TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

3dhubs.

More than that I can't really specify as hubs on there tend to come and go, just a case of choosing carefully. I've used a few different ones, the main thing I would say is use a UK supplier, they will be much more useful when prints aren't 100% correct so it's worth the higher cost.

Feel free to drop me a message if you want an N scale F, F1 or B1 and I can sort that out for you. I currently have no plans to backdate the B1 to a B as I have enough work to get on with for now, but I suppose it's something I might look at in the future.

• Like 1

I'm a bit too busy to do any proper modelling at the moment, but I have made some modifications to the SECR 313 model, which I think is almost ready for test building. I'm not 100% sure the chassis will work properly, but I have a backup plan in case it doesn't work.

I have also modified one of the previous projects into a new form, but I'll show you that when it's done.

post-25124-0-32470500-1543094368.jpg

post-25124-0-68404700-1543094380_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I think that this is the point that I realise just how far I've fallen behind in the world of CAD - that is truly stunning, Sir, and I shall be wanting one at some point. Or maybe three... or five.

I just wish that I was able to do CAD to that sort of standard!

I like the Manning Class F. What wheels will it use? There 2ft. 9in. diameter wheels made by Alan Gibson but they'e not the double boss type. They do the double boss type as a 3ft. wheel though and I guess that'll be near enough. Or are you going to do the correct diameter as a 3D print to fit in the Gibson tyres?

• Like 1

I've planned it around using scale-link 12mm wheels (3ft in scale) as it's close enough for my purposes. They don't have the double boss either but I can always add some paper/thin card overlays to get a reasonable approximation of it. The gibson double boss 3ft ones would also be suitable, but I prefer the easy quartering of the scale-link or markits type.

I'm a bit too busy to do any proper modelling at the moment, but I have made some modifications to the SECR 313 model, which I think is almost ready for test building. I'm not 100% sure the chassis will work properly, but I have a backup plan in case it doesn't work.

I have also modified one of the previous projects into a new form, but I'll show you that when it's done.

attachicon.gif3134.JPG

attachicon.gif3135.JPG

Very nice.

More expense - grumble, grumble!

How close to a standard H Class was this?  I ask because the Isle of Eldernell & Mereport Railway had one as a works shunter, and I've a feeling that the West Norfolk also had one. 

In this condition, I'm not really sure how close it is to an H as the SECR modified it a lot. The boiler and frames look similar, the cab and smokebox are a bit different. Mr. Ruston of this parish has built a couple of 'aitches so he might be the man to ask.

There's really no such thing as a standard Manning Wardle but I expect you mean one straight out of the hallowed ground of the Boyne Engine Works and unsullied by the hand of inferior workmanship..   :onthequiet:  This is a Class F, which is a 14 inches shorter than a H. Smaller wheels, smaller cylinders.

Custon, a Class F, built 1878  (The S.E.R. loco 313 was built 1881) is what I suppose could be described as standard. It certainly appears to be unaltered. Note the curved backsheet.

post-494-0-22634500-1543241407.jpg

Another Class F, built 1883. This one has a straight backsheet, so the cab is probably factory-fitted.

post-494-0-49880700-1543241754.jpg

• Like 2

There's really no such thing as a standard Manning Wardle but I expect you mean one straight out of the hallowed ground of the Boyne Engine Works and unsullied by the hand of inferior workmanship..   :onthequiet:  This is a Class F, which is a 14 inches shorter than a H. Smaller wheels, smaller cylinders.

Custon, a Class F, built 1878  (The S.E.R. loco 313 was built 1881) is what I suppose could be described as standard. It certainly appears to be unaltered. Note the curved backsheet.

attachicon.gifCuston.jpg

Another Class F, built 1883. This one has a straight backsheet, so the cab is probably factory-fitted.

attachicon.gifClassF861.jpg

That is very helpful, thanks.

I recognise Guston (another one of those pesky pre-Grouping 'Gs' discussed elsewhere!). It was a contractor's engine on the GCR London Extension. Apparently the wheels were 2'9".

So, if Tom can evolve a "standard" Class F MW along these lines, and we can work out a simple way to motorise, the WNR will be a customer.

• Like 2

Some final changes made to the Manning Wardle, including slightly different springs, cab detail and adding brakes. Having looked at it, I will probably also make a 'standard' Manning Wardle class F at some point, at least if this chassis works properly. It's mainly just a different cab.

In other news, I've just acquired an electrotren 0-6-0 chassis, so I'll probably start coming up with some things to make out of it. Any bright ideas?

post-25124-0-69628600-1543617182.jpg

• Like 4

What is the wheelbase?

I measured it as 20mm + 24mm, ie 5'0" + 6'0" in 4mm.  The wheels are 14mm (3' 6").  I didn't actually buy it so don't know the axle diameter for re-wheeling potential.

• Like 1

Buhar replied just as I was getting the calipers out! I make the wheelbase to be the same, maybe 0.5mm longer both front and rear. The axles are not 1/8", I'm pretty sure they are 2mm.

As for that rather square Hunslet, it's a possibility, and I do have a bit of a thing for odd locos. It would be perfect for fitting a big motor and flywheel too, so it could run really nicely. But it would be tricky to design as there don't seem to be any drawings, or indeed many photos (though that didn't stop me with the Neilson). Using the electrotren chassis might be a bit of a compromise too as the wheels are 2mm (ish) too big and the wheelbase is much longer at the back than on that loco. I'd have to get rid of the cylinders too, so it might be simpler to make my own chassis for it, if I ever solve how to do conrods properly.

Buhar replied just as I was getting the calipers out! I make the wheelbase to be the same, maybe 0.5mm longer both front and rear. The axles are not 1/8", I'm pretty sure they are 2mm.

I trust your calipers over my ruler in the shop.  2mm axles seem to be the norm for many models these days and as this model has it's origins in metric-land 2mm makes sense.

Some final changes made to the Manning Wardle, including slightly different springs, cab detail and adding brakes. Having looked at it, I will probably also make a 'standard' Manning Wardle class F at some point, at least if this chassis works properly. It's mainly just a different cab.

In other news, I've just acquired an electrotren 0-6-0 chassis, so I'll probably start coming up with some things to make out of it. Any bright ideas?

attachicon.gif3136.JPG

Is the power unit for the MW to be an N20 motor/gearbox?

What is the wheel diameter and wheelbase dimensions (are the spacings between axles the same?) on the Electrotren? If I know those I can look at my books for something to suit an industrial or light railway engine.

Is the power unit for the MW to be an N20 motor/gearbox?

What is the wheel diameter and wheelbase dimensions (are the spacings between axles the same?) on the Electrotren? If I know those I can look at my books for something to suit an industrial or light railway engine.

The Manning Wardle will have an N20 as it's one of the few things that will fit without going down the very expensive Mashima 10-series plus a high-level gearbox route. It then uses a crown gear to power the axle.

Buhar worked out the electrotren chassis a few posts ago as being "20mm + 24mm, ie 5'0" + 6'0" in 4mm.  The wheels are 14mm (3' 6").". These things are tricky to measure so you might want to add a tolerance of say +-0.5mm to that.

The Manning Wardle will have an N20 as it's one of the few things that will fit without going down the very expensive Mashima 10-series plus a high-level gearbox route. It then uses a crown gear to power the axle.

Buhar worked out the electrotren chassis a few posts ago as being "20mm + 24mm, ie 5'0" + 6'0" in 4mm.  The wheels are 14mm (3' 6").". These things are tricky to measure so you might want to add a tolerance of say +-0.5mm to that.

There's no need to use a Mashima anymore. The "N20" motors are the same dimensions as the 10/15 Mashima and are available as the motor only for a fraction of the Mashima's price. I bought five of the motor only N20s for around ten pounds and am currently scratchbuilding a Manning Wardle Class H that has one fitted to a High Level 60:1 Short Slimliner+ . My RT Models Manning Wardle Old Class I already has one fitted and it runs easier than the locos that are fitted with Mashimas.  Having so far built 4 locomotives with the N20 motor/gearbox and crown wheel drive I consider the High Level gearboxes to be superior for slow-speed control against the N20 and crown wheel drive but the latter cannot be beaten for power, as long as the model has enough weight to make use of that power.