TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

I think the builder can probably manage the black border ok with a reasonably fine paintbrush, as long as the single red line is also available on the transfer sheet. It's more the curved areas (splashers etc.) that I see being the problem with this plan.

Is that SER livery, with the black border, that you're thinking of? Wainwright SECR livery has more of the broader lines to consider. I think the market for SER transfers in 4mm scale is a bit small, although Fox did the wagons already.

But I agree that the builder might paint the outermost border-colour and the rest could be printed.

IIRC the SE Finecast models are all Wainwright designs. 

They do, for example, a livery transfer sheet for the C Class.  One of my many Roundtuit jobs is to consider how adaptable these may be for an O1.

In general I suspect that everything bar boiler band lining is specific to a particular loco and that Stirling curves will be different from Wainwright curves.

Really, your F/F1/M1 range is crying our for custom transfer sheets. Might this be something Ian MacCormac of this parish might be able to produce?  We should ask him nicely. 

I agree, it would be best to have custom transfer sheet - I have two slight issues with that: 1) it would probably be expensive as I don't think the kits will be all that popular and 2) that starts to make me more of a manufacturer/business, which is a little intimidating. That, coupled with the unfortunate fact that I really don't have time to be organising transfers at the moment with all the other projects and coursework on the go. It is something I will look into if/when I have time.

But if I get transfers made for the F/F1/B1, then surely I have to get some for the SECR 313, and the modified Wrenn R/R1, and the potential O class etc.  :scratchhead:

• Like 1

I agree, it would be best to have custom transfer sheet - I have two slight issues with that: 1) it would probably be expensive as I don't think the kits will be all that popular and 2) that starts to make me more of a manufacturer/business, which is a little intimidating. That, coupled with the unfortunate fact that I really don't have time to be organising transfers at the moment with all the other projects and coursework on the go. It is something I will look into if/when I have time.

But if I get transfers made for the F/F1/B1, then surely I have to get some for the SECR 313, and the modified Wrenn R/R1, and the potential O class etc.  :scratchhead:

On the other hand, you might sell one or two more because customers know they won't have to paint Wainwright lining!

I'd have a word with Iain.

You do not have to include them in the kit, just a link to the producer's site.

• Like 1

Folkestone Harbour played a big part in the First World War, with about 10 million troops, medical personnel and refugees passing through the station on their way to the front, or returning to local hospitals or refugee camps - for many, it will have been the last time they ever stood on home soil. The whole place has been 'restored' and very much gentrified since I took these photos. It's at times like this that I wonder if we are equally gentrifying our history, remembering the key figures and heroic stories but forgetting the everyday people who suffered, such as those killed in the Tontine Street bombing in 1917, which led to the realisation that it was no longer just those on the frontline who would pay the price. I would consider myself one of the more switched-on people in my generation when it comes to our history, but it shocks me sometimes how little I know about the Great War, and even the Second World War. The only close family member I have left who lived through it was at school at the time, evacuated from the Kent coast to Wales, along with everyone else from my old school. Once we run out of people like this, I fear we may start to lose track of the importance of the events that took place 100 years ago.

Anyway, enough waffle. I for one am very grateful for the people brave enough to fight for their country, in the past and present, and pray that we will not forget them.

post-25124-0-83931200-1541928466_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-96218600-1541928484_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-52214600-1541928496_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The 2-2-2t is coming along nicely. I need to modify a crown gear to drive it properly, then check the pickups are working. Then it will be a case of adding as much weight as possible and testing!

attachicon.gifIMG_20181104_153043.jpg

That is stunning.

Good choice of colour for the frames.

I hope it makes it to 'general release'

Oh, that's absolutely gorgeous! All it needs now is some red lining and a nameplate :P Watching this with lots of interest, the GSR is always in need of earlier, smaller tank loco designs.

I tend to exhibit a level of ham-handedness that generally prohibits me from lining things... But it will probably get a nameplate. Something Shakespearean, for a layout that I may or may not be very loosely planning...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Something from King Lear, in all likelihood. Which may give you a clue as to the potential layout's location...

A theatre?

Gotta be careful with all those proscenium arches and wings. All too easy to get carried away...

• RMweb Premium

Tell me - Did they have many SECR locos in Leicestershire?

Nearly as many as in Coleshill, Warwickshire - the reputed capital of Britain in the reign of Old King Cole. While the Danes ruled over the Danelaw, he ruled over the Coleslaw.

Well, the LMS did borrow a few F1s, so yes! This particular Shakespearean connection is Kent based, so the layout will (if it gets built) feature part of the SECR coastal line...

You're not supposed to give the answer away!!!

folkestone(jmc_c1908)warren_old19.jpg

shakespeare2.jpg

th-south-eastern-railway-line-on-trestle

• Like 3