TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

More painting done over the last few days, the black sections and details of the F class have been done, and the same for the Neilson. For the Neilson's frames I succumbed to pressure and reverted from my planned grey to a reddish/lake-ish type colour, a bit lighter than SECR indian red. This was a pot I'd mixed up when trying to do SECR colours without buying the expensive pheonix paint. I've decided against lining it for now, I think the brass boiler bands and details give it enough interest already, adding lining would just make it a bit fussy.

That promise I made to myself about finishing the F class before starting the Neilson went well.

post-25124-0-04273700-1540718819_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-14382000-1540718838.jpg

post-25124-0-66502100-1540718848_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

More painting done over the last few days, the black sections and details of the F class have been done, and the same for the Neilson. For the Neilson's frames I succumbed to pressure and reverted from my planned grey to a reddish/lake-ish type colour, a bit lighter than SECR indian red. This was a pot I'd mixed up when trying to do SECR colours without buying the expensive pheonix paint. I've decided against lining it for now, I think the brass boiler bands and details give it enough interest already, adding lining would just make it a bit fussy.

That promise I made to myself about finishing the F class before starting the Neilson went well.

IMG_20181020_095105.jpg

IMG_20181021_200808.jpg

IMG_20181027_092935.jpg

Looking very good indeed TS. Keep going. I might even want one...

Thanks for the kind comments folks, this whole 3D printing thing has revitalised my modelling activities - I'm not really a scenery guy and had got a bit stuck in not really wanting to make stuff for my layout. But if I can make my own locos, and other people are interested in them too, that's an even better reason to turn the TV off and get a bit creative!

See, this is where you have the distinct advantage over me. For me the CAD work is just a means to an end, whilst for you it's an enjoyable activity. Keep it up - you're doing grand!

CAD is an interesting challenge rather than enjoyable - it's still not a patch on playing trains!

• Like 1

(We Northerners will conquer all of Britain someday! )

I'm only seeing evidence of the opposite - my dad was northern born and bred, but ever since he came south, his accent and turns of phrase have been gradually moving southward, via a sort of midlands accent, then vaguely north-london-ish, much to his dismay. He'll be home counties before too long! It'll happen to you too if you're not careful...

• Like 1

Sometimes we even talk about trains!

Just in case the off-topic police decide to patrol this neighbourhood, here's a Neilson update. The wheelblocks have been assembled and slide nicely in the chassis tube sections. Springing is done with bits of washing-up sponge (new!) and then held in with a loop of wire to give a simple, if slightly bodged, version of compensation.

post-25124-0-35341900-1540901387_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-28425900-1540901414_thumb.jpg

Edited by TurboSnail

I like the 2-2-2T. It is a very unusual prototype. I'm interested to know how well it runs, how much it weighs, and how much it can haul when it's finished.

We'll have to see. I don't actually have a proper controller at my student house, so it may have to wait until Christmas! The plan is for it to have pickups on all 6 wheels, and there's plenty of space in the side tanks to add weight, I just need to be careful balancing it because of the sprung front and rear axles.

• Like 1

I've been slowly making pickups for both the F class and the Neilson. The F class has phosphor bronze strip on the driving wheels as well as a couple of pre-made wiper pickups in the tender. The Neilson has a central wiper pickup and strip for the outer wheels, hopefully this will not add too much friction to the system so the wheels still turn freely. Couldn't resist putting the F class together for a photo...

post-25124-0-81747600-1541346863_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-31661800-1541346875_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Does anyone know of a source of SECR loco lining transfers? I can find lettering and insignia, but no lining. I've been playing with the paper transfers idea, but for some reason I'm not quite happy with it. Especially since I'd have to remove all the handrails on the F class to fit them. Surely there must be enough demand for a manufacturer to make at least just straight lines and corner sections that the user could join up.

Does anyone know of a source of SECR loco lining transfers? I can find lettering and insignia, but no lining. I've been playing with the paper transfers idea, but for some reason I'm not quite happy with it. Especially since I'd have to remove all the handrails on the F class to fit them. Surely there must be enough demand for a manufacturer to make at least just straight lines and corner sections that the user could join up.

SE Finecast do some, but designed specifically for the locos they produce. .

Just found this thread and have found it incredibly interesting! Exceptional modelling and some incredibly potential. I will key a look out for when the chassis are available. I'm also 'Wrenn-bashing' a pair or R1's so the chassis will be very welcomed!

Just found this thread and have found it incredibly interesting! Exceptional modelling and some incredibly potential. I will key a look out for when the chassis are available. I'm also 'Wrenn-bashing' a pair or R1's so the chassis will be very welcomed!

The R/R1 chassis is on hold for the moment while I try and finish some of the other projects so I don't have too many on the go at once. It just needs conrods to finish, but I've been having some problems with the printed ones, so I'll have to make my own. Yet to decide how I will do that, but I suspect a laser cutter may be involved. When things do get moving again, I'll update the other thread in my signature with the progress.

• Like 1

A sheet of corners and straight lines only works, for the Wainwright scheme, if the distance of the lines from the panel edges is consistent between classes. I don't know if this holds. Or were you suggesting that the builder paint the border colour and add only the fine lining from the transfers?

A sheet of corners and straight lines only works, for the Wainwright scheme, if the distance of the lines from the panel edges is consistent between classes. I don't know if this holds. Or were you suggesting that the builder paint the border colour and add only the fine lining from the transfers?

I think the builder can probably manage the black border ok with a reasonably fine paintbrush, as long as the single red line is also available on the transfer sheet. It's more the curved areas (splashers etc.) that I see being the problem with this plan.