N as in most cases it will be tender drive or at least the motor in the tender powering the drivers. I was a little worried removing it in case I damaged the tender sides as the material is a bit brittle. It did come out ok though, just a thought for anyone in the future.

I'll post up progress photos.

• Like 2

IIRC the rebuilds started in 1913, so depending on your particular loco, the full Wainwright may not be appropriate - alternatively they may not have been repainted for a while, so you could probably get away with it until just after the war.

The rebuilds started in 1903 so full Wainwright, simplified or grey. IIRC only 6 were rebuilt under Wainwright so full livery may have been limited to these. I've numerous photos but it's so hard to see how detailed the livery is until they turned grey which is easy to spot. I'm tempted to go for simplified but will continue looking for photos.

Much less modelling time recently, but the F Class is still coming along nicely. I'm waiting until I have some daytime modelling time before I do the rest of the painting as I've probably breathed in too much lead already. In the meantime, I've been mocking up the Neilson tank.

post-25124-0-76003000-1539259015_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-38830600-1539259044_thumb.jpg

My 'N' gauge F1 is moving along slowly. I decided to go full Wainwright but unlike the lovely square transfers I've put together for other models this if full of curves and even the tender has springs in the way. Many hours of transfer design was spent before I gave up. It's still going to be in the full Wainwright but it's just going to take longer to do.

• Like 1

I wonder if it might be possible (if Tom were to agree) to use the CAD model to produce a side view of the loco, in proportion, which might make designing for the curves much easier? You'd be able to use it as an overlay to check your geometry, and perhaps you'd both be able to collaborate to produce transfers suitable for the model in any scale?

*Hints hopefully towards a 4mm scale set of transfers for full SE&CR livery*

I have been thinking about this, I'll need to do transfers for my own in OO. The OO tender has a slight space between the tender side and the springs to allow a rectangular transfer to be used, for N gauge that would make the springs too weak; other than that, I don't see why a set of transfers couldn't be scaled. 

I will work on it at some point, but I perhaps won't have the time for a while until my workload calms down a bit. 

Hmm.

• Like 1

I wonder if it might be possible (if Tom were to agree) to use the CAD model to produce a side view of the loco, in proportion, which might make designing for the curves much easier? You'd be able to use it as an overlay to check your geometry, and perhaps you'd both be able to collaborate to produce transfers suitable for the model in any scale?

I've done that before for my C Class and took a square on photo of the F1 to do exactly what you suggest. I'm sure it's possible, I've nearly done it but I do it all on Word, other programmes would probably be better. The cabsides etc, are actually easy compared with the springs on the tender. On my O Class they were added afterwards making the transfer a simple rectangle but not an option here.

To be honest I've used transfers for whole panels as it's easier but I've always preferred the finish of the more traditional methods.

• Like 1

Slow progress is at least some progress. I'm trying to work up the courage to paint the black parts of the F Class, so in the meantime, the Neilson has had a couple of coats of Ford Balliol Blue, which has worked nicely enough to make me wonder if there's a car colour relatively close to SECR green - it would certainly be a step up from my brush painting.

post-25124-0-90544000-1539852855_thumb.jpg

• Like 6